Clothing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Clothing

Jul 2009

Clothing

MTBing apparel,I go with a tank and nike shorts..what is the normal gear??I see lots of jerseys,long and short sleeve.

since 4/10/2009
    I'd say most important is the shorts. Some with a really thick chamois can feel a bit like a diaper when walking around, but on the bike, are a different story. That chamois does a nice job at preventing chafing, especially with the lack of seams in critical areas. They also have the side benefit of offering a little bit of extra padding.

Baggies or lycra....whichever you prefer. I have and wear both depending on the situation. Shirts are less specific. I use a variety. Hot summers, I usually wear a cycling jersey because they usually ventilate best, especially with the zipper you can open or close depending on the situation. Spring and fall I usually wear a basic wicking tshirt. I don't need the ventilation so much, so a lack of a zipper is no biggie. The wicking part is very important, though. If it's colder, I have a long-sleeved wicking shirt to wear under a 100wt fleece vest. This usually works down to the 30's or so. I can open the vest if I get warm.

There's a lot you can wear, pick what works. I will say when my dad started riding years ago, he first rode in a cotton tshirt. We had to do a lot to stave off heat exhaustion that first summer ride because the cotton t didn't let the sweat evaporate off him. He promptly went and bought some synthetic tshirts afterwards, and never had a problem after that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would like to second the importance of a decent set of shorts. That single piece of equipment had the largest improvement in my riding experience. A good set of gloves with gel padding go a long way in the comfort department, too. I work with my hands and they're pretty calloused up so I never used to wear gloves. Tried 'em for the first time this year and I wont ride without them again.

Feb 2009
    I have been wearing typical cargo pants but have started to realize how restrictive they are particularly as I sweat they start to increase in binding. I just picked up soem Hoss shorts today with the chamois.. I can't wait to try them out as I'm hoping the padding will help. I've been getting numb feet despite changing seat height and sliding the seat back and forth on the rails.

How do I do that?
    Yes, definitely some shorts with a chamois/padding inside.

When I started riding about a few months ago, I basically bought a helmet, used my old fingerless workout gloves and rode on. As I got more and more into the sport and started riding everyday, I slowly but surely began to purchase various apparel for my daily rides.

Started off with a pair of baggy mountain shorts with a built in liner and that is by far the best purchase so far, second to the hydration pack for me. Followed with full finger gloves, various fast wicking sport shirts, Halo II headband to keep the sweet out of my eyes, several more pairs of shorts and liners. Basically enough to go about 6 days without having to do a wash

I thought the gloves were mainly for comfort but it's pretty much a big factor in safety as well. Since I developed a rather noticable tan line at my wrists, I decided to try riding with no gloves the other day but that lasted about 30 minutes. Once I got to the technical sections, I noticed how often my hands would slide off the gripes due to perspiration. Better to have a stupid tan line then falling off because my hands slipped off the bar

Definitely look into shorts for now and as you progress and spend more time riding, you may want to pick up more items

Rod
    mtbr member
    Like the others have said shorts are the most important. Basketball shorts work until you ride far enough that the seams will rub your leg raw. It's happened to me and I don't ride very far without my shorts. Like the others have said a synthetic shirt that wicks will work. They have these at wal-mart and I wore them in the summer when I first started riding until I found some jerseys on sale.

AZ
    banned
    Baggies over cycling shorts w/ chamois . synthetic shirt/jersey.

Singletrack Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo74
    MTBing apparel,I go with a tank and nike shorts..what is the normal gear??I see lots of jerseys,long and short sleeve.
    First should be the shorts. Something cycling specific (with a chamois). Can be either lycra or baggie. I prefer lycra because (1) nothing to get caught on your seat when you're moving around and (2) double duty with road bike. Remember that you don't wear underwear with cycling shorts!

Next, look at eliminating all cotton from your cycling wardrobe. Get a wicking shirt and socks. The nice thing about cycling jerseys is that they usually have a zipper to control the ventilation, and they often have pockets in the back where you can stash a spare tube and snacks that don't fit in your seat pack.

Cycling socks seem like an unnecessary luxury until you try them. Really, any running socks or "non-cotton" socks will work. Your feet will thank you when they are not all clammy and sweaty.

Also, I never ride without some kind of glasses. This is a safety thing. Don't want a branch poking you in the eye. When it is overcast or gray I will wear clear lenses.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    I thought the gloves were mainly for comfort but it's pretty much a big factor in safety as well.
    Yep. I took a spill the other day and ended up with both of my hands flat on the ground taking the beating. Without the gloves, I would have gotten scraped up pretty good and it would have been a painful ride home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin G
    Cycling socks seem like an unnecessary luxury until you try them.
    No kidding. My LBS gave me a pair to try and what a difference. My feet stay a lot cooler now and they seem to dry out a TON faster after river crossings. Running socks are just too thick.....and cotton.

mtbr member
    I wear biking shorts underneath running shorts. I tried riding in longer baggy cargo short that were made from light weight material and though they were not hot the biggest issue I had was that while riding the opening of the leg hole on the shorts would get hooked around my knee as I was pedaling and it was really annoying. So I started looking for some short shorts and found some Starter brand running shorts that are short, very light, well ventilated, but still look alright. So I picked up a few pairs and they work great.

