Clyde-worthy Fall & Winter Prep (Clothing, Tires, Maintenance). Plz Help.- Mtbr.com
    I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009

Clyde-worthy Fall & Winter Prep (Clothing, Tires, Maintenance). Plz Help.

Ok, so I've been riding since early April.. started then, now I have my 2nd bike and spent roughly $2k for the bike, parts, and gear.. 50lb+ and 1000+ miles later, I intend to continue...

Heres where I need help..

This is Buffalo, NY... its fall already, its cold, and soon enough it'll be snowy. I'm a big guy and I ride mostly long paved park trails around the University now, I do roughly 15 miles daily.

I'm size 44 waist and 3x & 3xlt Top. So I've stumbled across some things online but nothing Clyde-worthy, so I'm here.

1st) Does anyone know of any Cold weather gear that I should invest in as a Clyde, to continue riding? I do not like overheating, or bulk.. if you know of some kind of under-clothing that is skin-tight but will keep my giblets from turning to ice-cubes, I'd MUCH prefer that over anything ontop, or layers. Any and all suggestions much appreciated!

Face covers, jackets, helmet covers or skull-caps, pants, gloves, anything you guys can possibly suggest for winter and snow wear. I intend to be out riding for no more than 1.5-2.5 hours a day. I prefer to be a bit cold vs. a bit hot, so small is big to me. Anything you guys got?

2nd) I'm running some pretty good tires, they are 2.1, the rear is almost worn out, but I do have a rear Velociraptor already sitting in my room for when I chose to change out the rear. Is there any specific reasonably priced tires that you would recommend much more highly for winter riding that will probably involve snow?

3rd) I will not be on the road, so I am not worried about salt on my bike.. I am however worried about possible wetness from the snow or other such things. Can anyone with experience in winter maintenance chime in and help out this first winter noob?

Thank you all much in advance.. this journey has been nuts, and I refuse to let it end because of something like Buffalo snow & ice.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    It never gets cold in Texas, but I would go with loose fit Under Armour, love the stuff.

mtbr member
    Go check out an independent mountaineering/outdoor store that carries XC ski stuff in the winter and trail running apparel as well. If they don't have your size, you can at least check out the styles and look online for your size.

You'll find great technical fabrics(better than many cycling companies currently use) and several fit options.

Love the light weight APEX stuff from the North Face. Outdoor Research and Patagonia have a ton of options as well.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find something that will work for cold weather/winter aerobic pursuits without a lot of bulk/layers.

When it'sfreezing or below I ride in 100wt windproof tights over my cycling shorts and a light soft shell jacket over a single layer light weight synthetic long underwear top. When it's above freezing I can get away with Hoss Knickers and good knee warmers.
    A skull cap, booties, and windproof gloves and I'm good to go unless it's driving rain and wind.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    nobody carries 3x size jackets =/

this blows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It doesn't have to be bike specific. Also - if you find a short sleeved top that is good for a base layer, get some arm warmers to go with it. I love arm warmers for that ease and using SS tops all year round.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Don't bother looking at any "cycling" specific clothing in your sizing. I'm a little smaller in the waist (40/42) but still need a 3x for shirts.

But there is plenty of action wear that you can find that would work just find.

First off, I find take care of your hands and feet first. IF they are cold everything doesn't matter. I use Specializes Sub zero gloves. It's a inner neoprene style glove and a weather proof long sleeve outer. The great thing is you can use both of them separately when it's a little warmer. For feet, I use 1-2 pairs of really good wool socks. Wool socks are your friend!! my regular cycling shoes and Pearl izumi covers. I would love to invest in a real pair of cycling cold weather shoes but just can't justify it.

I stand corrected about the cycling clothes. Lycra stenches pretty easily and you can usually find 2xl long thermal cycling tights in most good lbs's or online. I'm usually pretty good with a mid weight pair and just mu shorts. In really nasty weather, I run a pair of walmart specials waterproof outers (in the hunting/camping section ($19.99 for walmarts) $75 for tights)

For torso, LAYER, LAYER, I run a base under armer style long sleeve and a lined thermal under armor style long sleeve with a wind resistance jacker (champion windbreaker that I waterproofed) I usually find that's all I need for the ride. Half the time mid ride I'll pull a layer off as needed. Worst case and I've only done this once, is mu outer shell from my winter jacket. Almost never, if it's that cold chances are I'll just use the trainer.

