Cooling Skull Caps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cooling Skull Caps

No matter how cold it is, I still sweat like a mother. I hate taking my helmet off mid-ride for an adjustment, and then have to feel the slosh of a sweaty helmet. Does anybody recommend a good cooling skull cap / helmet liner?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

Rent this space for $
    I never ride without my SweatVac Ventilator Cap Custom Performance Wear | SweatVac Performance Wear I have 3 to rotate into use. They wash in minutes and dry in minutes. Keeps my motorcycle helmet liners much cleaner as well as my Bell Super 2R bike lids. No sweat running into my face or on my glasses.

mtbr member
    I've been riding with these Halo headbands for years:

Halo II Headband: Athletic Sweatbands for Men & Women

They have other configurations, that may help with your specific complaint. I'm more concerned with keeping the sweat out of my eyes on a ride and helping avid lens fogging on my eyewear. For this, the headband is 100% effective, I imagine the caps and bandana's work just as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Underarmor skullcaps for the bargain priced win.

Professional Crastinator
    Headsweats FTW!

Except I got mine for about $10 from Performance or someplace. Green, brown, camo...
    Keeps the bugs out, too.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Headsweats FTW!

Except I got mine for about $10 from Performance or someplace. Green, brown, camo...
    Keeps the bugs out, too.

-F
    +1 on Headsweats
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

since 4/10/2009
    a haircut?

mtbr member
    Being bald I sweat big time , it's been a challenge keeping the sweat off my glasses . I have a halo skull cap and halo sweat bands that help . I did my first ride today with gutr sweat band and didn't have any problems with sweat on my glasses . My thoughts are in the summer a halo skull cap and the gutr sweatband and that should work , I'm hoping

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How about just a headband?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    How about just a headband?
    I find there's a night and day difference between a normal sweatband and the Halo gasket version. They both start out the same, but once saturated the ungasketed version slowly drips sweat into my eyes. With the gasket there's still sweat, but it runs down my face and ears which is less distracting (to me anyway).

since 4/10/2009
    I don't like soggy pads or sweatbands at all. Where I live, it tends to be quite humid in the summertime. Evaporation is minimal, so even synthetic wicking fabrics stay wet for awhile once you sweat through them.

I find that the Sweat Gutr works great all by itself. It doesn't address soggy helmet pads, but nothing short of a nonabsorbent helmet pad of some sort (which I haven't seen anyone make) would address that.

For the OP in NC, I expect that his experience will be similar. I ride in NC a few times a year, and the humidity is similar, if not worse, than where I live. I have not had those same issues when riding in drier environments. Evaporation happens much more quickly.

And yes, I get my hair cut shorter in the summertime. I sweat less with shorter hair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    on rare occasions that I forget to bring the headsweat, it's a miserable day w/ sweat burning my eyes.

mtbr member
    SPF Ultralight? Skullcap

Pearl Izumi Inrcool Skull Cap > Apparel > Men's Apparel > Technical Headwear | Jenson USA

I have the Halo cap and it works great but the thick band can make a well fitting helmet too tight. I also use a BUFF and they are super versatile.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have the Halo cap and it works great but the thick band can make a well fitting helmet too tight. I also use a BUFF and they are super versatile.
    I wear a summer Buff, in the wintertime, to help block wind. I can't tolerate it in the summer. Makes me too warm. Regardless of what it does for sweat.

mtbr member
    Depends on whether you are bald or not. I have to keep the tan lines off my skull.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Can any of these caps make you feel cooler on a hot day? I sweat very little. But, if I can feel a little cooler, I'm all in!

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Can any of these caps make you feel cooler on a hot day? I sweat very little. But, if I can feel a little cooler, I'm all in!
    Try a SweatVac. Their stitching and panel layout is much different and superior, IMO, because you don't feel the panels and seams against your head under the helmet. This is way more important under a proper fitting motorcycle helmet but it does apply to a mtb helmet. They stitch a different type of ventilating and wicking panel on the top and this does allow for more rapid evaporation as long as your lid has sufficient venting. It works on my Bell Super 2R's.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Depends on whether you are bald or not. I have to keep the tan lines off my skull.
    Some guy working for one of those headband companies came up to me at Interbike to suggest his product in a roundabout way and I had to tell him the real reason I wore a skullcap...helmet vent tan lines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Try a SweatVac. Their stitching and panel layout is much different and superior, IMO, because you don't feel the panels and seams against your head under the helmet. This is way more important under a proper fitting motorcycle helmet but it does apply to a mtb helmet. They stitch a different type of ventilating and wicking panel on the top and this does allow for more rapid evaporation as long as your lid has sufficient venting. It works on my Bell Super 2R's.
    Thanks man! Just picked up a red Original from Amazon, $10.79 and free shipping!

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Thanks man! Just picked up a red Original from Amazon, $10.79 and free shipping!
    That's a killer deal! It's the "Ventilator Cap"...yes? That's the model you want with the ventilator panel on top. I'm on Amazon Prime an had never looked up the SweatVacs. Just did and am laughing at the listings near the end of the choices. FIFTY BUCKS some are asking plus shipping! WTF?! I've always bought mine direct from SweatVac. They have special offers pretty frequently but I've never paid more than $16, IIRC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    That's a killer deal! It's the "Ventilator Cap"...yes? That's the model you want with the ventilator panel on top. I'm on Amazon Prime an had never looked up the SweatVacs. Just did and am laughing at the listings near the end of the choices. FIFTY BUCKS some are asking plus shipping! WTF?! I've always bought mine direct from SweatVac. They have special offers pretty frequently but I've never paid more than $16, IIRC.
    I decided to go with the one called the Original. It's not the vented one. But, I usually don't go out when it's real hot, and this one was cheap. I probably don't even need one.

mtbr member