Clipless shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Clipless shoes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Clipless shoes

For now Im using platform petals and will for a bit longer. I am curious though, if I should invest in a pair of clipless shoes to use while still using the platforms. Is this possible and if so what shoe would you recommend. Then later I would only have to purchase the clipless petals. Fact is, Im wanting to purchase a pair of shoes for riding and thought why not go ahead and get the clipless for now, if that would work.
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    I ride with flat pedals and toe clips and I wear clipless shoes. One nice thing is that they have stiff sole inserts so that they don't flex like a regular shoe, and therefore your pedal strokes are more efficient (ie-no energy lost in the shoe/your foot flexing). I'm going to upgrade to clipless soon though, and it's nice to just have to buy the pedals, and not worry about getting pedals and shoes. One problem that I have had, and it's probably just the design of the shoe that I have and how my clips hit them, is that after about an hour, I get some numbness/tingling in my left foot, which I think is a function of where the clip strap hits the straps of the shoe along the side of my foot and affects the circulation...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Buy the shoes when you buy the pedals unless you really find a good deal on the shoes before.

~Disc~Golf~
    clipless shoes don't work well on platforms - there is no traction
    Honestly... ahh I give up

AZ
    banned
    One tip that I rarely see mentioned , buy your shoes in the afternoon , after your feet swell up to get the best fit possible . That is asuming that your not buying online . If your buying online , good luck .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That is a good tip. I did not know that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    clipless shoes don't work well on platforms - there is no traction
    exactly

I couldnt imagine trying to wear clipless shoes with platform pedals... Even wearing running shoes made my shins looked like a rabid cat attacked me..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    One tip that I rarely see mentioned , buy your shoes in the afternoon , after your feet swell up to get the best fit possible . That is asuming that your not buying online . If your buying online , good luck .
    Never thought of that before. But it does make sense.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought a pair of Sette's clipless shoes online and the sizing was perfect. I also ordered a set of Crank Bros Candy C pedals which have a small platform you can pedal or clip in.

mtbr member
    My experience has been favorable, but I'm sure it could depend on which shoes and pedals. In my case the Wellgo MG-1 and Shimano MT32.

My original pedals didn't like my Adidas shoes so I swapped on the Wellgos. My pedal traction got worse. Since I plan to upgrade to spd in the near future I went ahead and bought the shoes. The grip, and like was mentioned above, the stiff sole work very well with the Wellgo pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0