Clipless Shoes w/ Cleat Way Back?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Clipless Shoes w/ Cleat Way Back?

I've been on flats for the past year and want to go back to clipless for summer. My current clipless shoes are Teva's, and they are great shoes, except for the cleat position. I did drill out the plate and grind away a lot of sole to move the cleats back, but I don't feel like it's enough.

I'm looking for;

No boa or buckles. I don't want to bust something so give me laces, and maybe a velcro strap.

A cleat position that mimics the foot placement of flats.

A shoe that doesn't soak up water and dries quickly. I don't care about water repellence, I have goretex socks for that.

Good breathability.

Good for hike a bike. There are places we have to hike and scramble over rocks and dirt.

Good pedal interface with XT & XTR Trail pedals.

I am considering;

Specialized 2FO Clip lace

FiveTen Kestral Lace

FiveTen Hellcat and Pro

My LBS's don't have my size in stock so I can't really tell about the cleat placement, but they look promising. Any opinions on these, or other similar are appreciated.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Pretty sure my Shimano m200 have what would be considered a long channel. They are further back then the Giro teraduros I had. I moved my cleats all the way back and the position feels pretty close to flats. I would guess the new version of this shoe has similar cleat channels.

They are pretty awesome shoes as well. Has only one buckle.

The new version looks even better.

SH-ME7 - OFF-ROAD - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO

mtbr member
    I dremelled off some more sole and drilled the slots back some more on my Pivots and they are pretty good now. Still looking for my next shoes. I find most Shimano shoes too narrow.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post

I think that can can be somewhat preferential. I got the cleats on my Sidis pretty much exactly where I position my foot on flats, which is a similar placement that I've seen a lot of good riders use. A lot of shoes need to be modified a bit to get that position IME.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Just be aware that, with more shoe forward of the pivot (for release), more force will be needed to get out and there could be more interference with the crank arm. Not a factor with my XT Trails, but it was with a tight set of Times.

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I've been on flats for the past year and want to go back to clipless for summer. My current clipless shoes are Teva's, and they are great shoes, except for the cleat position. I did drill out the plate and grind away a lot of sole to move the cleats back, but I don't feel like it's enough.

I'm looking for;

No boa or buckles. I don't want to bust something so give me laces, and maybe a velcro strap.

A shoe that doesn't soak up water and dries quickly. I don't care about water repellence, I have goretex socks for that.

Good breathability.

Good for hike a bike. There are places we have to hike and scramble over rocks and dirt.

Good pedal interface with XT & XTR Trail pedals.

I am considering;

Specialized 2FO Clip lace

FiveTen Kestral Lace

FiveTen Hellcat and Pro

My LBS's don't have my size in stock so I can't really tell about the cleat placement, but they look promising. Any opinions on these, or other similar are appreciated.
    Those are four good picks. The downside to all of them will be breathability. Not a strong point of any of the four. I would say the Hellcat (standard) will be the best for walking because it’s not as stiff as the others. If you can find any, the discontinued Five Ten Maltese Falcon might be perfect for what you are looking for. Walkable, breathable and the cleat can be mounted pretty far back.

mtbr member
    Don't do it TB!! o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Eff five ten. Their rubber is straight awesome but my last several pairs of their shoes just fall apart and delaminate WAY before a normal life span. For what they charge ,I'm done with fiveten. That leaves the specialized. In general I find most of their accessories well thought out and we'll made.

On the topic of breaking shoes, I prefer big thick Velcro straps. Easier to adjust, and last longer than laces. Plus I can leave my toebox loose and cinch the over the arch strap, for example, really easily. Don't like buckles either, but unfortunately my current favorite "trail" shoe have them.

Which leads me to shimano. Their shoes are cheap, well made, breath/dry really well, and fit great. Right now I'm sold on their torbal system. It's legit. Allows the heal to flex/twist independently of the front of the foot mimicking flats well yet has a stiffer platform which I like. Decent to walk in too. Plenty of space to move the cleats way back. More than any shoe I've used, and more than any body would need.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I rode flats for four years before recently switching to clips. I'm super stoked onmy Giro Terradurros

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I love my Specialized 2fo clipless.... They are built burly and have taken a lot more miles than any other comparable model for me.
    Lots of room to choose where to mount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This thread is old, but still relevant. I had the same issue when looking for a new shoe recently to replace my 4 year old PI enduro. Most shoes have holes about 11cm back of the toe but many have cleat channels that go back about 2 cm more (13cm). Generally these are the ones marketed as 'enduro' type shoes like the ones listed above. Also, Scott Prowl (which I own), Northwave Spider or Enduro, Shimano AM7 (which I own), Shimano ME7, Giro Chamber, and PI (X-alp varieties). What I like about shoes in these categories as well is they have less toe pitch (forefoot is flatter rather than concave). There are a lot of shoes I would have liked to buy but I run my cleats about 12-12.5cm back and that eliminates 90% of shoes, unless you do some modifications. I also agree that finding good ventilation is a challenge. I ride in temps from 35 to 100 degrees and it really irks me how many brands have done away with good ventilation/mesh.