Clipless shoes for very narrow feet? I can't be alone!- Mtbr.com
    Always in the wrong gear

Clipless shoes for very narrow feet? I can't be alone!

So, it's time for new riding shoes, (christmas ideas?) and I'm trying to finally get it 'right' instead of making it work- I have stupid narrow feet. Like A or AA width. I have worn women's running shoes and hiking boots in the past and some fit, most don't have the right arch, and a too-narrow heel cup. Most bike shops have a very limited selection of women shoes that don't have pink on them. Trying them on is sketchy endeavor at best.

My feet aren't exceptionally big, I wear a 9-ish (43 eu), but are water-ski narrow. In the past I've tried Northwave, Sidi and Shimano shoes, and just added in extra insoles, or worn thicker (2 pair?) of socks. The Sidi Genius road shoes probably fit the best, but they were also 1/2 size small, and often rubbed my little toe. I traded one problem for another. My current Shimano M162's fit alright with 2 insoles, and the velcro/ratchet strap all the way tight, but after only 18 months it's destroyed the tongue and ratchet strap from being cinched to max. The Northwaves were very basic and frankly didn't fit good from day one, and fell apart after less than a year. Maybe the more expensive ones are better?

I'm over it and seeking the collective input of MTBR.
    I'm not too picky, but I do have some preferences:
    1) "narrow" width specifically, rather than just 'run narrow for standard'. I'm honestly not sure such a thing exists. Again, I won't rule out women's shoes if they 'look' like men's.
    2) I'm open to colors, but don't love the idea of neon anything. I ain't got that kind of swagger for glossy flame-orange or highlighter yellow Sidis,
    I'm also not into the 'subdued hiking-boot look'. I actually kind of like the 'typical clipless mtb shoe' look. They're bike shoes, let's not pretend they're anything but. Especially when you're already wearing bibs and a jersey in public
    3) I can't spend a pile of money. looking for under $150, if possible.

Half-width feet riders unite!
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    My 15 yo daughter has the same "problem" as you do: she wears shoe 10.5 with extra narrow feet. Based on my experience, some Specialized shoes have good offers in this category, but 3 years ago, I took a chance and ordered a pair of chinese SideBike mtb shoes. To date, they are the narrowest shoes I've seen. They are light-weight, don't cost much and they've been reliable.

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Athleti...mGtsukNwITXDfw

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Specialized Rime.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sidi used to run narrow and came in two widths. Not sure about their new stuff.

mtbr member
    I have somewhat narrow feet considering they are size 12 and many MTB shoes don't fit me either. I'm not aware of any companies that have an actual narrow width specifically. I am currently alternating between 5.10 Kestrels and Mavic Crossmax XL shoes as I tried on probably a dozen different shoes and these fit me the best, while also having a grippy rubber sole which many MTB shoes still lack, but is getting better.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't know, I look at most clipless shoes and I can't figure out how they were NOT designed for elfs...

I mean seriously, who's foot is shaped like this?:

Clipless shoes for very narrow feet? I can't be alone!-time-iclic-pedal-interbike09-01.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I don't know, I look at most clipless shoes and I can't figure out how they were NOT designed for elfs...
    ....and yet, with virtually every shoe Ive ever owned, I can fit at least an extra toe in beside my foot, oftentimes I could fit my thumb comfortably inside the shoe in next to my foot
    Not everyone has Fred Flintstone feet.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Iím intrigued by the Specialized shoes and the ďSpecialized knock-off SideBike shoes. Not overly in love with a Boa closure, but Iíll deal with it for the right fit. The Sidi road shoes I had were pretty good, maybe Iíll watch for those on sale.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Always in the wrong gear
    2 months later. My Shimano M162's are literally falling apart, and I'm tired of super gluing.

Anyone have any other input?

mtbr member
    I have no suggestion on shoes but do have some on glue. I've repaired shoes using Aquaseal, the same stuff CX racers on the cotton sidewall of tubular tires. It's tough and flexible, unlike superglue which is hard and brittle. Shoe Goo can work too, though I like to thin it with some solvent first.
    Do the math.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes. Specialized Rime. I have narrow, low volume feet as well.

L1MEY
    Sidi shoes are narrow. Hopefully they have some models that don't look like a box of crayons puked on them

I'm not a fan of pink either and have been known to colour the pink bits in with a permanent marker on occasion if I like everything else about a product.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Yes. Specialized Rime. I have narrow, low volume feet as well.
    I should just let you dress me based on what you own. Aside from being a few inches taller than me, we're essentially the same odd-ball proportions. We met in person when I bought your Bell Super2 helmet a while back. We apparently both have a child-like headsize, and waterski feet.

I also know you're very particular about your gear, so if you say they fit, I'll take your word for it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sorry we share oddball proportions. I really like Rimes. I like my Cliplites and ME7s more, but neither fits as nice as the Rimes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Narrow shoes

Try Giro Code VR70s. Very narrow, run a euro size small, it is a great light carbon shoe with sticky vibram rubber. Artscyclery has them for less than $100 shipped. They rock!

mtbr member
    You might give a try to Giro VR90 or other laced shoes. It is much easier to achieve a custom fit with laces. I got a pair just a week ago and they fit like a glove, best fitting shoes I ever owned.

Laces are easy and very quick to adjust, and you never seem to need to touch them while riding. Spendy but you can find them on sale for $150-200.

They are very light but also (according to reviews) very sturdy.

Clipless shoes for very narrow feet? I can't be alone!-img_0832.jpg
    Last edited by Davide; 02-24-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Always in the wrong gear
    Funny you mention Giros. I was actually getting ready to mount cleats to my new VR70s that came in the mail yesterday. $95 at Artís Cyclery.
    Clipless shoes for very narrow feet? I can't be alone!-f8968ea5-97e2-4c00-bfe9-1898f22c629a.jpg
    These 70s still had to have an extra (fairly thick) insole added on top of the standard insole, but they fit at least as well as the Sidi road shoes I used to have. I just canít afford Sidis.

Iím excited to try them tomorrow, Iíve never ridden a carbon-soled shoe. Or on dirt with one that fits so well.