which clipless pedals and shoes for clipless newb?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

which clipless pedals and shoes for clipless newb?

Sorry, I know this is covered to death....

I am considering clipless. I use to road bike with toe straps, so I am totally new to this world.
    Some considerations for me are:
    -Pedal still functions as a platform (I won't always be wearing the shoes)
    -Cheap!
    -Ez to use
    I have no idea when it comes to the shoes......

All help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

College Boy
    by not always wearing the shoes do you mean for trail riding or just casual riding. If it is for trail riding it will change to you will want the shoes that going for the combo stuff is not worth it. For just casual riding most clipless pedals have enough of a platform for you to be able to ride with no problem at all.
    For pedals I am a huge fan of the Shamino M520s. Shoes I would say go to some place like performance bike web sight and look for one of them on sell. I got a really good deal on my lake shoes that way.

as for the m520s. I ride to school all the time with just regular shoes on and not my clipless shoes but trail riding I will not do it with out my shoes and that is just be caus I am more comfortable being clipped in. I can ride with out them just I would not feel as comfortable pushing the limits.

Oh and do not just look for the cheapest pedals and shoes because you will live to regreat it. egg beaters and the Shaminos are really the best 2 types of pedals to start out on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yes, I am refering to not clipping in when riding around the block with my son, or to the store.

Double-metric mtb man
    The 520's are a nice, cheap starting point. They can be ridden in normal shoes, but won't have the platform for anything other than a casual ride to the store or such.

I started with the 520's and found them to be a good starter pedal, esp. with the tension all the way down so they were easy to get in and out of. Many LBS have them as new bike take-offs for dirt cheap.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Calm Like a Bomb
    i use crank brothers mallet m pedals...they have a platform and an eggbeater to clip into....they are easy enough to clip in and out of...plus they have a platform which works great for riding to the store with your son....i've even used regular shoes on the trails with them

mallet c's are basically the same things but a little cheaper
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I started clipless this year, and have just switched from 520's to Mallet M's. I find the latter to be smoother and more predictable upon clipping in / out so far, not to mention more stable, and importantly, they don't pop out when you land a drop. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't expect to stick with the 520's unless you aren't very demanding - try them if they come with your bike, or if you aren't sure about going clipless, but IMHO they aren't exactly benchmark quality pedals... either the tension is set low and they're easy to get out of but pop out regularly, or you can stay in them but have to crank your knees to get out... not ideal. The crank bros pedals are easy to get in/out of, but you can't pull out of them vertically and so far they haven't popped out once on me.

mtbr member
    Any of the pedals are pretty good now.SPD type a little less so in mud if that is a consideration. Try shoes on before you buy them! Make sure your looking at trail shoes and not racer shoes if you might ever have to walk in them. Most shoes will not stretch very much, how they feel new is how they will feel forever so make sure they're right. If you have to compromise at all, go for a looser fit and make up the difference with a thicker insole. It'll go so much better if a shop helps with the set-up, trial and error can be tedious when it comes to pedals/cleats. Oh, and dont be supprised if part of the tread on your new shoes needs to be cut away for clearance with the pedal, it's common practice.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Jun 2007
    I'm riding on CB smarty's. I love them. I can get in and out fairly well. I think your pick up on riding w/ clipless pretty easy since your riding w/ toe straps already. I was and took right to clipless. The only problem I have is when I get into a hurry to put my foot down and forget i'm stuck to my pedals.

As far as shoes go I was thinking of ordering online also but decided against it cause I really wanted someone who knew what they were doing to help me fit into a good right fiting pair. Most people will vary a half size in diffrant shoes. These shoes you don't want to be cramped into or have them too loose. A good inexpensive pair are shimano sports. At my LBS they were 80 and I know a few guys that ride the local trail who have these shoes and say good things about them. I can't complain yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Mallet C's look pretty good for my use.....

Thanks for the information so far!!

Calm Like a Bomb
    here's a decent price on them $54.77

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...07f7da7da02663
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

May 2007
    I got the shimano m520's off ebay for $25 shipped NIB. They are nice, I have the tension all the way down, that way if I am close to taking a spill, it's easy to get right out and get the foot down.

I have some cheap sette's shoes I got on price point...and they do the job just fine.

Its Tammy! 2 M's and a Y
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinmike
    The Mallet C's look pretty good for my use.....

Thanks for the information so far!!
    Like you, I didn't want to spend a whole lot on new pedals and shoes. So I got a pair of the Mallet C's. They work just fine for me. Its a little uncomfortable to be riding them while being unclipped, but if your just running a quick errand you should be fine. As for the shoes I purchased a cheap pair off of Price Point. Here are the shoes I got.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11770-285_SSOLS2-43-Brands-291-661/661-Launch-Shoes-'04.htm

Dunno if they have your size. But I chose these shoes cuz they were cheap and I wanted something I could walk in just in case I had to hike my bike. Let us know what you decide.

Expert Crasher
    I'm pretty happy with the Specialized Taho shoe. No trimming the tread to fit on my Crank Bros Candy pedals either.

I've used these shoes with the CB Candy's and the Shimano SPD style M424, works with both.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Mar 2007
    Also a clipless novice - very happy so far with Shimano M540 and MT40 shoes.

Bike to the Bone...
    Don't take it personal, but I really think those pedals are a great idea on something that won't work as advertised. Gravity makes the pedals to put the clip in part on top, so if you're not carefull, you might clip in accidentally. A friend tried those but he had some accidents because of it.

I think you should first decide on a system (SPD, Crank Bros, Time), and then buy a basic one and see how you like it.

PMBA Beer Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutGT
    I got the shimano m520's off ebay for $25 shipped NIB. They are nice, I have the tension all the way down, that way if I am close to taking a spill, it's easy to get right out and get the foot down.

I have some cheap sette's shoes I got on price point...and they do the job just fine.
    I did the same, except got the Shimano 540's instead.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +4 for the M520 - Have them on all the bikes- road and mountain. I you want even easier release use the multi-release cleats. You may pop out of the pedal more than with the standard cleats, but, for me, I have ridden 20+ years with toe clips and straps and having the foot fly off the pedal at times is a non-issue.
    I bike; therefore, I work

One-Winged Angel
    I just switched to the Shimano M520's two weeks ago... love 'em, and not a spill yet (not a clipped in one, at least, lol).

Can't believe I waited this long to go clipless.

Sep 2006
    OK that's it, I'm going clipless.

Members who have read this thread: 0