could this be true? another crack in the militant armor?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

could this be true? another crack in the militant armor?

Hamas 'willing' to recognise Israel

By Khalid Amayreh in the West Bank

Wednesday 12 April 2006, 17:43 Makka Time, 14:43 GMT

An official announcement by Hamas is expected within days

The Hamas-led Palestinian government is willing to recognise Israel if the latter withdraws fully from West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip, Al Jazeera. net has reliably learnt.

Sources close to Ismail Haniya, the Palestinian prime minister, described the Hamas decision as a "significant change in policy".

"What it means is that the Palestinian government is willing to recognise Israel if Israel met certain conditions, including a complete withdrawal from the territories Israel occupied in 1967," a source told Al Jazeera.net on Wednesday.

Speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media, the source added that he expected the "new posture" to be announced officially by Haniya in the coming few days.

The Hamas-led government is coming under intense international pressure to recognise Israel, abandon armed resistance and accept outstanding agreements between the Palestinian Authority and Israel.

If true, the new development will constitute a significant departure from Hamas' dogged refusal to accept Israel's right to exist.

Hamas' officials and spokespersons in the West Bank have refused to comment on the movement's willingness to recognise Israel in return for a viable Palestinian state on 100% of the occupied territories.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...87479080DB.htm

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    The Hamas-led Palestinian government is willing to recognise Israel if the latter withdraws fully from West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip, Al Jazeera. net has reliably learnt.
    Well, it took a Communist-hater like Tricky Dick to make peace with China. Hopefully the same dynamic is at work here.

Hamas is about the only group with enough cred to be able to get the rest of the radicalized populace to listen. If THEY can make peace with Israel, anyone can.

The devil is going to be in the details, but if this is correct this is the best news to come out of that country for a long, long time.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

Feb 2006
    Since when do the LOSERS of a war get to dictate terms to the WINNERS?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave'sNotHere
    Since when do the LOSERS of a war get to dictate terms to the WINNERS?
    that's the very question I ask myself every time you come in here trying to tell me how things are, Bigot Boy.

did you understand that?

if not let me break it down for you, in bigot speak.

you drag your knuckles when you walk. you are an evolutionary loser. you have no place telling the rest of us how things should be.

oh, and your post wasn't even funny, so there isn't anything to offset the idiocy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    could this be true? another crack in the militant armor?
    You must feel betrayed.

Samsonite Tester
    Economic sanctions must be working .

Hamas should get a plan together that Isreal would accept. Isreal will not give up the strategic high ground .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Members who have read this thread: 0