Clipless pedals with regular shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Clipless pedals with regular shoes

Im looking at going clipless but one of my major hold ups is if i can still use regular tennis shoes with them? im looking at the shimano m520's and would like to if i can, just jump on my bike for a quick ride a couple block ride with out getting my cleats out. i would use cleats for hard rides but are regular shoes ok for just casual city riding?

~Disc~Golf~
    I have the Time ATACs - the 'platform' is big and flat enough for a quick beer-run - works for me. Never tried it with the 520s, but you could probably 'get by'.

There are clipless with platforms, but they aren't ideal IMO
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Crankbrothers Mallet

Crankbrothers mallet pedals have worked great for me. Platform is same size as normal platforms and they have the super-reliable egg beater mechanism.

http://crankbrothers.com/mallet.php

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Performance Campus pedals on my commuter bike. It has SPDs on one side and the other side is a regular platform.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1034

I have a pair of 520's on my other bike and although you can get by for short trips, its not very comfortable because the locking mechanism is higher than the rest of the pedal and can get pretty slick if it gets wet.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    crank brothers has a bunch of pedals that have a platform. The candy's are always on sale. Look into it.

Dec 2006
    Another vote for the mallets. They work well with non-spd shoes. If the weight is too much the CB Acids might also work.

Members who have read this thread: 0