Comfort vs. protection - helmets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Comfort vs. protection - helmets?

I do a lot of trail riding that is mainly made up of fast tight singletrack, few jumps and what not. This summer myself and a few riding buds went to Northstar and stepped it up a notch. By the time Northstar closed I decided I should invest in a FF helmet. A few weeks before its closure my bud purchased a Giro Mad Max FF helmet. He wore it on & off on different days. I asked him why he didn't wear it every ride, thought he may have just forgotton it those days, he said it wasn't as comfortable as his XC helmet and he felt more likely to crash if the helmet was taking from his concentration, focus whatever you want to call it. Mind you we are novices to resort riding and I purchased a Giro Switchblade - figured I could be comfortable w/ protection. I read in a few posts the Switchblade isn't the best protector, is it good enough for someone that isn't going big? Does a FF cause a lack of concentration because of heat or ? Thanx

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I do a lot of trail riding that is mainly made up of fast tight singletrack, few jumps and what not. This summer myself and a few riding buds went to Northstar and stepped it up a notch. By the time Northstar closed I decided I should invest in a FF helmet. A few weeks before its closure my bud purchased a Giro Mad Max FF helmet. He wore it on & off on different days. I asked him why he didn't wear it every ride, thought he may have just forgotton it those days, he said it wasn't as comfortable as his XC helmet and he felt more likely to crash if the helmet was taking from his concentration, focus whatever you want to call it. Mind you we are novices to resort riding and I purchased a Giro Switchblade - figured I could be comfortable w/ protection. I read in a few posts the Switchblade isn't the best protector, is it good enough for someone that isn't going big? Does a FF cause a lack of concentration because of heat or ? Thanx
    I would speculate that your buds lack of concentration is due more to the fact that he isn't accustomed to wearing a fullface yet and the more he wears it the more comfortable he be with it. I had simliar issues, coming from an Xc background, when I first started wearing FF's. For extended climbing on hot days though it can be a pain in the arse, so for those days I usually climb without it on and carry it either on the bars or strapped to my pack.

As for the Switchblade, my only concern would be the faceplate breaking in a crash and possibly causing more damage than if I had a regular FF. I personally would suggest you invest in a regular FF and ditch the SB, or remove the faceplate and use it for strictly XC rides. In the long run you'll be better protected and in time get used to wearing the FF. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try a bunch of different FF helments on before you buy. They all fit differently, and will therefore affect your comfort level. Also look for lots of venting, which will help keep your head cooler on hot days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    As Shibby said, try on lots of different FF helmets as they fit different. Giro fits my melon well. Bells pinch me in the front and back. Same as 661........

Also dont count on lots of protection from the SB. I have had one for a few years, but never attach the "chin guard" anymore.

TJ

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    ... Giro fits my melon well. Bells pinch me in the front and back...

TJ
    Strange. Just the opposite for me. Bells fit great. Giros are too round and pinch front to back with lots of space on the sides.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I have an O'Neil FF Moto helmet...TBH it improves my focus, because i tend to look straight forward in it, and it makes me go bigger because I know if I go down it probably wont hurt too much. I reccomend Moto helmets to anyone, especially when they are DOT/SNELL approved and you can get them on sale for 100USD Vs. a 400USD Troy Lee helmet that just looks cool.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestix
    I have an O'Neil FF Moto helmet...TBH it improves my focus, because i tend to look straight forward in it, and it makes me go bigger because I know if I go down it probably wont hurt too much. I reccomend Moto helmets to anyone, especially when they are DOT/SNELL approved and you can get them on sale for 100USD Vs. a 400USD Troy Lee helmet that just looks cool.
    Same here, I use a DOT/SNELL approved moto helmet. Cost me 78.00 online for an O'Neal 692 two years ago.

But I don't bother suggesting them anymore. It's a waste of time trying to convince a bunch of chucklehead fashion victims that it's not worth spending $$$$ on a TLD when you can spend $$ for better protection.

Jun 2004
    FF helmets are HOT... that's the only reason I dont wear mine on mellow xc rides, and trips around town.

Glad to Be Alive
    don't be dumb about heat effecting you...unless it is really hot and you get heat stroke.....with that said anytime you are going at a high speed or doing drops a full face helmet should be used

check out the 661 full bravos (carbons are very light, comfortable, and well ventilated)

Giros suck
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

kona-tize me captain
    dude go with the 661 full bravo carbon i got one just a month ago soooo nice man i love it