Cold Belly- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cold Belly

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Cold Belly

I have wearing less and less clothing to try and fight the sweating.

It was about 30 degrees this morning and I had a wool base layer with just a Pearl Izumi windproof jacket over it (thing is very thin and besides being windproof it provides nothing).

I had arm warmers, legwarmers, pants, and gloves on.

I felt great except when I turned into the wind my belly was very cold.

I had bibs on and maybe that was stopping my base layer from evaporating the sweat?

Any tips? for stopping the cold belly? I am 6 foot 3 inches and weigh about 200 pounds, a little spare tire but not fat by any means.

I can deal with the cold, any chance of frostbite?

mtbr member
    I can totally relate about the sweating! It comes in handy when you need to cool down but not appreciated when you are in a harsh environment. I haven't been doing epic rides where I need to worry about core temps in freezing conditions, but I have been doing some climbing with split board where you really do have some clothing handy to fight some serious temp drops during transition from spit to full board.
    I would think the bibs are your issue. Extremities are the first to lose blood flow. You gotta be wet under that part of your bibs like you say. Probably won't kill you. I usually freeze my butt off when I start descending.

mtbr member
    Anytime you have multiple layers, you trap moisture along with the heat. What kind of jacket material is it? Not all windproof jackets are created equal in the breathability department. Maybe only zip up the jacket when you turn into the wind. Even better if you have a 2-way zipper.... just unzip from the bottom to expose your belly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhextall View Post
    any chance of frostbite?
    At 30 degrees and assuming you not riding shirtless at 100 mph?

Nope.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You need just a touch of insulation, just fuzz really on the backside, a real lightweight softshell type jacket is better than those thin "only a lightweight shell" type jackets. I reserve the latter for the summer and shoulder seasons. A lot of the pearl izumi stuff is this (thin shell), but I find a far better selection of softshells in running/hiking and other departments, all sorts of varying weights. You need a few for some options.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EAT MORE GRIME
    you need one more layer. thin silk would do it

either that, or a bacon-built lining (from inside)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Today it was 20 degrees with almost no wind. I wore the same clothes but put the bibs under the wool base layer, thinking the wool would better evaporate the sweat if it was on top.

I still got a very cold belly about 6 miles in. I stopped and put a light jacket over the top of everything and felt great the remaining 7 miles.

Like others suggest, I don't think a windbreaker that is ultra ultra thin and a wool base layer is enough for me.

I ordered a goodwill wool sweatshirt that I plan on using as an insulation layer as the winter progresses.

Thanks for the replies.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also, your base layer needs to be pretty tight fitting. There is a HUGE difference in how warm I feel when my base layer is loose. It shouldn't be uncomfortably tight obviously, but not loose. I have a few larger base layers that while thicker and more insulating, make me colder when I wear them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Co Springs

Low rider tube top ?

If your layers and clothing works well otherwise, why not try making a sweatshirt tube top.

Cut the thing under the arm pits and wear it like you would layer insulation tape around a pipe, just in that one problem area.

If it slips down on you, maybe add that nursing compression tape or wear it inverted so the stretchy band normally at the waist/sweatshirt base is up at your upper belly/rib cage.

That gives you the extra layer wear you need it. Whatever you find that works, report back.
    That is an interesting and challenging dilemma for sure.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Fat is a decent insulator, so if you got some on your belly, your belly skin can get cold because it's insulated from your core. The fatter I am, the colder my belly.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    If your layers and clothing works well otherwise, why not try making a sweatshirt tube top.

Cut the thing under the arm pits and wear it like you would layer insulation tape around a pipe, just in that one problem area.

If it slips down on you, maybe add that nursing compression tape or wear it inverted so the stretchy band normally at the waist/sweatshirt base is up at your upper belly/rib cage.

That gives you the extra layer wear you need it. Whatever you find that works, report back.
    That is an interesting and challenging dilemma for sure.
    I actually thought about doing something like that. I think all my old sweatshirts are cotton so after a while I would likely end up with a frozen spare tire.

Going to dig around my closet and see what I can come up with.

Might not be as big an issue when the temps dip single digits and lower, at that point I will be needing the extra layer everywhere.