Cold weather clothing question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cold weather clothing question?

For MTB in 40 degree temperatures I have purchased a merino wool base layer and a North Face biking jacket, what do I wear for a mid layer ?

I know I need something else and not sure what would be the best thing to wear without being too bulky but also be able to keep me warm.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just try a regular jersey for a mid-layer and see how that does. I've found wool base layers be pretty effective.

I would get too hot with all that on with temps in the 40s. I have a thin Smartwool brand jersey, and I'll start a ride with a long sleeve athletic shirt from Target as a second layer. Unless it is really windy, I'll end up with just the wool jersey on.

Caca pasa
    First layer, thin polypro long sleeve, w/ a cycling jersey over it, then a windbreaker.

Warming up, I'll take the windbreaker off, then the other 2 will be sufficient to keep me warm. If that's too warm, I'll shed the polypro.

The other poster was right, 40 degrees is pretty warm after a few minutes.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In 40 deg. a jacket / wind breaker is too sweaty A fleece with arms rolled up for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a wool short sleeve base, arm and knee warmers and covers for my shoes.. This is good if not too warm for the upper 40's and good down to mid 30's once warmed up. This is my basic road set up and use it and less on the trail. I have a jacket, but it comes off quick and I hate storing it so I usually never wear it. Should have bought a vest instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A jacket is something to carry for when you have a breakdown or hit an exposed windy ridge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    A jacket is something to carry for when you have a breakdown or hit an exposed windy ridge.

Agreed

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode in 40* yesterday. I had on a Under Armour cold mock with a UA cold gear runners jacket over top, Nike runners gloves and basketball shorts. I was chilly for the first 5 minutes but then was very comfortable after that.

I think a fleece or jacket would be too warm, especially if the jacket does not breathe well. I am thinking of getting some midweight tights for when it gets a little colder but for now it works.

mtbr member
    all merrino wool layers

the other materials just get wet, stay wet and are useless
    I would be comfortable (while riding) with
    a long sleeve wool over a short sleeve wool shirt

I crash, therefore I am
    Jun 2010
    I think winter or cold weather riding and what to wear is one of those completely subjective things.

I live in the northeast, so lately it's been down into the 30s and 40s and I still wear the same stuff I wore when it was in the 60s or warmer - cargo shorts, a short sleeve t-shirt and my regular riding gloves. The only additional clothing for 50 and below is a long sleeve REI polartec mid-weight base layer and I'm good to go. I find that if I stack too many layers I end up being 'too' warm, but that could just be me.
    2011 Scott Voltage FR20
    2009 Rocky Mountain Slayer

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A wind breaker vest adds a nice level of versatility.

Air Pirate
    Can't go wrong with the merino base layer. Beats the crap out of all the synthetic stuff like Under Armor, which does not freakin work once you stop moving...gets really clammy. Wool warms no matter how much moisture is in it. The wool will also move your sweat outward to the next layer, which can be just about any material, but wool again being the best.

I usually run a synthetic jersey over the wool baselayer, as I cannot shell out the cash sellers want for their wool stuff.

If it is really cold, I put a polar-fleece full zip on top of that, then if raining or windy or just really freakin cold I put a windbreaker/rainjacket/softshell outerlayer on top.

Legs just get warmers, tights, or tights w/wool baselayer when needed.

As someone said, the temp you feel cold at is subjective, and it will change depending on whether you are warmed up or not, moving or not. The key is moisture management, so you do not have cold clammy material next to your skin, and keeping moisture from going inward from the outside, such as rain and snow. If you have materials that transport moisture away from your body but still can warm if wet you are doing pretty good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How is merrino wool for getting smelly? I'm not liking all these space aged plastic clothes.

Air Pirate
    That is one of the wonders of Merino wool. It does not hold stink like most other fabrics, natural or synthetic.

Also, if you have a sensitivity to most wools, Merino will usually cause less of a problem with reaction. Since I was a kid just about every type of wool I came in contact with would give me a rash, but I can wear Merino wool next to my skin and not feel even the little bit itchy.

As far as the stink that hangs around the synths, I have tried several methods of washing and I discovered I like the liquid Tide detergent that contains Febreze Sport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    That is one of the wonders of Merino wool. It does not hold stink like most other fabrics, natural or synthetic.

Also, if you have a sensitivity to most wools, Merino will usually cause less of a problem with reaction. Since I was a kid just about every type of wool I came in contact with would give me a rash, but I can wear Merino wool next to my skin and not feel even the little bit itchy.

As far as the stink that hangs around the synths, I have tried several methods of washing and I discovered I like the liquid Tide detergent that contains Febreze Sport.
    That sounds easier than soaking in vinegar first.

Members who have read this thread: 0