Coolest Trail/AM helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Coolest Trail/AM helmet

Figured I don't really need a full face helmet and I'm looking for the best venting non full face helmet.

At speed most helmets have decent enough airflow. But it's these grueling drawn out climbs where my Bell super and TLD a1 aren't cutting it. I need something that vents when crawling along at 5mph. Had a Fox Flux, Bell Stoker and Kali somethingoranother and some XC helmets but those don't cut it either. I'm looking for the best venting helmet for low speeds which is where I seem to sweat the most.

Price- preferably under $200.
    Accommodates sunglasses. TLD a1 sucks as it protrudes towards the temples.

I'm currently considering the Poc Tectal and Kask Rex as they have big vents that oriented upwards that could help with low speed cooling. Any other suggestions or just experiences with other helmets that such would be appreciated as well.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    I had a Super and thought it was really hot in the summer. I switched to a IXS Trail RS and it was VERY noticeable how much cooler it was. The IXS I can notice things like the breeze blowing through it sitting still. The Super you would just bake in it. I stopped wearing the Super for anything other than winter riding.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The TLD A2 is suppose to have better ventilation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ride On!
    Might want to check out the Smith Rover, had mine since the beginning of last summer. Vents well and is comfortable, vents much better than my Bell Super did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I live in Texas and the Specialized Prevail is pretty much the only helmet I wear when the temperature is above 95F, but it is officially a "road" helmet. I have the IXS Trail RS helmet and it is significantly cooler than the TLD A1 which is too bab because the TLD is so comfortable and, well, stylish IMHO.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I live in Texas and the Specialized Prevail is pretty much the only helmet I wear when the temperature is above 95F, but it is officially a "road" helmet. I have the IXS Trail RS helmet and it is significantly cooler than the TLD A1 which is too bab because the TLD is so comfortable and, well, stylish IMHO.
    I also ride with a Prevail on my MTB when it's hot outside and I don't require a visor. Super light and airy. The venting on enduro style helmets doesn't come close.

If you ride with a Camelbak, many of them have a couple of attachment hooks to hold your helmet on the back of the pack while you're grinding out long steady climbs.

mtbr member
    Definite second for the iXS Trail RS, loads of vents and as DR said, you can feel the breeze blowing through sitting still. My only problem with the iXS is that their sizing doesn't really work for me, I am wearing the M/L because my head is exactly 58cm and that's where their S/M stops and M/L starts, went so far as to order a MS/M after owning the for about a year and it was just a smidge too tight in one spot near the rear, so their sizing is spot on, don't think not.

The other thing I love about this helmet is the retention system, once you tighten it, you have to undo/loosen it yourself, does not slacken off in the least. Love this feature, allows me to ride with it snug and relatively tight on flat, climbing and mellower descents and then really crank it down on those steeper, more technical trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.