Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cold Weather Bike Tights/Leggings

13K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  GelatiCruiser 
#1 ·
I've been really happy with my padded Pearl Izumi bike shorts. Now that the weather is getting colder I'm looking for something similar to wear during the winter. I'm looking into what Peal has to offer, but just wondering if anyone has any recommnedations?

I was hoping to get something to wear over/under the padded Pearl Izumi bike shorts I have. So that I could wear the legggings when I jog as well. This isn't a deal breaker though.

#4 ·
I use leg warmers until it gets into the low 40s, then I use some full-on winter tights (over my bibs) below that. I recommend getting some without the chamois, and use regular lycra under it.. that way, you can get multiple uses, before you have to wash them.

#12 ·
I have been using the same pair of Pearl Izumi Thermal Cycling Tights for some years now. I would highly recommend them. I also used them as liners for skiing/boarding. Don't get any with a chamois built in, since you have shorts you can wear underneath, and then you can use them comfortably for other sports.

I live in Colorado and wear them when the temp is anywhere below 45 degrees and down to 25 degrees, colder than that...stay at home!

I know you are asking about winter tights, but I would also recommend Performance Branded Ultra II Cycling shorts. They are very comfortable.

#16 ·
I wear shorts down to ~45 unless it is windy. I wear shorts with non-chamois tights (Louis Garneau nothing extravagant) down to the mid-low 30's and below there I wear tights w/ Chamois (Performance brand). I have long "pants" that I wear if it is snowing, raining or on blustery cold days.

#18 ·
OldManBike,

For the Novara Headwind pants, is the bottom of the leg able to go over a snow boot upper (I get cold feed easy)?
Can't say, haven't ever tried that. But I went and measured for you, and the diameter of the leg opening is ~5.5" with the ankle zips all the way closed. The ankle zips are 10". So I would think you could wear them over your snow boots; depending on how big the uppers were, maybe you'd have to leave the ankle zips partway up. Hope that helps.

(And its REI, so you could try them and if they don't work for you, return them.)

#21 ·
Totally wrong. First off smell does matter. Over time you won't be able to wash stink out of synthetics, they start to permanently carry the smell and it gets BAD. Unless you're not using your leggings for more than a season or two then it is a factor, Im sure many others who have used synthetics over a sustained period of time know what Im talking about. All that bacteria synthetics hold on to is pretty gross too, something you don't have to worry about with the naturally anti-microbial merino. Secondly merino is temperature regulating, meaning warm in cool weather and cool in warm weather, synthetic can't do that. A merino piece in the same weight as a synthetic can be used in a wider range of temperatures. Merino wicks moisture away while its still in the vapor form while synthetics can't, meaning you stay dry and don't get that clammy feeling, that one aspect alone makes merino worth it. And finally merino is just more durable than synthetics, over time merino ends up costing you less money as you get many more uses out of it.

#25 ·
a. I have recently tried PEARL IZUMI Men's AmFIB Tight Bibs with a light weight padded bike shorts in 30 degree temps and were toasty warm! Bibs keep the back nice and warm and no drafts. ++ Got them on Amazon for $75

b. Was using PEARL IZUMI Elite mens winter pants w/ chamois, but got to drafty.

#29 ·
I prefer all biking pants to be padded w/ chamois, but the AM Bibs don't have them. On plus side you can recycle them between washes. I have a pair of Volar ultra light shorts w/ chamois that I wear under the AM bibs.

The other day I used a middleweight LLBean Marino wool under my fleece lined shell and more than warm enough in 28 degree temps.

#30 ·
For a less expensive albeit fruity option: I wear padded shorts and leggings, and found the leggings still allow a touch too much wind to penetrate. My wife happened to have a pair of black yoga/stretchy pants sitting around, so I tried them on. They work great. Having the yoga pants and leggings allows me to strip down throughout the ride without getting too dang hot.I think they cost about 10 bucks at the box stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.