Clipless shoes in size 16?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

New question here. Clipless shoes in size 16?

Since I'm on this whole "new stuff" kick, I've gotta' ask if there is a manufacturer that makes clipless shoes in a size 16 (american!)? I ride platforms, with skating shoes, but I wouldn't mind having the option of going clipless in the future. Any ideas? Or am I up SH*T creek on this one!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've got a pair of Northwaves in size 50 that are alittle too big for my 15's. Sidi makes upto size 52, which I believe is about 16.5

Feb 2005

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjonesphoto
    I've got a pair of Northwaves in size 50 that are alittle too big for my 15's. Sidi makes upto size 52, which I believe is about 16.5
    That would be perfect, I actually wear a 16.5, but often have to squeeze into a 16, or go big with a 17(weightlifting shoes, running shoes, work boots, etc..)--and if you're sayin' that a 15 feels big to you, that's a good sign. Is the northwave a good shoe to check out? I've never thought about clipless, so I'm not too familar with what is good or bad, as far as function or feel. Although I suppose there will only be a limited number of options anyway!! Thanks for the info. brother.
    -Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

sidi is your shoe

6'8", 230lbs, size fifteen shoe here. I agree with the other people who have posted in regards to the Sidi shoes. I am planning purchasing a pair soon in a size 50 which equals a 15. They go up to 52 in some models.

Take a look at the Time Atac Control Z pedals to go along with the shoes. I have a pair of these pedals and they are great and they work well in the mud. Nice big platform for our big feet.

bigE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigE
    Take a look at the Time Atac Control Z pedals to go along with the shoes. I have a pair of these pedals and they are great and they work well in the mud. Nice big platform for our big feet.
    You want a big (wide) platform, check out Eggbeaters or one of the other Crank Bros pedals (like Mallets). I wear size 48 shoes (14, sometimes 15 in street shoes), and I much prefer my Candy's than the Time ATACs that I had before. I often felt like my foot was rolling to the outside with the Times. I know the Time Z pedals has the platform but when you're clipped in it really isn't supposed to be what's supporting your shoe, it's there to offer support for when you aren't clipped in. Compare the width of the Eggs and the Times from crank to end of clip for a good idea which will offer better support for big feet. The Egg line of pedals is wide enough that I've read abt at least one XC pro racer who has custom ones with a shorter spindle for his more 'normal' feet.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

Feb 2005

New question here. What about walking?

Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    You want a big (wide) platform, check out Eggbeaters or one of the other Crank Bros pedals (like Mallets). I wear size 48 shoes (14, sometimes 15 in street shoes), and I much prefer my Candy's than the Time ATACs that I had before. I often felt like my foot was rolling to the outside with the Times. I know the Time Z pedals has the platform but when you're clipped in it really isn't supposed to be what's supporting your shoe, it's there to offer support for when you aren't clipped in. Compare the width of the Eggs and the Times from crank to end of clip for a good idea which will offer better support for big feet. The Egg line of pedals is wide enough that I've read abt at least one XC pro racer who has custom ones with a shorter spindle for his more 'normal' feet.
    I've seen both pedals (ATAC's and Eggs) and the Eggs definitely appeared wider; a good thing, b/c I'm used to riding wide platforms--UNO's now, and Triple Traps years ago. Here's one more question for you guys: how do these shoes feel when you're off the bike? Can you hike with them if you have to heave-ho up an embankment? They just look stiff as all hell.
    -Jim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sidi

From the information above, I suspect the SIDI size 52 are your best bet. The SIDI Dominator comes in normal width and mega (wide) width. I have size 50 SIDI's and Lake MX 101 shoes. I have tried on once a pair of Northwave size 50 road shoes. They were too big for me. There can be a lot of variation in big size shoes. It may be worth trying a pair of Northwave's on if you can find them. The SIDI Dominator are not the best shoes for walking in. I replaced the inner sole and it did help a bit. The problem is the heel of the shoe is very narrow. They are an absolutely super riding shoe, and although expensive, good value for money because they last a long time.

Here are some links for big shoes.

http://www.sidiusa.com/mtbs/index.html

http://www.lakecycling.com/trail.html (MX 101)

http://www.diadora.com/ (Geko size 50)

http://www.trialtir-usa.com/2005-nor...-perf-main.htm

President, CEO of Earth

Also wide

Sidis also come in the Mega width which, in my experience, is wiiidddeee!!! So wide. I had to send mine back and get the regular, even though I don't have narrow feet. They have a reputation for being narrow, but I don't think Sidi expects someone with size 16 feet to have the same dainty proportions and narrow feet as a guy who wears size 7 (freaks)
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member

Diadora

I wear a 16 athletic shoe but my dress shoes are often a 15. I have pair of diadora Gekos in size 50 that fit great. They aren't nearly as much as the Sidi. I use shimano pedals and I haven't had a problem yet.
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    Sidis also come in the Mega width which, in my experience, is wiiidddeee!!! So wide. I had to send mine back and get the regular, even though I don't have narrow feet. They have a reputation for being narrow, but I don't think Sidi expects someone with size 16 feet to have the same dainty proportions and narrow feet as a guy who wears size 7 (freaks)
    Wider will always be better for me. I wear a 16-17 EEE-EEEE dependent upon the shoe; ie. work boot, dress shoe, basketball shoe, etc. So the fact that they may be too wide for some means they may be just about right for me. Of course the only way to find out will be a little trial and error...damn' gunboats!!

President, CEO of Earth

My sidi info

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimsixten
    Wider will always be better for me. I wear a 16-17 EEE-EEEE dependent upon the shoe; ie. work boot, dress shoe, basketball shoe, etc. So the fact that they may be too wide for some means they may be just about right for me. Of course the only way to find out will be a little trial and error...damn' gunboats!!
    Yeah, when I ordered them in to the shop where I was working I was depressed all weekend before I could call back and see if I could return them to the distributor. I've never had that sad feeling before: My shoes were too big!!! FWIW I take a 49, and the shoes I got are the Genius 4 (road brother to the Dominator). The 49 mega was the one I sent back and the 49 non-mega is fine for my (I guess) normal width feet even if I wear a slightly thick sock. No Nipigon nylons, but thats not what they are for.

You should probably get the size off your snuggest (least loose) pair of shoes and order the corresponding euro size in the mega width. They'll fit nice. You'll see.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Feb 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    Yeah, when I ordered them in to the shop where I was working I was depressed all weekend before I could call back and see if I could return them to the distributor. I've never had that sad feeling before: My shoes were too big!!! FWIW I take a 49, and the shoes I got are the Genius 4 (road brother to the Dominator). The 49 mega was the one I sent back and the 49 non-mega is fine for my (I guess) normal width feet even if I wear a slightly thick sock. No Nipigon nylons, but thats not what they are for.

You should probably get the size off your snuggest (least loose) pair of shoes and order the corresponding euro size in the mega width. They'll fit nice. You'll see.
    Right on. I've run into a little extra $ (i.e. sold some old crap I never used!), so I'm now at the "let's scour the internet for the best deal" stage, and knowing what size to order--or at least having a good idea from someone with previous experience dealing with bike shoes and big a*s feet--will definitely make the process a touch less painful! Thanks brother.
    -Jim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Check the returns policy carefully when online shopping. If they don't fit you can send them back and get another size.

BTW I got my pair of SIDI Dominator 4 from speedgoat.com for $140. However their returns policy is not that great if they don't fit (it costs you 15% to cover postage and credit card charges).

Good luck!