Clydes, what helmet ya wearing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Clydes, what helmet ya wearing?

I am having the hardest time finding a helmet that fits, I have tried some and found one specialized that fits but it looks weird and sits like way up on my head and doesn't look right. I can't find any companies that appear to make XL helmets. So, as I know I need a helmet, can you guys offer any insight on which company or what online retailer I should look at to find a helmet that fits?

Ride what you want!!
    I wear a blue helmet.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Hmm.. I don't have a big head but I like the way the Specialized fit. Each brand tends to fit a certain "shape" head, some are rounder others more oval, some egg-shaped... You'll just have to keep looking for one that fits your head.

Jun 2003

Giro.

Quote Originally Posted by ero2
    I am having the hardest time finding a helmet that fits, I have tried some and found one specialized that fits but it looks weird and sits like way up on my head and doesn't look right. I can't find any companies that appear to make XL helmets. So, as I know I need a helmet, can you guys offer any insight on which company or what online retailer I should look at to find a helmet that fits?
    Giro makes big lids. I am using an E2, and it is the sleekest, lightest, coolest helmet I have ever had. THey are spendy, but the fit is worth it.

Steamroller

Giro used to fit

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Giro makes big lids. I am using an E2, and it is the sleekest, lightest, coolest helmet I have ever had. THey are spendy, but the fit is worth it.
    I have a Giro that fits me real well, but when I tried recently to get a different one they were not comfy I ended up with a Bell. Go to a shop with lots and start trying them on.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

what a joke
    Giro. I think its called the Animas(?)
    blah blah blah

Mar 2004
    Yeah, its the Animas. I've got the largest one they do and it's the only helmet I've found that fits my large melon head and two feet of hair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    still got my Bell Avalanche with the Reebok pump mechanism! i love it... pffft pffft pffft for the hardcore sections... psssssssssssst... .ahhh for the relaxed sections. it's also got a troy lee visor on it. back from like 94 i think.

mtbr member
    Giro Atlas. They're designed specifically for bigger, rounder heads. Before my Atlas I wore a Bell Oasis that worked fine. Either one is pretty reasonable in cost.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Presently liking my Giro E2. Had a Bell Rubicon Pro, an Evo II and another Bell before that. Was looking to get a Bell X-Ray, but when I was able to try the X-Ray and the E2 side by each, the E2 won out for comfort and the fact that Bell no longer offers their “industry leading” crash replacement program. The Rubicon was pretty good, but all of the Bell helmets I have worn had a bad habit of draining sweat straight down my forehead into my eyes. My Giro E2 is much better about this. Found it on sale for $89 which is pricey, but my melon needs to breathe and be comfortable or I tend to get a little cranky… Bell used to have a great crash replacement program, but they have adjusted to the “industry standard” of offering a 20% discount off of MSRP for a replacement. It’s cheaper to find another good helmet on sale than to take them up on that. Bye-bye Bell (for me). Helmets are like saddles and it’s a very personal thing as is the shape of your head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Giro but don't remember which model.

Jan 2004

Gyro, said with thick greek accent....

Giro? isnt that a tasty greek sandwitch? on a pita with grilled onions and that white cucumber sauce(what is called? zodzichi sauce)? No, it`s the helmet i wear. one of the origanal Exodus in forest green(run forest) hey lets get back to that sandwitch. Is that atkins friendly? doh. Man guy`s i`m really missing chicago right now! they`ve got the best munchies there. maybe i`ll take a roadtrip up there, catch the rush concert at tinley park then go to palos park the following day, to help do some of that new trail building they`ve been marking.
    Ok i know, i`m ranting over here. cause i havent posted in couple of days and i gotta get my fix. so yes giro helmets seem too fit my big nogging pretty darn well. But soon i`ll be looking at new models in a different style, maybe skate or dirt jump style. better yet, get rowdy with a full face moto cross stylee. This way i can be like bluto blutarski and his death mobile. Hey can you guess what i am? I am an animal HOUSE! get it? Huh? Get it? um er yes um meds. um goodnight

Tracking up the place

e2

i have an e2 giro....i tried tons of helmets....i did have a bell nemisis wih canuck leafs on it. it was a good helmet till you sweat though...

Jan 2004

I use a Specialized....

My brain-bucket is a 2002 Specialized Telluride Helmet nearing the end of it's life cycle. It has been a very comfortable helmet and has supported my NiteRider lamp sufficiently. I think my noggen is size 7 3/4, but I could be wrong (One-Size-Fits-All baseball caps never fit my head). There are fractures forming in my helmet after a couple years of crashes. Using it as a battering ram when entering a wash with low hanging brush doesn't help either. Would I buy again? Sure, but I will try on a couple Giros first (not the sandwich).

Slave to the grind

big headed people unite!

I thought it was only me and my buddy having helmet problems...
    the only things that fit me are the l/xl giros and large specializeds- which also make my head look like a mushroom (your not alone ero2). sadly giros have stopped making the l/xl size and just make a large "L" really sucks... in any case the only thing that fits perfectly is the giro xen but hot damn thats an expensive helmet. sorta makes you think brain surgery might be cheaper..

been looking for a full face helmet for the longest time and would love all your inputs.
    i tried them all:
    bell xl -wont go over my head.
    azonic xxl- cant go open my mouth to breathe or talk.
    specialized- feels like a vice.
    661, ordered it from jenson couldnt even move my lips..
    giro- stopped making xl full face helmets and Large for that matter WTF?!!!!

tried motorcross helmets in desperation.. no luck yet...

im beginning to think that the helmet companies have done research that DHers have much less brain cells than anyone else- hence tiny heads and therefore only need tiny helmets......

my only hope left is pryme.. havent tried that one. any other suggestions guys?
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am using an old Giro gila. I think it's about 7 years old.

BIG and Bald
    Giro Atlas!!!
    "Don't neever gave up..."