Coldish weather clothing:- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

Coldish weather clothing:

Trying to do some research as to the best thing to wear when it is cold out.

I don't like the cold/I get cold easily, but I don't want that to stop me from riding. For me, this is those 40, 50 degree mornings with some icy breeze, not -15 and snowing. If anything, trying to keep the wind of my skin.

My riding is on a mountain bike, and is generally 2/3 street, 1/3 dirt during the same ride. Figure ~15 miles.

What suggestions do you have in terms of long pants and upper-wear? I see there is a lot of stuff, and a lot of ways to spend a lot of money.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

SS XC Junkie
    In the 60's I wear Under Armour Cold Gear Leggings (base 2.) That works pretty well for me and above all it stays out of the chain. Living in Houston, I'm not acclimatized to our occasional 40's and 50's during the winter. These base layer work great under a pair of baggy shorts or under my golf pants on the course.

With an UA base layer cold weather long sleeve shirt under a T

If it's really cold I'll wear a Columbia fleece or a Under Armour windshirt (golf) up top when it's cool enough.
    Last edited by dontheclysdale; 03-30-2009 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Under Armor cold gear. It can be expensive but well worth it. I used it in low 30's and have been fine.

The White Jeff W
    Anything above 50 & I'm in shorts. Maybe a sweatshirt if it's windy. Below that I'll throw a pair of warm up pants over the bike shorts & tape the ankles to keep them out of the chainrings & keep the cold out.

For colder weather I line that with UA Coldgear leggings & shirt. I also have a pair of UA Coldgear football gloves that I wear.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 03-31-2009 at 05:18 AM.
    No moss...

Mar 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Seems like a better value than some of the cycling stuff (though I am sure it is very good stuff.

On a semi-related note, it seems UA just exploded in popularity in just a few years. Props to the founder, he is a very rich man now!

pronounced may-duh
    Wool is the best. Wool is awesome at wicking moisture and regulating body temp. It also can keep you warm even when it's soaked wet from rain or sweat. Wool is magic.

Wool jersey
    tights, nickers or shorts (your choice)
    wool socks (always, even in the heat of summer)
    full finger bike gloves
    bike shoes
    helmet

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Coldish really depends on what you're used to. If it's above 40, I get too hot in long pants after a few miles. I still like long sleeves until it is about 60.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    I now only wear icebreaker tops (www.icebreaker.com) which is 100% fine NZ merino wool. You can get various weights of wool (heavier = warmer). They wear well, don't stink after prolonged use, wash well and keep me warm. You can layer up if it gets colder. If you can get them at a good price, go for it!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I usually sport some duofold gear, similar to underarmour, but much much less pricey. you can get a long sleeve shipped for $15 off amazon, with pants being a fairly similar price. They work great at keeping my scrawny arms warm in the 40-50 degree weather.

mtbr member
    i usually just put on my pads if its cold out, even if im just doing a smooth xc ride

mtbr member
    for 40-50 degree weather a pair of cycling tights and a longsleeve jersey should be fine. maybe throw on a light jacket if you're still cold.

mtbr member
    More props for the Under Armor gear - I wear one of the cold weather shirts and it's awesome. It's cut long so it stays tucked in at the back, it wicks well so after a long climb you're not totally soaked and you won't freeze on the downhill, and it's a light compression top as well so it moves well and is comfortable. It's not cheap (I think I paid around $40 - $50) but it's well worth it. On cold mornings (@35-40 F) I wear that with a light fleece and a windbreaker - that way as it warms up I can remove either one for comfort and stuff it in my Camelback.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Members who have read this thread: 0