Cold feet / toes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Cold feet / toes.

Help... I get cold feet / toes. Did a 20 mile pavement ride and my feet / toes are so cold...... And it was 53 degrees. And I had 2 pair of socks on. ( just normal everyday socks.)

What helps?

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    2017 YT Capra CF
    2016 Motobecane Bullet
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    couple of things. Avoid two pars of socks if it makes your shoes tight. Tight shoes equals no circulation and cold feet.

Get a pair of shoe covers at the bike shop. They make light weight water and wind proof versions as well as heavier real cold weather versions. I have a lighter weight version and they work great for anything above 35 - 40 degrees.

I tend to get cold toes as well and when I ride to work in the winter on days below 35 degrees I will put one of those hand warm packets on top of my shoe/toes then put the shoe cover on over that - works great, toes stay nice and warm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you definitely want circulation for cold feet so don't wear two pair of socks. Get a thin pair of wool socks which will help. Make sure your shoes aren't clamped down tight. Windproof shoe covers help a lot as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: Cold feet / toes.

thanks everyone. Bought a pair of thin wool socks today and they work great.

going to get the wind covers next. I think they will really help too.

2017 YT Capra CF
    2016 Motobecane Bullet
    2013 Trek Domane 2.3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cold extremities can mean you need more insulation for your core.
    Blood will not go to your extremities until your organs are warm.
    Get a wool 200g short sleeve shirt from Icebreaker or Endura Baa Baa.
    Wind protection for your core would help also. Goretex works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I also suffer from cold toes. A technique that works well for me is do jumping jacks before the ride and periodically thereafter. The colder it is then the more frequently I do the jumping jacks.

Cheers, Steve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    all good advice above. When's it's really cold (below 30 degrees F) I use toe warmers in my shoes. Awesome stuff

https://www.fontanasports.com/prodim...-DEFAULT-l.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't wear mesh summer shoes? I use flat pedals and low hiking boots, winter boots in the (wait for it) winter. 45 north , lake and a few others make pricey, very warm spd winter shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Plastic baggies between your socks and shoes work pretty well.

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Javorsky View Post
    Help... I get cold feet / toes. Did a 20 mile pavement ride and my feet / toes are so cold...... And it was 53 degrees. And I had 2 pair of socks on. ( just normal everyday socks.)

What helps?

Are flat pedals an option for you? It's great when you're not held hostage to expensive cycling specific footwear. Though I have bought winter cycling shoes in the past and they do work well.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Defeet Woolie Boolie's. They're $12-15 per pair but god they are the best socks I've ever worn. They wick away sweat too so I wear them until it's 70-80 then go back to normal socks. Even at that price I went back and bought 5 more pairs after my fiancee got me some for Christmas last year.

Amazon and most outdoor places like REI have them.

EAT MORE GRIME
    ideas:

shoes one or two euro sizes too big, and fat wool socks. toes do need wiggle room

aerogel footbed !!! <-------absolutely this make a big difference!!!!

2 socks but this way-->ultra thin silk sock, then a wool sock

tape a handwarmer or toe warmer across the top of your toes, use a little scotch tape, once foot is in the shoe it should stay put. good for 3 hours or more. put on top of sock not under a sock

RAKC
    shoe covers biggest thing for me, but i ride flats. So wool socks (need to get something a bit more stylish than what I have atm,lol) till about 30deg, below that I have shoe covers. I dress warm enough that I sweat a bit around my core area so extremities dont need AS MUCH help. FIgure once I get my fat bike Ill have to rethink my approach a little though.

Pogies and shoe covers I have found to be my best friend for winter riding. Partially cause trigger shift is a pita with huge gloves on. If you find the right shoes though, shoe covers arent needed so much anymore. Biggest thing when its cold is keep cold air out, takes less to stay warm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wool socks definitely. And shoes not too tight. I have a problem with circulation to feet. I usually have to start activity with shoes loose or else I'll get achy feet. This affects me in both riding and snowboarding. Once I warm up I can tighten shoes down. That's why now my shoes and boots use Boa or similar.
    Good fitting footwear key too. I've gone to using Sole insoles and heatforming them per instructions. I haven't heard of any cycling footwear that's heatformable, but I've done it with my snowboard boots at a good shop in Whistler and it helped a lot.
    And the core thing I learned when snowboarding. When its brutally cold out, run heatpacks not in shoes or handwarmers, but get the adhesive or stretchy belt ones and put warmer pads on your kidneys. If its so cold your core is getting chilled, no amount of feet and handwarmers help because your core takes priority and your body will start shutting down flow to extremities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Defeet Woolie Boolie's. They're $12-15 per pair but god they are the best socks I've ever worn. They wick away sweat too so I wear them until it's 70-80 then go back to normal socks. Even at that price I went back and bought 5 more pairs after my fiancee got me some for Christmas last year.

Amazon and most outdoor places like REI have them.
    I wear hiking boots and wool socks. I need a couple new pairs this season and I was interested in trying these woolie boolies. Are you wearing these as a single layer? And down to what temps?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Try putting a layer of duct tape or package tape on the top side of your socks from your toes up. Dirt cheap and it lets the rest of your foot to breathe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I wear hiking boots and wool socks. I need a couple new pairs this season and I was interested in trying these woolie boolies. Are you wearing these as a single layer? And down to what temps?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah single layer. They're perfect for cycling in about 45-75 or colder if you wear another layer or put one of those single use toe warmer things on.

Hiking they can be worn colder and hotter. It's the wind getting through your shoes that makes them less cold friendly and I exert myself a lot more cycling so that's why I wear something lighter above 75 but again for hiking they're fine

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^ thanks! I have some really thin liners that work well under wool. not sure what the heck they are made of, but they work well when it gets below freezing.

mtbr member
    I second the recommendation for disposable adhesive toe warmers for when it is really cold.

Pro tip: don't put them under your toes. Stick them to the top of toes. Gives your more wiggle room and they don't get annoyingly bunched up under your toes as you pedal.

I'd also suggest slightly bigger shoes with a warmer and little bit thicker cold weather specific sock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re cold feet I recomend

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Yeah single layer. They're perfect for cycling in about 45-75 or colder if you wear another layer or put one of those single use toe warmer things on.
    The secret to feet staying warm . (1) exercise makes your feet sweat, moisture makes your feet cold (It that simple) .To combat it I recommend polypropylene socks these are thin like silk .Then over them a pair of smartwool hike socks in merino wool ($9.00 in Marshalls) both can be bought a good sport shops EMS and the like .The way it works the sweat is transferred into the wool and the feet stay dry and the circulation is not cut off by multiple socks .I deer hunt and have to walk to my blind about 1/4 mile and have to sit still for hours my feet are never cold even in 10 degree weather , before my feet my would be wet and I could not keep my feet warm .Try it it seems crazy but it works .

Pondoro