Cost effective Helmet Light Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cost effective Helmet Light Help

Hey guys, I need some help here. I am looking for a helmet light for a 24 hour race. I am on a 5 person team so I will only be doing about two laps (2.5 to 3 hours max) at night. I have a Cygo-light Nite Rover for my bars (12 watts total). I am looking for a few ideas on a helmet light. Last year I borrowed a 10W night rider from a friend, but that is not available this year. I only do a few night rides a year so I would like to keep it around $75 to $150. I was looking at the L&M Solo or the BLT Ozone 21ne. Any other ideas out there? Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Dinotte Ultra 5 should be good for you, but it's slightly above your budget at $169. Now with the new 200lumen/ tighter beam upgrade, I believe it should easily be brighter than any 10watt halogen out there. And it should be lighter, and bike mountable if you want.

I can't wait for my upgrade to return. I was using the original series where it doesn't even have the blinking mode unless I hold on to the button permanently.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've been running a 1W Luxeon equipped Princeton Tec Eos on my helmet. Runs on 2 AAA batteries and was quite inexpensive ($55 Cdn)

I find that when running it at full and my bar-mounted halogen at 12W the light outputs are pretty similar and between the light colors and different angles, I get great definition and depth perception.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

BBW
    mtbr member
    Buy a little Streamlight Scorpion LED flashlight, it's VERY powerful spotlight and last for 3:45h with 2 lithium batteries. Very light and good as a back up, you can attach it to the helmet with velcro zip ties
    Very light, a lot of light and you can found it for around 50 bucks. Oh, it's sealed so no problem with a storm

I have HID lithium ARC and Jetlite phantom btw but sometimes I use just the HID and the Scorpion

Members who have read this thread: 0