Clothing for sunny days?- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

Clothing for sunny days?

I didn't see a "clothing" forum, so just posting here. I ride in the extreme heat sometimes (90+ degrees) with the sun beating down. A friend of mine was diagnosed with skin cancer a year ago and now I'm taking precautions to protect myself from the sun. I regularly wear sunblock, but thought I'd invest in some long-sleeve shirts to cover up my arms.

My question: Anyone know of a company that makes long-sleeve bike shirts to be used in hot weather? (READ: Light clothing with good UV protection). Not sure if such item exists. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...2/refScid/1720

Nike makes these for golf. No reason you could not use them for biking.

mtbr member
    Don't most modern hot weather shirts also provide UV protection? It may not be a bike-specific shirt, but Under Armour, Nike and the like all make short- and long-sleeved shirts like this (see http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e..._sell=1201086).

Apr 2007
    That Nike Dri-FIT on the first link might just be the ticket. Thanks for posting that up. I'm going to call my local golf shops to see if they carry them and try them on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have the assos arm warmers I use for road riding and they are very thin but no not think they have UV protection. Arm warmers are nice too because they roll off and fit well in your jersey pocket.

Apr 2007
    Yeah, I like the sleeve idea better than a long-sleeved shirt for the reason you stated. At $24, it's a no-brainer.

Charm City Cowboys
    i had a mountain hardware longsleeve and it had an spf rating, it was also real thin for summertime use. I think it was meant for hiking.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I like the feel and light weight of the Craft garments.

http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...d=794&bcsex=m#

Charm City Cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I like the feel and light weight of the Craft garments.

http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_zo...d=794&bcsex=m#
    yeah craft makes some good stuff. I baselayer up with it when i snowboard or if im doing cold weather riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am dark skinned and I protect myself from the sun in a big way.

I wear a long sleeve, lightweight baselayer under my jersey. Then I lather up in 50SPF sport sunscreen.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanla
    i had a mountain hardware longsleeve and it had an spf rating, it was also real thin for summertime use. I think it was meant for hiking.

+1 for Mountain Hardwear. they're summertime hiking shirts, have an SPF rating, but aren't cheap!

fishing shirts will also work really well.

snickers driven

fishing shirt!

I fly fish as my first passion, that industry has it figured out: nylon blends that wick, dry quickly, rollup sleeves, high collars, vented backs/sides, most recently with UPF factors of 30-50. Cabela's, Orvis, REI, Columbia, Ex Officio, whatever. Plus you'll be stylin like those North Shore-denim jeans-510 shredding dudes.

I've been wearing mine for afternoon rides around ABQ this summer,they're just as cool, and offer way more sun protection on those longer rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Under-Armour Heat Gear...long sleeve, loose fitting, and so breathable it feels like you're not wearing a shirt.

I rode for the first time in one of these shirts last week. The heat index was 108 and it was so humid that you'd sweat through your shirt just standing in the shade...no lie.

The Under-Armour shirt is awesome. Blocks the sun, so light it's like it's not there and it actually does "wick" sweat away from your body and speeds the evaporation process.

Up until last week I had just been riding in whatever old cotton T-shirt I could find...they get soaked and stick to you and they just suck.

+1 for Under-Armour. I hope I never have to ride in the heat without it again.

mtbr member
    i have these for riding
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Fr+Jersey.aspx
    there on sale for $9
    i choose mountain bikeing because i cant aford an engine

Apr 2007
    I went by some stores to find those sleeves, but came up with nothing. But I did find those UA Heatgear long-sleeve shirts. I bought one (although they only had blue--would've rather gotten a lighter color), so I'll try it out this weekend.

Also, I'm sorry, but I don't think I could wear those button-down fishing shirts biking!

Give it a crank
    Best I've ever used were the lightweight, long-sleeve dirt biking jerseys. Don't know the material but I know it was synthetic something magic. Haven't seen anything else like it, wish it hadn't gone out in the last donation. They're easy to find in the motocross catalogs.

Members who have read this thread: 0