Clipless shoes for hiking with bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Clipless shoes for hiking with bike

I have normal mtb shoes with a carbon sole and while they are good for biking, they are
    not so good for hiking with the bike up long hills.

So I was thinking of buying something like this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k68...ing-shoes.html
    or this
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k68...ure-shoes.html

Shimano also has bigger hiking boots, but I think they are too heavy for my use.

Any other suggestions?
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
    by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
    - Seneca

mtbr member
    My Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro's were pretty comfy when I had to hike-a-bike but didn't hold up very well. Maybe the new version has addressed the ratchet problems? I would consider Izumi's again, but probably not with the ratchet system.

These were mine:
    http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...3192/21156?g=1

Check out their 2010 line if you are interested:
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?p...&mode=products

If I gave them another shot I'd probably go for the "Seeks" or "Drift"

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    My Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro's were pretty comfy when I had to hike-a-bike but didn't hold up very well. Maybe the new version has addressed the ratchet problems? I would consider Izumi's again, but probably not with the ratchet system.
    What wore out on yours?

I have been very happy with my X-Alps. Comfortable to walk and ride in and no problems after 2 years. I will buy them again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    What wore out on yours?

I have been very happy with my X-Alps. Comfortable to walk and ride in and no problems after 2 years. I will buy them again.
    I tore a hole through the side after a few crashes... but I'll take the blame on that ... not holding it against them.

But the screw that holds the ratchet mechanism in place tore out of the threads on my right shoe. I read of a few other people that had the same issue. The problem is the thread is attached to the molded plastic piece. LBS told me to contact Pearl... Pearl happily sent me a new ratchet mechanism, but I went all over town trying to find a cobbler or leather repair place that could do the repair and nobody could.

My fix:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...1&postcount=18

I'll be surprised if they make it through a 2nd season of riding. Maybe I'm just hard on shoes though?

Permanent Noob
    I'd only recommend something with a rubber sole more like a street shoe than a hard rubber or plastic sole. Makes for much better traction on the rocks going up.

mtbr member
    Keen makes the most comfortable hiking boots I've ever tried. I have yet to see these in person so I don't know how bulky/heavy they are but my past experiences with Keen are awesome.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/ss10/shoes/men/pedal/springwater/grey!%20keen%20yellow

Old man on a bike
    Also take a look at the various Lake shoes with Vibram soles, nice for the hike a bike sections.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

EDR
    Lake MX165's for me. Went with those for the same reason you are looking to change, hike-a-bike. My Specialized BG Comps were great for riding but dangerous and uncomfortable when hiking up a rock face.

The Lakes are heavy in comparison but are well built and have a Vibram sole, and are plenty stiff for all day rides.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This is what I'm using:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/186...-Shoe-2010.htm

Stiff but with a rubber overmold so you aren't slipping around on the rocks.

I was using Diadora Raptors which were constructed the same in the sole but a little less stiff and a little better around the ankle but things wear out eventually.

On wuss patrol

I'm trying these lately

Specialized BG Tahoe. $80 list. A bit heavy but great for walking. The laces tuck into an elastic band on the tongue. I like 'em.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Permanent Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412

Specialized BG Tahoe. $80 list. A bit heavy but great for walking. The laces tuck into an elastic band on the tongue. I like 'em.
    +1

Have an older set that treat me well, especially since there's times I seem to hike more than bike!

mtbr member
    I have the Shimano MT-60 from your second link, they are quite comfortable and have lots of traction for hiking the bike up the 4th mountain pass of the day.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem is that I won't buy any shoes without trying them first and the stores around here only have Shimano in for those kind of shoes.

The Pearl Izumi could be an option, just the colour combination is not very nice imho.
    - Seneca

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrisulfur
    The Pearl Izumi could be an option, just the colour combination is not very nice imho.
    Just throw some bar ends on your riser bars or install some reflectors and nobody will ever notice the shoes.

EDR
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The problem is that I won't buy any shoes without trying them first and the stores around here only have Shimano in for those kind of shoes.
    Well then, I guess you are buying Shimano shoes. Perhaps a better title would have been, "What Shimano shoes are best for hike-a-biking?"

Many online shoe places will let you return shoes, sure you'll have to pay return shipping in most cases, (Zappo's exlcuded...maybe, can't remember) but if there is a shoe your really really want to try then it might be worth the 10 dollar risk. I did that with my Lakes. Not knowing there sizing I ordered two pair and returned the one that was too big. Just an idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Well then, I guess you are buying Shimano shoes. Perhaps a better title would have been, "What Shimano shoes are best for hike-a-biking?"

Many online shoe places will let you return shoes, sure you'll have to pay return shipping in most cases, (Zappo's exlcuded...maybe, can't remember) but if there is a shoe your really really want to try then it might be worth the 10 dollar risk. I did that with my Lakes. Not knowing there sizing I ordered two pair and returned the one that was too big. Just an idea.
    There are some that carry Pearl Izumi, but very few.

I might try to order different sizes, but I'm not sure it's possible with the internet shops I deal with.
    - Seneca

Members who have read this thread: 0