clothing for mtbing question- Mtbr.com

Nov 2008

clothing for mtbing question

hey guys i own a clothing company and i love to ride. i wanted to branch off into mtbing and was woundering what you guys like to see. i was think maybe jerseys with build in pads. any input would be great. thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i dunno about jerseys with pads...
    for DH, my jersey is lose fitting, so pads would be weird.

Nov 2008
    i figured the padding in the jersey makes so that way you dont have to wear elbow pads underneath. i use to play alot of paintball and my jerseys all had thick padding up and down the arms. im a small guy and i wore 3x whenever i played. just a though

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    id rather have elbow pads that stay in one place rather than pads that shift around with my clothes.

might be ok for the AM crowd who dont armor up as much.

bike rider
    Well, if this year's ski/snowboard fashions carry into summer we'll all be riding in tight pants, tall tees, and neon headbands so go get a jump on Fox and Roach.
    Keep the Country country.

ready to ride
    I dont Know about padded jerseys but padded shorts would be nice. just around the Knee though or it would feel funny. Whats your company called? Do you have any designs yet? if so it would be nice see them.Cheers
    N* = <3 <3]

Glad to Be Alive
    DH cargo pants
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

local trails rider
    Pads should stay with the body, not the clothes. Some tougher fabrics can be useful in spots that are more likely to hit the ground hard when you crash.

Pants (or 3/4 pants) that cover the skin from minor scrapes but still offer good ventilation.

Colors: I hate loud multi-colored designs. (loud solid colors, or loud graphics on duller background are not that bad)

squish is good
    Whatever you do make it cheap. $100 for a pair of shorts is ridiculous. Chamoise is good, make it cheap, and not stupid looking and I'll buy it. Cheap means under $50 for a baggy/chamoise combo and I'm happy.
    Bike good, work bad.

SamIAm
    ok here is what you need to do.

make clothes that are CUT right. offer shorts with different outerseams. im tall n skinny, 6'2 34waist with most bein legs. i have a real hard time find stuff that covers my knees besides sombrio.

right cut at the right PRICE! dont go overboard on the athetics. fit/function are most important here. proper fabric/material/cut is the most important, subtle is good, personally i like biking clothing with more of a "street" style. not all motocross/racer looking.

all pants must be gusseted in the crotch in some way. i like lowrise pants/shorts. but sombrio is the only company that i can sag and still arnt all bunched up in the crotch. lowrise/highcrotch=seller. this goes with fit.

chamoise is not important. if somebody wants one they can wear under. remember, simple, functional. that will lead to cheaper(than most), more popular.

if you want to "vent" just do zipper with mesh inside. ie. sombrio. again. simple is good. i dont want to pay all this exta $$$ for "lazer cut welded seam blah blah blah" for pants im going to trash. i mean it has its place. h-core AM xc whatever.

but really i want a simple, cheap short with a good CUT, durable material, vents would be nice extra.

when it comes down to it, cut/ventilation are the most important in my eye. screw colorcombo/fancy crap.

if you could make the "dickies shorts" simple/cheep. with the right cut. golden. breathable fabric, extra awesome. extra vents, pockets. titties
    !!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Tough, simple, comfy, cheap. That just sums it all, I think.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

CoolArrow

Make that a second vote for

DH Cargos. Yep.

I'd also reiterate that pads attached to the jersey would not be so hot, they would shift around too much during impacts.... I imagine riders fall a lot harder than paint ball participants...

and oh, yeah, the inexpensive thing would be keen as well

Company name? Website? Designs?......
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

should know better.....
    I'm gonna differ with many people here.
    My favorite all-time shirt is a Dainese "Freeride Gilet" jersey, which is a mesh shirt with zip off sleeves that have pads in them. Nice and light, so when you don't need full upper body armor, the pads are great. Beauty of them is the pads NEVER move. They can't slip down, because they are attached to the shoulders by the zips. After the ride, zip off the sleeves. I wear it for light riding or in conjunction with a sleeveless flack jacket for heavier stuff that I don't need full on DH level armor for. Nice and light, but I feel well protected.
    It is similar to this, but no shoulder pads:

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_op...5508&store=mtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Put a goggle pocket, lined with soft material, in your shorts.
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    +1 for Dh cargo pants

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    comfortable, breathable fabric. I don't know about you guys but my crotch will sweat up a storm on hot days. Vents in the right place can works wonders... You ever be riding fast and suddenly realize you're feeling airflow around your junk and crack? That's awesome.

