clipless shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: clipless shoes

Mar 2007

clipless shoes

ok, so i am in need of a new set of shoes. im having a serious problem finding clipless shoes in my size that i like. i loved the nike kato models, but the discontinued the line. im a 12.5-13 US and im looking for a a semi cheap, comfortable shoe. ive got a pair of BG taho's from special-ed. im in the market for something a little racier, with out laces.

what do you other big footed guys use?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Lake makes some decent shoes in larger sizes for decent prices.

Making fat cool since '71
    I have Lake (302's for wet/winter; size 48), Sidi Dominators (size 48) for warm/xc, and Adidas El Moro (size 47) as a back-up pair/junkers as far as clipless goes. I have a "13.5" or 48/49 length, but it's not thick (sole to top) and "normal" width. The Lakes and Sidis are super comfy and nice. The Adidas are a bit snug, length wise but not too bad.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Addidas Marathon's. I run a 12.5-13 and got a 48mm sized shoe i think. I'' edit when I cehck them for sure. I really like the feel. If you have wide feet though, you should really try them on. My feet arn't narrow, and arn't wide, The Marathon's fit a little small mid foot for me though.

don't thread on me

New Shimano's fit great

I am a size 12 to 13 wide depending on brand. I just bought a pair of Shimano M41G shoes in a size 48 and they fit GREAT. First time out they felt like they were already broken in. I like the style and look of them as well.
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykar
    ok,
    what do you other big footed guys use?
    well i've got a bit bigger of a problem (i've got size 17), with your size of a foot i wouldn't get stuck on which color or name brand but i'd say lake, but with sidi the dominator have been known to have parts of it start to come unglued.

turtles make me hot
    I use Specialized BG Sports. I wear a 13 regular shoe, but these run a little small, so I have them in 14 or 48. Great shoe under 100 bucks.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have been looking for some biking specific shoes without clips. Seems none of my shoes really get the job done well. I take a size 15, anyone know of shoes that come that large for mountain biking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight369
    I have been looking for some biking specific shoes without clips. Seems none of my shoes really get the job done well. I take a size 15, anyone know of shoes that come that large for mountain biking?
    so are you saying you want those shoes that are really sticky or trail shoes with clips or what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, I do not like the concept of clips, because I have heard horror stories of people not being able to bail out. My mom worked at a hospital and one guy came in with gravel embedded in his face and it was all do to him not being able to bail out in time. I know they are more efficient because you get the upstroke power too, but I like to be able to throw my feet to the ground if I need to.

I am curious about any type of shoe that would be beneficial for mountain bike, or even just leisurely biking, but doesn't lock you into the pedal. Its hard having a size 15, because that usually means the shoe is a bit too wide. I have some fair large platforms on my bike now, but I end up wearing a pair of nike cortez which is the most narrow pair of shoes I own. I am sure the grips leave some to desire.

I know long ago, I had shoes specific for bmx biking and they were pretty awesome. Just wondering what is available, if anything, in large sizes for us giants.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    anything in our size meaning clipless?

and your mom might of had a guy with cages and not clipless, with the cages your going with your bike. and with shimano pedals you can have the pedals loose so if you do crash they can come undone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anything that doesn't physically attach me to the pedal in some way.

I have rode with someone who had clipped into the pedals. He had a hard time getting them undone quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was reading up on clipless, and maybe they aren't so bad. I thought clipless pedals were clip pedals. Weird how they name them, but I understand the concept as to why.

mtbr member
    I've been biking off and on for about 7 years, and just recently went to clipless pedals on my road bike...and MAN...I feel like a dumbass for not making the change sooner. They are super easy to just twist out your shoes out of the clip when stopping. On the road bike, you pretty much know when you're going to unclip...so it's not a big deal....I haven't fallen once.

I've always mtb with cages, and it bothers me that every now and then the cages break...so I decided to go clipless there too...despite being petrified. The type of pedals I got are Forte something...and you can have the setting changed to be loose or tight. The loose fit on my shoes are awesome...they hold you to the pedal, and naturally let go when you twist your foot off.

My first ride was a fairly technical trail, and I only fell over once due to not being able to clip out...and it didn't hurt at all. Since then (and even on that ride), I've gotten much more used to staying clipped in, and it's just awesome compared to cages or nothing. I rode with platform pedals and my feet were always slipping off the pedal and stuff on hard grinds.

I bought some $70 shoes that you can walk around fine in with laces, just because they felt better than the velcro hard ones. But that's just me. Definitely get clipless asap...you won't regret it!

X

Members who have read this thread: 0