Shirt, I have some wicking shirts but sometimes I will just wear a plain white undershirt. Something really light weight.

Socks, I wear wicking socks. They have a nice padded sole but the tops are really thin and they are nice and comfy.

Gloves, mandatory in my book. I wear full fingered but it really is a preference thing between fingers and no fingers. I like the little extra protection.

Helmet, that's a no brainer.

Glasses, sometimes, sometimes not. I know I should wear them all the time. I just need to get some that are clear or lightly tinted as the ones I have are dark and out in the woods it makes it like I am riding in the dark almost.

Thread Killer
    i wear triathlon shorts underneath some ol' cargo shorts. sometimes i'll bust out the compression shorts, in the event that my tri shorts are unavailable. as far as shirts go, i've never had an issue with just a plain ol' cotton T-shirt, but i do have one "cycling" shirt made by nike. it's a bit cooler and dryer than a cotton t, and i got it on sale for $15.

i use plain old low-cut socks, without any issues thus far. they're the same socks i use for running, playing hockey, skateboarding, etc. so, they're not any sort of "special" sock.

i had a pair of fox dirtpaw gloves, but i got some new grips and the dirtpaws built up a pressure point right on my ulnar nerve. so, now i'm rocking some craftsman ultra-touch gloves...light, breathable back with a mildly padded synthetic leather palm.

as far as shoes go, i wear running shoes. i've been told that skate shoes work, but i can never get them to, probably because i wear them out skateboarding...the sole gets worn smooth, so they can't grip the pedal as well. tbh, i've never had any foot slip issues with running shoes and my platform pedals, but i don't normally ride in torrential downpour or incredibly wet environments.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Jul 2009
    Replies have been fantastic guys,I picked up some wicking shirts at the local sports store,and are really interested in the HOSS shorts w chamois,mentioned earlier in the post.

Question 2....sweat in the eyes.I dont think I could fit a headband under the helmet,bandana maybe..?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a helmet with an adjustable knob on the back to tighten and loosen it. The halo headband is really thin and fit under it fine.

since 4/10/2009
    I've been there/done that with crashing without gloves. Absolutely shredded the palms of my hands. That's the reason I got gloves in the first place.

For socks, almost all mine are IMBA freebies. Get a free pair when you pay for a membership. Support the trails and get free socks. I used to have some Smartwool socks that were the same style, but my shoes wore them out in short order. They worked well, just not durable enough.

For sweat in the eyes, look at a buff (www.buffusa.com). I have a couple of these and they're a nice, versatile head covering. Super thin so you shouldn't even have to adjust you helmet to get it to fit (unless you're rocking a serious 'fro). You can soak it in water in summer to get the evaporative cooling effect, too. It's even enough to help with warmth in the winter for a bit. It helps protect my ears, which is a biggie.

My favorite baggies are Pearl Izumi Titan shorts. The liner is awesome (it's a very light one that breathes well with a very nice chamois). The shorts aren't super baggy, just loose enough to provide comfort. They're stretchy, too, to prevent binding up on you as you pedal. I like baggies for the extra protection they provide from trailside thorns (lots of that where I ride), and the pockets for little stuff. Sometimes I put my keys/wallet/cell phone in there to save space in my camelbak for something else.

I like 3/4 finger gloves personally. Full finger ones just make me hot in the summer. I've got a pair of Specialized BG gloves that I really like. Mesh on the palms in certain places for ventilation. Padding only where you need it. I used to rock the cheapie knit-backed gloves and they worked alright until they wore out. The padding was a bit much, though.

This Space For Rent
    Very good suggestions so far and I agree that good cycling shorts are a priority (second only to a helmet).

Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    as far as shoes go, i wear running shoes. i've been told that skate shoes work, but i can never get them to,
    Actually, a good pair of cycling-specific shoes are a great addition to your cycling gear and I'm suprised nobody has mentioned them yet. Even if you don't use clipless pedals, the stiff soles will give you the benefits of a more efficient pedal stroke. Any other shoe, including running shoes and skate shoes, are way too flexible and your feet will be doing a lot of work to transfer power directly to the pedal.

