Cracked Helmet - Ouch...- Mtbr.com
    In my mind, I can do it!

Cracked Helmet - Ouch...

I have never wrecked bad enough to crack a helmet, until this past weekend. When my head hit the dirt I heard the helmet crack. Here is good cause for anyone to wear a helmet. This would have been my head. As it is now, my head is the only part of my right side that doesn't hurt.

Time for a new helmet....
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2005
    I did that last year..I wish i had taken a pic of it.i could almost pull a peice of the helemt off the side.I did it just goofin around on my big bike with just my xc helmet on and i went to bunny hop up on to the curb....done it a ton of times no prob....and some how just missed and went down hard.It would have been super bad if I had no helmet on..and i was just goofin around so it was just lucky i put a hemet on...good thing, you really never know....Kona

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by konahottie_311
    I did that last year..I wish i had taken a pic of it.i could almost pull a peice of the helemt off the side.I did it just goofin around on my big bike with just my xc helmet on and i went to bunny hop up on to the curb....done it a ton of times no prob....and some how just missed and went down hard.It would have been super bad if I had no helmet on..and i was just goofin around so it was just lucky i put a hemet on...good thing, you really never know....Kona
    Yeah, I hit a jump that I have hit many times in the past with no probems. This time though I guess I was trying to get a little more air so I lifted off maybe too much. The rear of my bike started canting out to my right side so when I hit it was too far over for me to recover. I'm not sure what causes the rear of the bike to do this. Anyway, the jump was nice, the landing sucked...

Jan 2004
    I did the same two weeks ago. Broke the helmet all along the right side front to back. I was going pretty fast down some single track and I have no idea why (can't even remember why I fell in the first place) but I was spit off the bike and my head basically broke the fall. I still remember the feeling of the impact of my head slamming so hard onto the ground. It was like dropping a bowling ball on the floor. It was a downright violent sensation. I had bruises on the side of my head. Landed on my arm afterwards and was barely able to move it for a few days afterwards. Second broken helmet in the last 5 years. Both were Specialized helmets to I think I'll be happy to stick to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Been there, done that....

several times over the years. It's the best argument that there is for wearing a helmet. Kind of a no brainer, cracked helmet, or cracked skull? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figurer it out.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A cracked or broken helmet is sort of a good sign. They are suppose to break upon impact to absorb the energy so it looks like your helmet served it's purpose.

I guess the breaking helmet slows down the acceleration of your head by about a 24th of a second. Does not sound like much but that's the difference between a head ache and a serious injury. That's also why if your helmet takes a blow but is not broken, you may want to think about another one.

mtbr member
    i had a similar fall last week but while riding some singletrack... the bike washed out and i low sided ending up with me slamming into the ground, slamming my ribs on the dirt and my head into a mound. should i replace my helmet since i do not see any cracks or i should retire it and get another?

Members who have read this thread: 0