Compression clothing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Compression clothing

Does anyone wear compression clothing for riding (torso or leggings)? What do you think of wearing them? Does if feel comfortable or restrictive?

I've been looking into Skins and Adidas's Techfit. Can anyone comment on these?

I'm particularly looking for a tight undergarment that is comfortable and good at regulating body temperature (keep cool in the heat, keep warm in the cold), but these attributes tend to commonly exist in compression clothes.

Thanks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Does anyone wear compression clothing for riding (torso or leggings)? What do you think of wearing them? Does if feel comfortable or restrictive?

I've been looking into Skins and Adidas's Techfit. Can anyone comment on these?

I'm particularly looking for a tight undergarment that is comfortable and good at regulating body temperature (keep cool in the heat, keep warm in the cold), but these attributes tend to commonly exist in compression clothes.

Thanks.
    Isn't that basically what lycra shorts do? That is one of the benefits of them, IMO. Same goes for baggies with a real bike short liner in them.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I wear one of these for cold weather riding. It goes on as the first layer. It does feel kind of tight and restrictive when you first put it on, but that feeling goes away pretty quick. It doesn't actually restrict your movemant at all.

I'll break that thing out once the temp starts to get below 35-38 degrees.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen

Thanks.
    I've tried the UnderArmor stuff. I don't like it at all. It's not particularly comfortable, and in hot weather it keeps me warmer than just a single wicking shirt, or no shirt at all. I've written it off as a load of marketing crap.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    I've tried the UnderArmor stuff. I don't like it at all. It's not particularly comfortable, and in hot weather it keeps me warmer than just a single wicking shirt, or no shirt at all. I've written it off as a load of marketing crap.
    I thought it was intended for colder weather.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    IIRC, the thin UA stuff is marketed otherwise.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Yeah, the one I linked to is specificly intended for cold weather. If you tried that one in the summer, I imagine it would be quite hot.

I have a couple of UA s/s shirts, I believe the ones they market as being for Lacrosse. Those out perform even a couple of my high dollar bike specific jerseys as far as moisture management and heat control. They are my favorite shirts for summer use by far.

I guess different strokes for different folks.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    I wear under armor top and bottom for the first layer in cold. I also own a Reebok long sleeve cold weather equivalent to the UA shirt. I did fine with it last year in winter. Not restrictive at all. I have a couple UA shirts for summer, but they aren't compression, they are looser. Better than cotton, that's for sure. I do get to a point where the "heat gear" gets saturated with sweat though and i'm not sure how much moisture evaporation and wicking they are managing at that point.

since 4/10/2009
    Compression clothing in the summer? No way. Can't see how compression clothing would be cooler than loose synthetic layers that wick AND ventilate.

Compression as a baselayer in the cold...yeah, I'd buy that, but as I overheat easily anyway I don't need it. I still need something that can ventilate when it's cold out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    Compression clothing in the summer? No way. Can't see how compression clothing would be cooler than loose synthetic layers that wick AND ventilate.

Compression as a baselayer in the cold...yeah, I'd buy that, but as I overheat easily anyway I don't need it. I still need something that can ventilate when it's cold out.
    True. Just that i'd like to get an undergarment to were under my body armor because the mesh of the armor against my skin is a bit uncomfortable. So ideally i'd like something that i can where underneath to increase the comfort (some sort of tight layer) but also provide the best heat management.

Members who have read this thread: 0