• 11-15-2009
    SVSocrates
    Clothing Question: Stain removal.
    I recently (I have NO IDEA HOW) got chewing gum on the outside, i.e. non-liner part of my mountain biking shorts, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had to remove that kind of stain from their gear.

I called Fox and they said they would "research it" for me and get back to me, but I haven't heard back yet from them.

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
  • 11-15-2009
    w00t!
    So are you talking about a stain left behind by the gum or is it the actual gum you're having a hard time removing? If it's the gum, try rubbing ice on it to harden it up, then you can pick it off.
  • 11-15-2009
    SVSocrates
    I think it may be more of the gum. I've run it through the wash once, but the remaining gum seems to be almost sublimated.
  • 11-15-2009
    Bent Wheel
    My grandmother used to use peanut butter to get gum off of things, but you may be trading one type of stain for another.
  • 11-15-2009
    JEFROX
    Try rubbing it with oil - baby oil, cooking oil, olive oil, etc. It's a slow process but it usually works.
  • 11-16-2009
    jrm
    Have gone through the washer
    the gum could be permeated into the nylon fabric. You might try using dry heat. Then use a paper towel as a sponge to pull the gum out of one side of the nylon.
  • 11-16-2009
    medieval
    I picked up a wad of gum once when I ran over it on a road ride. It got flung up on my backpack, shorts, and shirt. I had good luck with either "Goof Off" or "Goo Gone". I can't remember which it was.
  • 11-16-2009
    tsimbu
    Motsenbocker's Lift Off #2 formula
    You should be able to find it at Home Depot (usually) in the paint isle.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2009
    SVSocrates
    Excellent. Thanks Travis!
  • 11-17-2009
    unfluid one
    i got gum all over my jeans and packing tape did the trick.. or any sticky tape. just press on, and rip off couple hundred times, using a clean side of the tape each time.