Clipless Platform Pedals & Shoes- Mtbr.com
    Calm like a Bomb

Clipless Platform Pedals & Shoes

So am thinking of ditching the egg beaters for something with some more platform. I dont have issues with CB's pedals so am considering the mallets or acids possibly

My questions is this, I plan to use my specialized MTB shoes which are your normal non BMX type shoe. So the bottom is more like a cleat not like a flat surface like on BMX type shoes

So will it matter at all if the platform pedals have traction pins or not?

here are my shoes

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride Acid's with Sidi dominator shoes and they're great. You're not going to want to ride around unclipped on them, but it's enough platform to use if you misclip and are going down something unclipped.

meow meow
    i would think no. i am in the same boat, think more along the lines of smarties though.

meow meow
    candies, excuse me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use mallets with a pair of shimano shoes, similar to those above. (that style of shoe). For some stuff I unclip and still have good grip, but on occasion when it gets super bumpy I end up clipped back in from bouncing around on the pedals. My guess is that the tread on the shoe doesn't make enough contact with the pins. I also wear DVS skate shoes on occasion and it works just fine, no slipping. The eggbeater in the middle is not really that noticeable.

I plan to ugrade to these myself. I hear only good things about them.http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...Bike+Shoe+2009

If you get mallets, I would recommend those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    CB candy SL's are sweet. easy access with just enough platform

Calm like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    I use mallets with a pair of shimano shoes, similar to those above. (that style of shoe). For some stuff I unclip and still have good grip, but on occasion when it gets super bumpy I end up clipped back in from bouncing around on the pedals. My guess is that the tread on the shoe doesn't make enough contact with the pins. I also wear DVS skate shoes on occasion and it works just fine, no slipping. The eggbeater in the middle is not really that noticeable.

I plan to ugrade to these myself. I hear only good things about them.http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...Bike+Shoe+2009

If you get mallets, I would recommend those.
    I would love to rock those but it gets wet and muddy here in the PNW so thinking they wouldn't take water and mud good and would get very heavy

mtbr member
    IMHO,for AM use,try a good platform like the Wellgo MG1 with Five Ten stealth sole shoes.A awesome combo,you will be surprised!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i recently bought a pair of wellgo WAM-d10s (shimano SPD style on one side, pins on the other) along w/ a pair of filter 661s. the setup is really cool, except for the slight knee discomfort i'm now getting (i've been riding SPDs since 1995 and never had knee issues before)...i've played around w/ the cleat position quite a bit, but still am not quite there yet.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I used Time Z pedals since they came out... over a decade ago? Used them with Northwave shoes and later with some Shimano cheapies. Worked great.

I'm rocking flats + 5.10s now though.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

Calm like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX
    IMHO,for AM use,try a good platform like the Wellgo MG1 with Five Ten stealth sole shoes.A awesome combo,you will be surprised!
    I rock the 5.10's on my DH bike and yea they stick like a mofo but I want to keep clip-less on my trail bike for the technical trails and climbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    so with those flat/spd shoes like the shimano ones posted, can you stand on the pedal unclipped and retain grip/control?

mtbr member
    More platform in Crank Brothers = Acids!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnorthro
    I ride Acid's with Sidi dominator shoes and they're great. You're not going to want to ride around unclipped on them, but it's enough platform to use if you misclip and are going down something unclipped.
    +1

Members who have read this thread: 0