I'll reiterate that if pads will shift, they're useless. I'd actually argue that pads themselves are useless, armor is where it's at. Not that there's not a market for padded clothing, lots of people like 'em. I just don't personally.

Design - I will also reiterate that we don't need crazy graphics and moto-style 'flair' - Just simple design, look, and regular colors.

And above all, if you can manage good quality fabrics, and an inexpensive price - you'd have a winner. The market is already saturated with scarily overpriced garments

mtbr member
    dickies type pants/shorts tear resistent but vents would be nice
    jerseys must be breathable, wearing a jersey when riding, you should feel as tho your not even wearing anything
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

beautiful jackass
    Two words: nipple ports.

I need fast and convenient access to my man nipples and no other company is addressing my needs. Cutting small holes in my jerseys causes them (the jerseys not my nipples) to wear out too fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

+1 Dainese "Freeride Gilet" jersey

Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    I'm gonna differ with many people here.
    My favorite all-time shirt is a Dainese "Freeride Gilet" jersey .... Nice and light ... the pads NEVER move.
    I'll form an alliance with Neverwalk on this item. The Dainese "Freeride Gilet" jersey is my favorite armor!

I'd kill for long cargo shorts with zip in knee pads. I have yet to find knee-shin pads that I like, and that don't slip down. Shorts with optional internal pad inserts would be nice. I will canabilize my D3O SESSIONs jersey to integrate the pads into light knee and shoulder amor.

Nov 2008
    hey thank you for all the feedback. im like the suggestion. im all about pricing. the lower the better(none of my tshirts are over 10 bucks). i like the whole vent idea. what about padding in the shin area on the pants?

ideas for now:
    -cargo dh pants full legth and 3/4( zipper in croch area with mesh)
    -jeresy that are very beathable and durable
    -of course very afforabla

my company name is TAN clothing and the website is be coming soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j-tan
    hey thank you for all the feedback. im like the suggestion. im all about pricing. the lower the better(none of my tshirts are over 10 bucks). i like the whole vent idea. what about padding in the shin area on the pants?

ideas for now:
    -cargo dh pants full legth and 3/4( zipper in croch area with mesh)
    -jeresy that are very beathable and durable
    -of course very afforabla

my company name is TAN clothing and the website is be coming soon.
    Padding on clothing is somewhat cumbersome and annoying...At least to me anyways.

SamIAm
    dont put any padding on the clothing. if anything just double up on the fabric or something to make the knees more tear resistant.

vent is important yes!

i got to say, jerseys shouldnt be a prioraty for you. just because they are all basically the same thing with different colorscombos/ sleeve lengths.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ya know what would be refreshing? actual sizing! it seems no one in the clothing industry follows the 1" = 1" theory makin fit more of a game of chance than a choice in size.

zip vents in those cargo pants would rock. so would dbl stitching at all seams, 2 layers at the seat, hips, knees and shins and not so baggy that they hook on yer saddle or get caught up at the ankle. if ya could work it out so it doesnt suck, maybe big ass snaps or magnets on the pockets rather than velcro?

best of luck on the project. lookin fwd to seein what ya come up with.
    No, I'm NOT back!

SamIAm
    magnets are the shiz!!!!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

oh Jolina!!!
    Cargo pants using ripstop fabric with high inseam so it doesn't hang up on the seat too often.

Either waterproof or quick dry fabric.

i dunno.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    DH cargo pants
    seconded,

Cargo pants and shorts. rip of bdu design from miliary. not made if cotton.

coldweather pants made of some sort schoeller fabric

nothin with pads, i like to keep my options open

Nov 2008
    right now im working with very breathable balstic nylon it strong and light. im using stronger nylon in key area(knees and shins). im using strechable and breathable frabic in between the legs so that way it will fig good and still be able to move around. when i get a few prototypes ill have some of the member on the forum test them out. im in socal so if you want to be a test pm me.

ready to ride

Good job!

Cool. Everythig sounds good.
    Someone said double stiching the seams. I like that idea.

looking forward to seeing how everything turns out!

Go SoCal!
    N* = <3 <3]

Members who have read this thread: 0