I know shoes can be a relatively expensive addition to your wardrobe, but they're well worth it, in my opinion. Besides, you only have to buy one pair of shoes.... not the same for shorts, shirts, socks, etc.
    -Brian

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsu1995
    Very good suggestions so far and I agree that good cycling shorts are a priority (second only to a helmet).

Actually, a good pair of cycling-specific shoes are a great addition to your cycling gear and I'm suprised nobody has mentioned them yet. Even if you don't use clipless pedals, the stiff soles will give you the benefits of a more efficient pedal stroke. Any other shoe, including running shoes and skate shoes, are way too flexible and your feet will be doing a lot of work to transfer power directly to the pedal.

I know shoes can be a relatively expensive addition to your wardrobe, but they're well worth it, in my opinion. Besides, you only have to buy one pair of shoes.... not the same for shorts, shirts, socks, etc.
    yeah, that's one of the things on my list...i like the cannondale soar shoes, i think they're called, but i can't seem to find any locally.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't consider shoes to be clothing (the OP's topic/question). If he asked about shoes, I'd have given some level of input (I have only had 2 pair of cycling shoes since 1999 so my experience is limited).

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo74
    Question 2....sweat in the eyes.I dont think I could fit a headband under the helmet,bandana maybe..?

As I mentioned earlier, I use the Halo II headband and although the helmut fits a little snugger, it definitely fits and never bothers me while I ride. This obviously all depends on how tight your helmet fits already. The only negative thing with the Halo that I can think of is the line across your forehead when you take it off. It seems to stay there for a while but almost always goes away when I take a shower, which is almost after every ride so it's not a big deal really

The prevention of stinging sweat getting into the eyes are pretty much a very important safety factor. Nothing worse then barreling down a hill and a drop rolls into your eyes inhibiting a clear view of the terrain

http://store.haloheadband.com/HALO_II_pullover_s/9.htm

This Space For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    I don't consider shoes to be clothing (the OP's topic/question). If he asked about shoes, I'd have given some level of input (I have only had 2 pair of cycling shoes since 1999 so my experience is limited).
    I'm sorry. I consider clothing as anything you wear that covers you; shirt, pants, shorts, shoes, socks, hats, gloves, etc. I guess my definition is a bit more general that everyones else's.

Oh well, my apologize to the OP for getting off topic.
    -Brian

Jul 2009
    Halo band looks like the ticket,cheap too,I like that.Shoes though,never really thought they were so integral.Ive been checkin out posts about clipless flats(I run)..guess I should look into so skate shoes.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    cycling or running socks. it's very hard to tell the diffence between the two. I'm talking real running socks not hanes type cotton ****. That is for walking around town in 'tennis' shoes. running socks seen here http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?p...&mode=products.

Typically lycra shorts favorite are PI attacks. I have one baggie shell (for park trips with the kids or cool weather type rides) that I wear with either it's liner or other lycra depenent on whats clean. I need a couple more pair. 6 pair of shorts is the current laundry driver.

I usually wear a jersey of some nature, but sometimes go with a wicking T or compression T especially if I have the camelback on since I can't easily access the pockets. of course different weights and lengths for the temps, with jackets vests and tights in the wardrobe as well.

The least sticky pair of gloves i can find. i have 3 fingerless, and one full gfinger in summer weight.

A Halo Bandana or a warmer head option is on all rides. Even when it's not too hot I like soI dont; have to deal with resizing my helmet, or helmet hair or sunburned scalp.

But if your just begining get gloves and shorts, then socks, and a halo type product. This is of course assuming you have wicking gym shirts already as most everyone does. Jerseys are just better but would be the last thing I bought if I already had a wicking shirts that worked. If you dont; have a wicking shirt I'd get that before the socks, which is more important than the halo. IMHO

Jul 2009
    how about underarmor?

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by FELT520
    how about underarmor?
    i've ridden with underarmor shirts...it seemed to work pretty well. maybe a bit less durable than i'd like, but if you got it, wear it.

mtbr member
    When you go glove shopping see if you can find a glove that has terry thumb backs that you can use to wipe your brow. My Cannondale mtb gloves have them and I love them. My road gloves do not and I will be replacing them soon as money allows.

mtbr member
    Also, shoes are a good topic that if you do a search on you will get a lot of info. Some folks have luck with whatever but i was not so lucky. I bought some 5.10 shoes (for sale now) and they worked great on platforms but I switched to clipless so I don't use them anymore but I always had foot pain/numbness until I started using proper cycling shoes with really stiff soles.

This Space For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    When you go glove shopping see if you can find a glove that has terry thumb backs that you can use to wipe your brow. My Cannondale mtb gloves have them and I love them. My road gloves do not and I will be replacing them soon as money allows.
    That's a great suggestion, but I think just about all cycling gloves nowadays have that feature.
    -Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I second the advice on shoes.

