Compression Pants- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Compression Pants

CRAP....when I first got into this and loving it BTW...I refused to wear spandex/lycra/compression. However you want to word it I refused.

WELL....last night I experienced why people wear that. I was wearing my Adidas because it was kind of cool so shorts were out, and my pants kept getting caught on the seat and as a result showing my butt crack to the world.

So, I am admitting defeat and searching/shopping for "compression" pants. I love Under Armor but $60 a pop seems a bit excessive (I should talk since I have a ton of their hoodies). I am considering Koehls that sell some half that price and some at the same price.

Any preference in brands? Do you do the the 3/4 ones or the ones that go to ankles?

Rollin' a fatty
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
    Do you do the the 3/4 ones or the ones that go to ankles?
    Use those on winter rides under windproof pants, mine are made by Voler and are called knickers.

If you want to use lycra make sure you get the ones made for cycling with the chamois pad.

mtbr member
    Why the padding? Genuinely asking for my butt is already used to the seat (I can see that being taken out of context), and when the weather is warm I am wearing loose shorts (some are Under Armor). What do I need padding for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    D
    Why the padding? Genuinely asking for my butt is already used to the seat (I can see that being taken out of context), and when the weather is warm I am wearing loose shorts (some are Under Armor). What do I need padding for?
    If you're asking, then you don't need it. Sounds like you don't ride long enough/often enough that its an issue. Or you're an iron a55 that don't need it.

Formerly of Kent
    Ride longer, harder, and more often.

You'll understand then.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Ride longer, harder, and more often.

You'll understand then.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Probably right. When I do dirt trails I stand more than I sit. Comes with my one season of riding a dual-sport motorcycle and this one area we went to ride. You had to go over rocks for 3-miles next to train tracks (before the train got there), to get to the area. I rode it on my butt the first few times than the guys told me I would continue to get sick going up and down up and down like on a boat in rough waters so instead stand-up and let your legs be the shocks. They were so right and found the method works quite well with obstacles on the dirt paths even though I have full suspension which I also had on the motorcycle.

Also, I am not a street rider (but considering it lately), so while some of the paved paths I take are quite long and I do spend it 99% on my rear, but even then no pains yet.

I also have a gut feeling it does have something to do with prior to experiencing soreness when I use my Airdyne bike but in time I developed muscles where the pain is no longer present.

In the end if I get to that point I see a need for padding I will go in that direction.

Thanks for all the input.

mtbr member
    A good chamois is nice but zero friction is the #1 benefit of cycling shorts IMO, which is why they need to be tight. Saddle sores suck.

mtbr member
    Looked up the word "chamois" and sent this interesting article that I am sure will be helping her for she is having serious butt issues from riding. I can see the jokes already coming in.

mtbr member
    Its not necessarily padding, its a chamois. Its to help keep you dry. Cycling specific shorts have better sewn seams that wont chafe and cut your legs and junk. Its a pretty big deal if you're riding for a few hours.

They make baggy mountain bike shorts with tight fitting liners. You dont have to wear roadie looking clothes, but you really do need quality shorts if you're going to be riding for a long period of time.