Cold weather jacket for dry conditions?? Recommendations please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cold weather jacket for dry conditions?? Recommendations please.

I just received my cold weather jackets. I ordered two seperate jackets to see which one fit better. They fit fine but I'm a little disappointed in the "breathability". They are more like plastic rain coats and I sweat a lot especially under my backpack. I guess I'm looking for something to keep warm in a dry climate. I'm not worried about rain, just cold wind. Maybe a soft shell for cycling?

These are the ones I ordered and are advertised as "breathable". I have not actually tried them yet but the vents are minimal if any and don't seem breathable at all.

Mavic Crossmax H2O Jacket - Bike Jackets | Backcountry.com

Espoir Jacket | Mavic - United States

mtbr member
    I used to use a thin uncoated nylon shell, which was great. Not I wear a non cycling Softshell that I also love. The thin nylon was much more packable and did the same job. The softshell is better if there is a bit of rain, more than that and it soaks through.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member

Cold weather jacket for dry conditions?? Recommendations please.

Buy jackets and jerseys made with gore windstop on the front. I am a sweater. Everything else that I tried is like wearing a plastic bag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Softshell and a windstopper front is money. Make sure you have zippers / can vent heat though and that the rear isn't sealed or else it's another boil bag.

I personally use a more breathable insulating layer over a base layer and a wind blocking front/mesh back nylon vest for really windy, cold days here in Norcal, but I prefer flexible pieces that I can multi-use.

I use a Endura MT500 jersey as the insulating layer for early Spring, late Fall and Winter and use everything from a thin polypro base in spring/fall to a Craft winter one for the coldest days underneath it. For everything, but the coldest days, I get away without a wind blocking vest and just use the MT500.

Endura - Products

Endura - Products

-Shane
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

meow meow
    i have been really impressed with the new bontrager stuff for the money. check out the rxl 180 and 360 soft-shell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have been using my Showers Pass Refuge jacket here in CNY since late fall... everything from dry-sunny 45 degrees to snowy-rainy 15 degrees, and it's awesome in everything. I highly recommend it. A bit pricey, but very, very good quality, and they run some great sales frequently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    my favorite for mtn biking

Gore Bike Wear Countdown SO Hoodie | Backcountry.com

Good at a lot for ranges with a merino wool baselayer

I have another gore bike wear jacket that has more insulation, pit zips, long arm zippers but I tend to use that minimally compared to the above (on the rare road day)
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
    I just received my cold weather jackets. I ordered two seperate jackets to see which one fit better. They fit fine but I'm a little disappointed in the "breathability". They are more like plastic rain coats and I sweat a lot especially under my backpack. I guess I'm looking for something to keep warm in a dry climate. I'm not worried about rain, just cold wind. Maybe a soft shell for cycling?

These are the ones I ordered and are advertised as "breathable". I have not actually tried them yet but the vents are minimal if any and don't seem breathable at all.

Mavic Crossmax H2O Jacket - Bike Jackets | Backcountry.com

Espoir Jacket | Mavic - United States
    The Espoir Thermo or Sprint Thermo should be closer to what you want.
    As was said, for breathability in dry cold conditions, windproof softshell front with thermal/fleece back is much better than wet weather gear.

mtbr member
    Throw this in you pack. No fancy schmancy crap that yo don't need in the dry. Stay away from any insulation as it makes the jacket too warm. Layer up underneath instead. Biked once at -30C with a thin windbreaking layer on top. No problem.

EMS Stasher Jacket - Eastern Mountain Sports
    Last edited by Legbacon; 12-20-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've got one of these. Perfect for cold MTB rides with no rain.
    Sprint Thermo Jacket | Mavic - United States

i should be working
    Try out some roadie gear. I have a few jackets and wind breakers that can suit any weather and temp. Hardest part to keep warm is the toes. That's true for mtb and road in my experience

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I took the Mavic Espoir out for a spin today. 11 miles at 52f and a slight breeze if any. The jacket felt good while riding.
    When I took off the jacket after the ride is when I realized that I was soaking wet.

I like turtles
    My wind breaker type jacket is a Specialized Deflect Hybrid, highly vented on the back and I do fine in the 40s/50s with it. Love that I can zip-off the arms. Hate that it doesn't have standard pockets in the back..PITA to get to your stuff while riding.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

I quit e-MTBR
    When the temp drops, we all start talking ourselves into buying a fancy winter jacket. I do it too, but I think it's irrational.

Here's my take on cold-weather MTB gear:

1. Layers work better than trying to find the one do-it-all piece. Especially if you ride with a pack that you can stash a layer in. Cheaper, too.

2. Actively avoid waterproof. Waterproof is for roadies. Maximum breathability (plus a wicking base layer) is way more important, so waterproof hurts more than it helps. (Even wind-resistant is not really necessary for MTB unless you have a ride to the trailhead or don't ride in woods.) Cheaper, too.

