Cold Weather Shoes (Platforms)....What do you wear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cold Weather Shoes (Platforms)....What do you wear?

Looking to pick up some cold weather gear for some winter riding, most of what I find is for people who ride clipless but I use platforms only.

I wear 510 free rider shoes during the warmer months but I don't think they will cut it for colder/wet conditions. So I was thinking of some kind of hiking shoe, like mid ankle high that has a gripper type sole, so I am not sliding off the pedals.

Just curious what everyone wears for platforms or has any recommendations (not looking to break the bank)

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat and I've narrowed the choice down to the following two products:

Patagonia Drifter A/C Gore-Tex
    Merrell Moab GORE-TEX® XCR

I'm leaning towards the Patagonia because I'm super impressed with the quality of their products.

These shoes would obviously be also used for snow-free hiking during the cold months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the Merrell's, like these, but last year's model, and love them. They are great for a day hike, stiff enough to ride with no foot pain, have great traction, and aren't overly hot. Yet, the Gore-Tex keeps your feet dry, and they keep your feet warm. Gore-Tex has come a long way over the years with breathe-ability. I picked mine up on sale for around $80, and use them exclusively for riding now, until I decide to go clipless.

Merrell Moab Gore-Tex XCR Cross-Training Shoes - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Why not shoe covers on your fave shoe?

Sugoi Resistor Bike Booties - Free Shipping at REI.com

They worked great for a four-hour downpour in 5.10 Impact lows. The bottom of the sole is open aside from a strap across the arch (you can see slightly in the photo). They also act as gaiters. If I need additional warmth I'll toss in some chemical toe warmers.

Grabber Toe Warmers - 3 Pairs at REI.com

Almost all GTX hiking-type shoes will have a contoured sole and/or aggressive lugs--not ideal for flat pedals. "Approach" type shoes usually have flat soles, but typically aren't water resistant.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Going thru this right now. I ride in either sam hills or teva links depending on the kind of riding. If I went with a whole new shoe, I would say the north face snow sneakers are the best choice. Skate shoe like sole, really soft sticky rubber, primaloft insulated and waterproof. Honestly though, I'm going to pick up a pair of gore-tex socks, either the Gore brand ones, or the Rocky version of them. cheaper than shoes, and they work really well. I think I am going to pair them with the links, since they don't absorb water, and all should be good.

H

mtbr member
    To be honest man, I've tried lots of shoes and the best ones for me so far is just a pair of DC midtops because they are thick and with warm socks they're even warmer. The soles are grippy and spray some scoth guard on them.

smalljeans
    x2 on the DC's. I use a pair of DC H2O shoes, the were made for snow-skating. Sticky soles, gore-tex, and have a nice neoprene gaiter to keep out mud and snow.
    ...don't worry it's coming...