Clothing / Attire: Staying Fresh and Clean- Mtbr.com
    Bloody Bastard

Clothing / Attire: Staying Fresh and Clean

So I went out and purchased some authentic biking clothes for recreational riding and commuting, which consist of SPD shoes, biker shorts, a few jerseys and a new Giro helmet to replace my cheap Bell. Now I feel like a real "avid cyclist". So how often should I wash the shorts considering the crotch will be saturated with balls sweat? Or I'm I supposed to wear underwear with them? Seems weird.

I purchased a set of Pearl Izumi biker shorts and they were really expensive. I'm not sure I can afford to buy pair of shorts for each day of the week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hello Blu Falcon,
    Wash them every night to avoid crotch rot and don't wear underwear with your bike shorts. If you don't want to wash every night then scoop up some 20.00 bike shorts from Performance and wear regular shorts over them. Have fun!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have 5 sets of "bike boxers" that i wear under regular shorts. They get a weelky wash, so I wear a clean set each day. $25 per pair at REI.COM, but I pick tham up when they ar on sale. Usually 17.63 per pair. REI offer 205 off coupons frequently throughout the year, and if you are a member, you get a 10% rebate at the end of the year if you buy then offsale.

Bloody Bastard
    I've recently become a member or REI and often visit the store around the corner from my place. I've seen the bike boxer shorts you're referring to and have considered them. I'll give them a try and see how they work out. And I'll also look for less expensive biker shorts at Performance as well. I read somewhere, or maybe someone told me, to stay away from cheap bike shorts as they would be a waste of money since they wouldn't last, won't offer as much padding as more expensive shorts, etc., so I'll give it a try anyway. As always I can count on you guys for good advice and to save me from itchy balls.

Members who have read this thread: 0