Clipless in the summer flats in the winter ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Clipless in the summer flats in the winter ?

I have a problem keeping my feet warm in the winter. Instead of buying dedicated winter Clipless, I thought about buying flats with a decent pair of boots.. I really don't want to spend $200 for a decent pair of winter Clipless since I might not even use them 15 times a year.. Anyone go with flats in the winter and Clipless in the summer ?

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Just buy a decent pair of shoe covers.

mtbr member
    I did that, wore boots or 5.10 mids in the cold, worked great. My feet stayed nice and warm. Shoe covers weren't enough for me. Rode clipless the rest of the year, then I just want flats all year

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    this is what I do. I actually have Lake MX303 clipless winter shoes, but they still aren't warm enough under about 15 degrees. Shoe covers will take me to about 40 degrees, but I think they suck for mountain biking...they get ripped up in no time, plus it's super hard to adjust your shoes once they are on. I have 5-10 Impact High shoes, and they are even warmer than my clipless winter shoes...so that's my solution for anything under about 20 degrees, and when there's a good amount of snow on the trails that would pack up in my clipless pedals anyway.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
    I have a problem keeping my feet warm in the winter. Instead of buying dedicated winter Clipless, I thought about buying flats with a decent pair of boots.. I really don't want to spend $200 for a decent pair of winter Clipless since I might not even use them 15 times a year.. Anyone go with flats in the winter and Clipless in the summer ?
    That's a dangerous path you tread. I started out doing this. Then started using platform pedals year-round. Go figure. I just liked it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That's a dangerous path you tread. I started out doing this. Then started using platform pedals year-round. Go figure. I just liked it.
    Agreed! I started with flats, went to clipless transitioning to flats in the winter, and now I just ride flats - probably never going back to clipless. Flats is the way to go in my opinion, you don't cheat when trying to control your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went to clipless and rode them for over 10 years. Bought some flats to go to a bike park. When I came home I was too lazy to switch back right away. Once I rode my normal trails with flats, I was pissed at myself for ever going clipless.

They let you be lazy and use the attachment vs. good technique. Now I'm relearning the technique I lost after years of clipless.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    I do this too. Once the lifts close, I move my flats off my downhill bike. Except of course this "winter" where we've only had maybe one frost.

Shoe covers make it down to... well I don't really know since a single drop of water makes every set I've tried just about useless. They work ok on the road bike, that's it.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I have a couple of friends doing the same, they would switch but now just stick with flats. For me Im flats 100% of the time. My toe covers go inside my shoe so its not a problem with flats or having to hike a bike.