Cool weather headgear- Mtbr.com
    Class Clown

Cool weather headgear

I am looking for something to wear, be it a beanie, cap, do-rag or bandana type for cool weather, talking high 30's low 40's. If it gets over 45F I wear nothing or I sweat too much. So what I need will be lightweight, unlined, breathable - just enough to get a little protection when it's too cold for nothing.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    These actually work quite well:

Mens Original Buff Tubular | Buff® USA Official Site

Fold it over itself once, and then pull that over your head and arrange it however you want. Material is thin, but with it doubled over itself, it works well enough for the temps you describe and it's able to be worn several different ways when called for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anything with gore windstopper in it.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Light freak
    I prefer something like this, polar fleece/wind blocking material on the ears and lighter/breathable material on top of the head

Skull Cap

mtbr member
    high-30s to low-40s, at most a simple ear cover. anything more and it gets too hot. The exception is if you're going really fast and the wind really gets you, then just a light layer is fine. I have a cheap $4 balaclava off amazon that I wear. For me, works fine down to low 20's up to mid 30's. Anything higher than that, I don't wear any headgear but a helmet.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Class Clown
    My goto has actually been a tanktop i cut up and used a rubber band to make a hat sorta thing, I'll check these options out

Rollin' a fatty
    I use the Bontrager skull cap cap most of the time but when is really cold a beanie usually works better but for your temps a headband to cover your ears should be enough.

Bontrager Fall/winter Apparel

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I have been using a Merino beanie and it truly works amazing well. I dont overheat and good warmth into low 40's with a helmet.

These guys make some great winter gear: ULTRA Merino 145 Beanie | KUIU Ultralight Hunting

Cool weather headgear-ultra-merino-145-beanie-vias.jpg

mtbr member
    Buff all the way for those temps and higher. I have over 15, because I wear them hiking, biking, kayaking, for yard work, and nightly at work under a hardhat.
    Check out SierraTradingPost.com, and sign up for the Dealflyer coupon thing. I've bought most of my Buffs from there at less than half what they sell for in the store(they're very overpriced for a polyester tube).

If you live somewhere dry, thin merino might work for you. I've got a 150wt Smartwool beanie that's great for sticking in a pocket when my shaved head needs just a little something, and their reversible double-layer "training beanie", which I actually sleep in, turned around backwards to cover my eyes. Those were both dirt cheap at the site I mentioned above. That's where I bought most of my merino socks and Icebreaker baselayers at great prices, too.