3. Use protection as insulation. Knee warmers are for roadies. Knee pads insulate and cover, they stay up better, and oh-by-the-way they protect you when you crash. Elbow pads, armored liner shorts, even torso padding, same idea.

So instead of some ghastly $200 roadie jacket, get a quality baselayer (merino or powerstretch fleece) plus a good-enough, non-bulky, non-waterproof jacket or longsleeve jersey. If it's cold, wear an insulating full-zip layer in between, like a cheapo fleece vest or fleece jacket, and unzip or stash it when you start to sweat.

The marketers try to talk you into believing you need a gazillion-dollar jacket because it's such a pain to stop to take off a layer. Stopping may be a pain for roadies, but most of us stop all the freaking time. Stopping isn't what sucks--sweatsoaking your jacket sucks.

I like turtles
    ^^^Agree with some of your points, but knee warmers for roadies? Really? Agree on the waterproof...unnecessary (for me at least) - I don't ride in the rain, road or mountain. Just reduces breathability. My favorite pieces are arm/knee warmers, and my convertible vest/jacket. Sure, it wasn't cheap, but it sure is nice in its roadie sort of way! Also, since I don't wear a pack, having pockets in my jacket (roadie style) is key and something you don't find on a Walmart fleece vest. To each their own. I also don't mind stopping to remove layers, not a big deal to me. Baselayers are often overlooked and can convert a standard jersey into something much warmer.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^Agree with some of your points, but knee warmers for roadies? Really?
    I don't get why a mountain-biker would buy knee warmers instead of knee pads. Am I overlooking something?

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I don't get why a mountain-biker would buy knee warmers instead of knee pads. Am I overlooking something?
    Why would I wear knee pads riding XC on a HT in central VA? Sure, I could wear body armor too but its overkill for my type of riding.

Jon
    Feb 2014
    A good old Carhart jacket always works for me. I like the Pull over 1/4 zip sweatshirts too. If I do sweat they breath enough to keep me dry and if they get warm I unzip a little for some ventilation.

I like turtles
    ^^^sweet mother of God ..

I quit e-MTBR
    Why would I wear knee pads riding XC on a HT in central VA?
    Why? Because you're mountain biking, and if you're doing it right you might crash. Especially in the winter. Even riding XC in central Virginia.

And, given that (a) cost and comfort are about the same, (b) you can also use knee pads when you're riding something more exciting than central-Virginia XC, and (c) knee pads work better because they don't have the falling-down problem so many knee warmers have, I still don't see why you wouldn't.

Not trying to win an internet pissing contest with you, TiGeo, just explaining my take on it. Apologies to OP for the detour.

mtbr member
    I love knee warmers but my favourite pair were pretty torn up by the time they got retired. Good thing they can be had pretty cheap.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

I like turtles
    Why? Because you're mountain biking, and if you're doing it right you might crash. Especially in the winter. Even riding XC in central Virginia.

And, given that (a) cost and comfort are about the same, (b) you can also use knee pads when you're riding something more exciting than central-Virginia XC, and (c) knee pads work better because they don't have the falling-down problem so many knee warmers have, I still don't see why you wouldn't.

Not trying to win an internet pissing contest with you, TiGeo, just explaining my take on it. Apologies to OP for the detour.

No pissing match, just will explain why I don't want to wear knee pads. My knee warmers don't fall down. I can use them on the road bike. Easy to take off and store if I don't need them b/c it warms up. I don't feel the need to wear any sort of armor including elbow pads, chest protection, or a larger full-face helmet. Sure, if I were riding a different set up/in the mountains I probably would, but again..no need where I am. And finally, pedaling in knee pads is not going to be the same as knee warmers. I get why you wear them. I get why others wear them. I don't want to wear them.

I quit e-MTBR
    Knee warmers are for roadies.
    I can use them on the road bike.
    Sweet vindication. (I'm joking.)

mtbr member
    I use my knee pads on every single ride. Short, long, hot, cold, Xc, AM, ... I feel incomplete without them.
    I am glad I found the one I really like. Even my knees feel better from the extra support.

I also believe layering is the way to go. I own different thickness merino base layers and use them based on the temperature. On the top I use a light jacket against the wind. If I start overheating, I would just remove a layer. Before a longer DH I put it back on.
    You should start a ride feeling cold and underdressed.
    I can't comment on riding in freezing temperatures though.

Now, I am looking for a nice light waterproof jacket for those rainy rides.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I use my knee pads on every single ride. Short, long, hot, cold, Xc, AM, ... I feel incomplete without them.
    I am glad I found the one I really like.
    Same here. The new "enduro" kneepad designs are the key IMO.