Head, neck, a balaclava is all I need, can run it just on neck or wrap around neck,head under helmet. Once again, It's usaully the wind that gets to you, You just want to block it but still let your body breath.
    The secret is to be just uncomfortable or cold when you are standing around or pre-ride. If you are comfortable before you start riding you will overheat when you really start working up your body temp.

Hope this helps!

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Ok, took the advice of several people here and went to a local sporting store to find some cycling (or not) clothes. Not everything in the stores was my size but some came damn close and felt good.. so I went online and found stuff in my sizes and with Good reviews. Winter-proofing myself here.

Under Armour - Men's ColdGearŽ Longsleeve Mock - 3XL - Black - Ordered

Under Armour - Men's ColdGearŽ Action Legging - 2XL - Black - Ordered

Under Armour - ColdGearŽ Hood - Ordered

Fox Reflex Gel Full Finger Glove 2009 - Ordered (Full finger version of my current half-finger) (they are awesome and on sale at PP)

I have several wind-breakers for jackets already.

My Remaining questions are:

1) Do I need some kind of under-glove? as there will be a tiny bit of exposure through these Fox gloves.. I just refuse to compromise on the comfort of these gel gloves, they are literally the best I've ever tried.

2) My feet.. the booties out there seem to be too expensive or fit mostly road bikes. Its hard for me to justify a $50 Pearl Izumi bootie. The top of my shoes has ventilation and will surely let the cold in.. should I perhaps invest in some kind of sock, or forgo this all together, put platform pedals back on my bike, and wear my amazing Merrell hiking shoes, so my feet are guaranteed Dry & Warm and if my bike flips in the snow I can come off it?

3) Wind-Breaker pants. I never had any, I do have a lot of very nice Adidas gym pants to put over the Under Armor .. not sure if its enough. Where would I find Wind-Breaker pants that are bike friendly and not saggy? Or maybe I'll stick with my gym shorts and see if the UA can do its job alone with knee-to-ankle. ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I usually am just fine with tights and shorts. Like I mentioned above Walmart has a decent set of waterproof/windproof pants for $19. that works pretty well for biking (they are really long when you are standing but perfect when you are on the bike). Check the hunting/camping section. It's around the rain gear stuff. Otherwise the jogging pants work Ok too. I find they usually ride up too far on the leg when you are actually pedaling.

With the gloves you want a windproof outer for those. Here's my take on succesful winter riding is blocking as much as wind as possible. Those Fox gloves are great but mesh tops will let cold right thru.

The pearl booties are expensive but worth it for the same reason as above. The second option is if you can find them is a neoprene wind proof sock (Gore windstopper) those will last longer becuase they are under your shoe but almost as expensive as the Booties.

Other than that you are looking pretty good.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    I usually am just fine with tights and shorts. Like I mentioned above Walmart has a decent set of waterproof/windproof pants for $19. that works pretty well for biking (they are really long when you are standing but perfect when you are on the bike). Check the hunting/camping section. It's around the rain gear stuff. Otherwise the jogging pants work Ok too. I find they usually ride up too far on the leg when you are actually pedaling.

With the gloves you want a windproof outer for those. Here's my take on succesful winter riding is blocking as much as wind as possible. Those Fox gloves are great but mesh tops will let cold right thru.

The pearl booties are expensive but worth it for the same reason as above. The second option is if you can find them is a neoprene wind proof sock (Gore windstopper) those will last longer becuase they are under your shoe but almost as expensive as the Booties.

Other than that you are looking pretty good.
    The gloves have lycra on the top, but they do have one small, dime-sized opening where the latch attaches over the wrist... and give me dime-sized tan spots at the top of my hands that ppl find funny. Maybe I should just get something for the wrist to cover that one spot.. I swear, these are the only gloves that make my hands not go numb after an hour.

The boots.. I'm still up in the air. But leaning hiking-shoe & platforms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Check Cabelas. They make all kinds of "hunting" apparel and have a lot of big and tall sizes. Its not all camo and most of it is identical to North Face type gear just branded toward a different type of outdoor sport and usually cheaper. They have all kinds of base layers....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Can you guys get Sealskinz socks and gloves over there? Many Brit bikers use them through the winter - socks with a Goretex membrane in them. Great, but don't wash them on anything other than really cool!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Winter drive train lube of chouce is Pledge. Learned that from a cyclocrosser.

Clothing whise layering is better.

Feet- wool socks are your friend.

Hands- underglove with a apir of goretex motorcycle shells over top.

Members who have read this thread: 0