Cold Weather Pants / Tights?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Cold Weather Pants / Tights?

I live in Western North Carolina and ride year round. In the winter I typically throw on a pair of Patagonia Cap 2 or 3 long johns under my baggies and call it good. This usually works until the temps get below freezing, eventually crippling cramps start to develop in my quads and put a serious dampener on my day.

I think that the key is finding something windproof to keep the cold air away from quads. But I'm really struggling to find the right piece of kit.

The Kitsbow A/M Knicker looks really intriguing being a 3/4 length softshell short, but it's $200+, which is a lot to spend on something I might use only on the coldest days of 3 months of the year.

Roadie tights, like the Pearl Izumi Thermal Pursuits layered under regular baggies are also leading contenders, any reason I'm seeing that these wouldn't be alright for trail?

Thanks,

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    ...Roadie tights, like the Pearl Izumi Thermal Pursuits layered under regular baggies are also leading contenders, any reason I'm seeing that these wouldn't be alright for trail?

Thanks,
    Can't see why not.

I would also check out Craft. They have several options that might fit your bill.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I discovered el cheapo 4ucycling stuff actually rocks

been using one orotovox wool tights, under 4ucycling windproof pants (30 bucks)
    https://www.4ucycling.com/collections/pants-tights

and rocking 3 hours rides at 9deg F with zero complaints of cold legs
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Check out Swrve...pants are wind proof, water resistant and have fleece linings. Almost too warm above 40 degrees...

mtbr member
    These look pretty good. They are supposed to be wind resistant and water resistant. Bonus is they are not tights and look like DH pants. I haven't bought or tried them but I have some other stuff from Baleaf and they are well made for the price. There are two choices but I think the updated one is the better version. I am planning on getting some if the weather gets colder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756QCG2Z...CK0AK20H&psc=1

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wear my summer riding shorts, a t-shirt, ski jacket, ski pants, and cover my face. I ride in temperatures in the single digits at times. The only thing I worry about is wrecking and no one ever coming by to help but that is a completely different problem to have. A good pair of ski pants will last you for years. You pull them out anytime you have a snow day, go ski, or bike in the cold. You don't use them too often but they make such a big difference that they are worth having.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just received a pair of the baleaf windproof pants. No rides yet but seems like decent material and quality for the price ( on first inspection at least). Hope they do well into the teens or so. Been using Swix cycling pants for a few years. They’re good by themselves down to upper 20’s F. Below that and I’ll put a pair of cheap performance base layer leggings underneath. Works well but not much wind proofing qualities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Since I live in Alabama, and it usually doesn't get that cold(close to single digits and subzero wind chill this evening notwithstanding), I haven't bought any fancy bike-specific stuff. I wear bike shorts instead of baggies with a pair of windpants or hiking pants over them. My Marmot Scree softshell pants are a lot more versatile than a pair of cycling tights. If I rode in the temps some of these guys are describing, I'd probably have to put my Powerstretch tights on over the bike shorts, too, though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Sweet, thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to check out a couple of those suggestions and see how I get on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anything under 40-45° I wear tights under my padded baggy MTB shorts. For $20 at Target you can find Champion brand base layer tights that work really well. They have different levels of warmth/thickness. I chose the thicker ones because if I'm throwing tights on I want them to be warm. Have biked down to 25° in the snow and stayed warm.

mtbr member
    I live in north Florida, and wear long light to medium warmth base layer under regular riding shorts, then add a pair of sweats over everything. I layer my upper body, and have a light weight water proof ski wind breaker. But more times than not, the weather here allows for the sweats and jacket to come off after an hour or so of riding.

Have you looked at Troy Lee Sprint Pants? With a base layer under them, they might fit the need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How about some thermal compression tights with some windbreaker pants over the top? Like maybe something made for jogging to avoid the mountain bike price mark up?