Converting regular shoes to SPD's...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Converting regular shoes to SPD's...

Retarded question, I know...it is out of necessity, as I wear 18's and am currently suffering with slightly stretched out Sidi DOminator 52's. Anyone have any experience putting in plates with a regular shoe to stiffen it up and adding a SPD adaptor?

pedal pusher
    I had this idea back in the late-90s, but I never went anywhere with it. Interested to see what people have to say about it.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    sounds basically impossible for the non-cobbler. if you try something, please take lots of photos and post progress. otherwise, see if you can find a cobbler/shoemaker or something that could modify an existing shoe.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

I live to bike
    I would try calling various shoe manufacturers to see if they would make you a custom shoe to fit you.

As for modifying a sneaker, it should work, but the real question is how well the shoe will hold up after the modification. It may end up lasting only a couple rides and so get expensive if you have to keep doing it over and over again to new sneakers.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I tried this back in 1993. All I accomplished was ruining a pair of shoes. The twisting force of clipping out made the holes stretch and later fail. I was using a toe clip specific cycling shoe (they use to exist).

In short, I don't recommend this, but good luck if you do! Size 18 must make shoe purchases very difficult.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I tried this back in 1993. All I accomplished was ruining a pair of shoes. The twisting force of clipping out made the holes stretch and later fail. I was using a toe clip specific cycling shoe (they use to exist).

In short, I don't recommend this, but good luck if you do! Size 18 must make shoe purchases very difficult.

poser Administrator
    I did this with a pair of nike lava dome hiking shoes back when spd's first came out but specific shoes were not yet available. Used an aluminum plate that I either shoe goo or epoxied into the shoe base. I used the standard piece that comes with the cleats and the long bolts. I clipped the lugs off the shoes and used a second aluminum plate under the cleat. I then clearanced the insole to fit over the protruding inner piece and rode them for at least a year until I could get real SPD shoes when they finally were available.

Not the best solution but I would think that an enterprising person with a dremel and epoxy could do a better solution. Also you might try Lake or Rocket as I think they can make custom lasts for shoes.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0