Clipless Shoe Sizing- Mtbr.com
    Bike Geek

Clipless Shoe Sizing

It's been been quite some time since i last used clipless shoes/pedals & after a couple of years on platforms, i'm ready to go back to clipless. I'm a little bit confused about sizing. I wear sizes 9-10 US for my everyday shoes & if i remember correctly, my last couple of mtb shoes from Shimano & Louis Garneau were both 44 EU. Euro sizing confuses me & every brand has their own conversion.

I've been reading & hearing different advice regarding fit. Some say the fit should be snug, without any movement. Some say i need a little space in the toe box area & i should be able to move my toes. What should i believe in? What should i look out for when fitting shoes? I will buy from my LBS so i can try some on 1st.

Oh, by the way, i have wide, flat feet so i usually buy my everyday shoes half to a full size bigger than my real size to avoid pinching in the middle/arch area. Should i do the same for mtb shoes?

JRA
    Well, if your going to the LBS, don't worry about the EU sizing, just buy a pair that fits.

For me there needs to be a little bit of space in the shoes. During exercise, particularly in hot weather, your feet can swell causing tight shoes to become real tight. Dunno about others, but I'm out riding for fun and generally expect my shoes not to cause pain. I'll ride when its cold out too and need a little bit of room for thicker socks.

That said, you don't want too loose of a fit so your feet are not moving around in the shoes during your pedal stroke.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

AZ
    banned
    Try on shoes late in the day after your feet have swelled for an accurate fit. If you use insoles don't forget to include those.

Bike Geek
    Thanks guys!

@BigRuckus, yeah, that's what i do even with everyday shoes. I think that's what i also did with my last couple of pairs of mtbiking/cycling shoes. I just read recently that cycling shoes should be snug which made me think if i was doing it right.

@AZ.MTNS, i also do that too if time permits. I use stock insoles, no special ones.

I guess it's safer to go with what i know & that's getting a pair with a little room in the toe area. I'm a little bit worried about expansion of the uppers though. Leather expands, everyone knows that, but most shoes now are made of synthetic uppers so they react differently to wear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bike shoes are made to not to expand. Must try on in person. Sounds like you need a wide shoe. Some come in different widths.
    Must try on in person!