Clipless pedals and shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Clipless pedals and shoes?

I am finally going to take the plunge and start using clipless pedals, but am looking for the best cost effective combination to suit me.

I do have a brand new pair of Shimano SPD pedals that came on my son's new Trek Fuel, and he does not want them so...

I am looking for a good suggestion for shoes that will not break the bank.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've got about 1000 miles on my Specialized Tahoes - good shoes, great price:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...ItemId=0&eid=0

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    best suggestions for shoes will be the ones with the stiffest soles that are the MOST comfortable....

Specialized fit me best.....my Wife likes Sidi's.....a buddy swears by Shimano...it's a personal pref.

EDIT:...any shoe you choose may need to have some of the tread trimmed so the cleat can engage the pedal w/out getting in the way....i have found a dremel works GREAT!...but you can use a box cutter too
    Click Here for Forum Rules

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    double post.....blargh!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Rod
    mtbr member
    I suggest going to your lbs, trying some shoes on, and asking for advice. See what shoes they have that's been tried and true. My 80 dollar Louis Garneau (sp) shoes have been going strong for 3 or 4 years now. Not the most comfortable shoe, but they're durable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I really like the Specialized Taho's and fortunately my lbs has them in stock and the price is great. I will be stopping there first to check them out right after work today.
    Thanks for the responses!
    Hopefully tomorrow I can get out of my pedals without breaking any bones!

Feb 2009
    make sure you practice getting in and out of the before you go straight into the trails. I made that mistake and it ended up with a broken ankle

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    Hopefully tomorrow I can get out of my pedals without breaking any bones!
    You can also set the tension very low on Shimano peddles to make it easier to get out while you get used to them.

I also agree with the advice that comfort is very important. Bike shoes are usually made of synthetic materials that don't stretch like leather might.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Years ago when I bought my K2 Razorback 4.0(now gone) it came with clipless pedals and shoes. That was back in '01.
    On my very first ride, I did a wheelie, went over backwards, could not get out and broke my right wrist. Then 6 months later I tried again, and broke the other one. Since that day I swore to never wear those stupid things ever again, but I feel that I have wasted so much energy by not having them, that it is time to do it again and force myself to figure it out once and for all. I have improved drastically as a rider in the last 8 years since then and although I have been on platforms the entire time I have been able to keep up to everyone I have ridden with, even on the big climbs. I will be racing soon as well for my lbs, so it just has to be done. People have actually laughed at me in the trail when they see I am on a $$$ high end bike wearing sneakers. Hopefully it all works out this time!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You should have stopped trying to ride wheelies rather than quit using the clipless pedals, LOL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well if you must know, when doing my wheelies, I was also drinking a bit that night, and FORGOT all about the pedals. LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Advice:
    1. Practice unclipping both feet at the same time. You will need to do this if you stop, or get stopped abruptly on a very steep climb. It also comes in handy so you don't lean the wrong way on a single foot exit.

2. Practice both single and double foot exits from multiple crank positions. Trust me.

3. You might try to lift your inside foot (to hover over the pedal- subconciously done on flats) on sharp slower speed corners. Dont. You will face plant before you even realized what happened.

4. Practice trackstanding. Before I went clips I made it a point never to put my foot down.
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

Did I catch a niner+?
    www.pricepoint.com has some decent MTB Clipless combos.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/135...ium-Pedals.htm
    A decent combo I think.

pink
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 09-25-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    my first mtb shoe were Specialized's, mid-low end shoe. they were good, lasted forever. i've replaced them with Sidi Dominator 5's, and i am very happy with them. they are very, very comfortable and they've lasted several years now and should do several more. just go get your size from your lbs then buy online.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

ridin' dirty
    I'm new to mtb and the guys I'll be riding with convinced me to start off with clipless instead of "re-learning" a few months down the road. So I went for my first trail ride this morning and only fell 2 or 3 times. I actually had more trouble getting both feet clipped back in than getting out, but I'm still adjusting. It's great being able to pull and push the pedals, plus it's nice not having your feet jarred from the pedals by roots or whatever. I really felt in control on the bike.
    I'm sure some great deals can be had by ordering shoes, but in my opinion you really need to try some on at your LBS since they don't really fit like your regular shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought the Specialized Taho shoes Friday night. Rode for 3 hours Saturday, but on my flats (I got nervous). Yesterday I spent almost 2 hours practicing, getting my pedal pressure set just right, tried a whole bunch of track stands(on nice long soft grass) and was very successful. Next ride I will go for it, which will be over this next weekend.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies

Members who have read this thread: 0