Cold weather all mountain shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Cold weather all mountain shoes

Currently using Northwave Artic Celsius cold weather shoes with SPDs. Nice warm shoe but traction is not very good on rocks. Looking for something with similar comfort and warmth but has a nice grippy rubber vs. several hard plastic spikes which slip on rocks. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Good job! Lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post
    Currently using Northwave Artic Celsius cold weather shoes with SPDs. Nice warm shoe but traction is not very good on rocks. Looking for something with similar comfort and warmth but has a nice grippy rubber vs. several hard plastic spikes which slip on rocks. Any suggestions?
    Lake MXY 303X (wide) or regular are 269 less 25% and free shipping this weekend from Nashbar. 202 shipped. Warm, Vibram sole, fairly grippy and really good in moderate cold

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for suggestion angelo will consider them on my list.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I use my lake 302s for Dhing all the time (and cold weather). Great boot for DH, put a strip of duct tape around that and your moto pants and all rocks/mud/crap is kept out of your foot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Am on the hunt as well.

Purchased the Giro Alpine Enduro but it's clearly made for narrower feet. But the primaloft certainly made the shoe feel warm. Too bad they don't come in wide sizes. Exchanging these for the Wolvhammer Cycling Boots. Large volume shoe for wide feet like mine.

And then also trying the Lakes 303s. The 303s come in wide sizes and seem to be a good shoe on paper.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    Am on the hunt as well.

Purchased the Giro Alpine Enduro but it's clearly made for narrower feet. But the primaloft certainly made the shoe feel warm. Too bad they don't come in wide sizes. Exchanging these for the Wolvhammer Cycling Boots. Large volume shoe for wide feet like mine.

And then also trying the Lakes 303s. The 303s come in wide sizes and seem to be a good shoe on paper.
    The wolfhammer is very stiff, does not flex like a regular shoe/boot. The Lakes conform and flex much better, but are not quite as warm. The Lakes are more "cool weather" boots IME, which means down to the upper 20s or so with shoe covers for me. Taking them colder requires some significant modifications and electricity (for me). Biggest piece of advice is get these things LARGER than you need, for thick socks and to have room to move your foot WITH the thick socks on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks, Jayem, helpful. I don't cycle below 20F, so the lakes sound like they are workable. I have Hotronics for when I used to road cycle in the winter and they do help for the colder days.

On my Sidi road shoes, I went two sizes up (for thicker sox, extra sox) as you say. I went one size up with the Lakes, but wide. I hope that should suffice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I know the OP isn't considering these but I will toss it out there for other readers.

I bought some military mickey mouse boots, the white extreme variety and my God are they warm. My feet get cold very easy and this morning I rode with the wind chill below zero and my feet were toasty warm with just one pair of socks.

They are very heavy and bulky but if your feet are warm it makes riding awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I can't speak more positively about the Bontrager OMW, I am on my second winter using them and couldn't be happier. They are not inexpensive but worth it in my opinion.

Bontrager OMW Winter Shoe | Trek Bikes

mtbr member
    Some really good socks or liners would be my first purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    anybody know where i can get a pair of sidi frost gore in the states?