Also, when shopping for gloves look for a pair that have breathable fabric on the backs. This is especially important if you're buying full-fingered gloves.

mtbr member

Mine

661 Raji Gloves: Greenfish

Hoss Ponderosa shorts: LBS

Hoss Rustler shits: $10.99 right now at JensonUSA.com

Socks: Addidas or PI

Shoes: some cheap Time shoes. Waiting for a good deal on PI Alps Low or Enduro

Wear a Fox shirt on occasion. I have a GoLite Drimove Silk (1.6 ounces) shirt I wear hiking that I've used on really hot days riding. Paper thin though......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A bit too afraid of getting poison ivy on my forehead.

This Space For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPBOY
    Ummm... don't pick poison ivy with your gloves on...?

-Brian

mtbr member
    That's a great suggestion, but I think just about all cycling gloves nowadays have that feature.
    Actually my first pair of gloves, before I knew the feature even existed, did not have the absorbent thumb and that was just at the beginning of the summer. Now I wear those on my road bike since I don't sweat quite as much when on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPBOY
    I am HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy and I have ridden through some infested areas and got it on my legs but my face and forehead were unaffected.

This Space For Rent
    Actually my first pair of gloves, before I knew the feature even existed, did not have the absorbent thumb and that was just at the beginning of the summer. Now I wear those on my road bike since I don't sweat quite as much when on the road.
    Intresting. I just went glove shopping a couple weeks ago to replace my old FF gloves, and it seemed like every one I tried on had some sort of absorbant material on the back of the thumb.

I remember my first pair of fingerless gloves I bought back in 1992 had this feature, but it was not very common back then.
    -Brian

Feb 2009
    Hi folks,

I'm a noob reading this thread with great interest. I'm also a Fatwallet junkie, and I'm a real sucker for deals. I saw that there was a sale at nashbar.com ending this past Sunday, so I hurried to place an order for the following items:

Canari Ridge Jersey ($19.99)

Nashbar Liquicell Baggy Shorts ($24.99)

Nashbar Epic Gel Glove ($14.99)

Of course, I realized afterwards that when Monday rolled around and there was a new "sale" banner on the web page, that there is pretty much always a sale going on...

Wow Van-Go, that Hoss Rustler shirt looks really nice. Depending on how the jersey I ordered fits, I may return it and go with that. I'm a big guy who's not looking to draw attention to my figure, and that loose-fit shirt looks great. Thanks!

- Chris

Jul 2009
    Nice lookin out chrispitude,those shirts are my style for sure.
    Also found some motocross stuff at garage sale over the weekend,which included jerseys and armoured pants,not that ill wear the pants yet,unless I get interested in some DH stuff.Fox makes some decent MTB full fingered gloves,scott too.Kind of on the expensive side(25-40) but I tagged my knuckles a few times on trees so I need them.
    Last edited by yojimbo74; 08-12-2009 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Intresting. I just went glove shopping a couple weeks ago to replace my old FF gloves, and it seemed like every one I tried on had some sort of absorbant material on the back of the thumb.

I remember my first pair of fingerless gloves I bought back in 1992 had this feature, but it was not very common back then.
    The ones I am talking about are Troy Lee gloves. I bought them not knowing better and I didn't like them. I was going to take them back but never made it back to the store. I got my road bike and figured why not, they seem more like roadie gloves rather than mtb gloves anyways. They do all right on the road though I will probably start using my Cannondales on the road as well as my mtb just because they are more comfortable. I guess the Tony Lee gloves are more of a "race" glove so maybe that is why they don't have the absorbent thumb feature but I am not sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispitude
    Hi folks,

I'm a noob reading this thread with great interest. I'm also a Fatwallet junkie, and I'm a real sucker for deals. I saw that there was a sale at nashbar.com ending this past Sunday, so I hurried to place an order for the following items:

Canari Ridge Jersey ($19.99)

Nashbar Liquicell Baggy Shorts ($24.99)

Nashbar Epic Gel Glove ($14.99)

Of course, I realized afterwards that when Monday rolled around and there was a new "sale" banner on the web page, that there is pretty much always a sale going on...

Wow Van-Go, that Hoss Rustler shirt looks really nice. Depending on how the jersey I ordered fits, I may return it and go with that. I'm a big guy who's not looking to draw attention to my figure, and that loose-fit shirt looks great. Thanks!

- Chris
    You're welcome. Regarding Hoss Clothing:

Jersey's: I read many comments about them running large so I got a M (normally wear L) and it was too tight so I had to send back and re-order. I ended up getting 3 - $33 is the price of one (on sale at that) of other jerseys. Very happy with mine except one thing - no pocket on small of back.

Shorts: Read they ran small. I wear a L and got a L. Fit perfect. Guess I learned my lesson on the jerseys

Erik

Members who have read this thread: 0