Cold Weather Gloves- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Cold Weather Gloves

Hi,
    I am from Pa. and up until about 3 weeks ago we were having a very mild winter, and of course us cyclists were loving it.
    My fingers are really the only thing that bothers me when I ride in the cold. I've tried several different gloves but my digits still go numb. Any one out there know of any good cold weather gloves that actually work well. Thanks. Johnny

rack admirer

Layers

Boston area rider. I have been dissatisfied with gloves for years. I recently bought some outdoor research gore-tex shell gloves from STP. Now I can start with my year round full fingers, pull on over some ragwool or fleece gloves, then the over shells. Good last Saturday at about 4 degrees F. Over the course of your ride, you can peel off a layer after you warm up.
    MCM # 57

shins meet handlebar.
    Pear Izumi AmFibs have been good to me. My hands get cold quite easily, too.
    Fear is the mind-killer.

Ride Instigator
    I'v had luck with cheap azz gloves from Menards for 10 bucks or so. The pair I'm using now is good down to about 15 deg F. I bought them a little big so when it's colder then that I have another pair of cheap azz, thin, form-fitting gloves from Kohls that I wear under them and I'm good down to 0 deg F....any colder then that and I stay in the house .

mtbr member

Thanks

Cool, thanks.....all very good advice, appreciate it.

mtbr member

Specialized Submerge or Subzero

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyp060
    Hi,
    I am from Pa. and up until about 3 weeks ago we were having a very mild winter, and of course us cyclists were loving it.
    My fingers are really the only thing that bothers me when I ride in the cold. I've tried several different gloves but my digits still go numb. Any one out there know of any good cold weather gloves that actually work well. Thanks. Johnny
    I like two Specialized gloves. Its usually 35 degrees and raining this time of year so I use a pair of Specialized Submerge. I've worn them for hours in the rain and stay dry and warm. Best gloves I've used. I also have a pair of Specialized Subzeros. Really good for weather below freezing as the name suggests. I have used the Submerges in 10-20 degree range for a couple hours and they worked fine and are much less bulky than the Subzeros. Any colder, I use the Subzeros.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Snowboard gloves. Lots of cold and wet protection, but the fingers are pliable enough to use the gear and brake levers without problem. They work for me!

mtbr Decade+

I'm with Ricko...

I buy neoprene ice fishing shells from Walmart; they're 100% waterproof and under ten bucks. I slip in a kevlar glove borrowed from my work(cotton is fine too) and all is Golden, even up here in the frozen tundra...

surly inbred
    I gave up my snowmobile *sigh* last year, but still use my old Hotfingers gloves for riding. These things would warm a polar bear's ..well nevermind that. Seriously, they are a bit bulky, but beat anything else by a longshot. The newer stuff is pricey, but here's a link to the mfg. site...

warmth

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i bought some Fox Thermalpaws and they don't work well at all. Ok for chilly dry weather, but completely useless for cold and/or wet. Bought some winter gloves at a local outdoor store (REI) that were on sale, they are for snowsports(skiing,snowboarding). Seirus gloves i believe they are for skiing because the palm/inside of the thumb & index finger have a tough acrylic liner that helps grip the handlebars and prevents wear within the palm.
    Mt. biking accessories are always overpriced and usually not very good for their intended purpose, this is especially glaring for winter gear. i've been around long enough to realize that glomming off of other outdoor sports for clothing is really the way to go 75% of the time.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    I'll second the specialized sub zeros. I've had two pairs with no complaints.

mtbr member
    I use Lake MX Zero gloves, as recommended by icebike.com, and they work well for temps above about 10 degrees F. With the gloves on, I have just enough dexterity to lock and unlock my bike, put on sunglasses and things like that. They're comfortable too.

Feb 2004
    I'm a big fan of the PI amfib lobster claw gloves.