clydesdale helmets- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

clydesdale helmets

Im having a problem finding a helmet that fits. I ordered a AXO helmet that said it was 60-62, but it squeezed my head like a vice. Now Im afraid to order anything or ask for *** as a replacement/swap for the AXO.

Who knows what helmets are sized for the huge-craniummed of us out there? (Im more front-to back large than round-headed, I think therein lies my problem. I really dont want to plunk down 300 for a Troy Lee, but if I have to I will. (Yes, it is my noggin, but if it gets crushed in one season, I'll be really mad. Not only at myself, but that's another story...)

Any ideas?

(Im looking for a full-face helmet for DH/Freeride use. I posted this here, since most of those kids are... well, KIDS. They don't all have 225lbs to lug abound and ther heads are smaller.)

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Before now, I would have said Troy Lee. That's what I run - the moto version SE in an XL. If you want super-light, the Vigor Vamoose carbon is a big XL.

The new Giro Remedy is probably your answer. They are finally making a Large (unlike the MadMax), and it fits my XL head, and is way cheaper than the TLD.

Mar 2006
    I got one from Trek. My noggin is about a size 8.

Nov 2005
    giro's helmets traditionally suit rounder heads, whereas bells fit more narrow ones. clydes are probably more likely to have larger, rounder heads, generally speaking, so i would suggest giro. if you can, though, try one on. thats really the only way to tell.

Apr 2004
    Yeah, I have the more pointy head rather than a round melon. Most shops here have ones for heads smaller than mine. (62-64 cm or a 7 3/4 fitted SF giants cap, and even that's a bit tight.)

I'll keep looking, thanks for the replies.

Sep 2005

Try Giro

Giro's that are adjustable (E2, Zen, Animas, etc) tend to be rather large. Zen really fits a round melon like a glove. I actually wear a med Giro and a large in just about every other helmet. A tip: Spend a few extra bucks and get a lid that has plastic on the inner lip as it will guard against dings. Specialized has lids that are almost entirely covered in plastic and stay looking clean much longer IMO. A bit pricey and not the coolest but smartly designed.

dust2dust
    Jan 2004
    I currently have a Bell Kinghead (attractive name, I know, don't tell me about it). The Kinghead's been out of production for a few years, but I just saw the other day that Bell has released a helmet called the Triton. It goes up to 25.5". I find that most manufacturers only go up to 24 something. It's cheap at $35. It's not full-faced, but it's a good solution if you have a friggin thick skull like mine.
    "I get knocked down, but I get up again."

Mar 2005
    I have a Giro Animas...and it fits my rock like a glove.

I wear a size L/XL (7 3/4 head size), and it is really a great helmet. What I like about the Giro helmets is that they offer more protection around the temple area than most of the other helmets I have seen.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    I've been using Giro Atlas helmets for the last couple of years. The Atlas is designed to accomodate larger heads than Giro's other helmet offerings.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Machine
    I have a Giro Animas...and it fits my rock like a glove.

I wear a size L/XL (7 3/4 head size), and it is really a great helmet. What I like about the Giro helmets is that they offer more protection around the temple area than most of the other helmets I have seen.
    yep. Giro Xen saved my knoggin on a wreck with coverage others wouldn't have.
    GREAT COVERAGE!!!

Make sure you get enough vents.
    Xen is great, but only 17 vents to the 27 for Animas or 24 for E2.

http://www.giro.com/main.html

they have full face ones too.

you get what you pay for, so protect your knoggin!

Members who have read this thread: 0