Clipless Pedals with Flexibility to allow regular shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Clipless Pedals with Flexibility to allow regular shoes

I'm the proud owner of a Trek Fuel EX 5.5, which came stock with clipped (i.e. strapped) pedals. I'd like to convert to a reasonably priced set of clipless pedals, but I don't want to buy a set of eggbeaters or other similar pedals that will make it impossible for me to ride without bike shoes on.

In other words, I'd like to be able to use the clipless pedals (with bike shoes) when doing significant riding. But on those occasions when the Fuel is pressed into service pulling my daughter to the park (yes, it's my one ride these days), I don't want to have to strap on my bike shoes.

So I'm looking for pedals that leave some kind of platform, that are reliable and durable, work well in varying MB conditions (mud, rain, etc.), are user friendly for a rider that's new to clipless pedals, are reasonably priced, and are a reasonable weight (i.e. not cast iron ).

That's not too much to ask, is it?

keeping it dirty
    I picked up a pair of Forte Campus pedals for cheap. They seem heavy to me (compared to regular clipless pedals) but the price is right and the flexibility for SPD or "regular" is there.. What I also like about these is that even if you ride on the platform side with the cleats in your bike shoes, the cleat doesn't hit the bottom side of the SPD pedal part, if that makes sense.

~Disc~Golf~
    I've said it before, so why not say it again.
    get pedals designed for the job
    real flats and real clipless.
    combo pedals do neither job well
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a set of Crank Bros Candy C's. They are basically eggbeaters with a small platform. I can ride in my flip flops when I'm just messing around with the kids.

keeping it dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I've said it before, so why not say it again.
    get pedals designed for the job
    real flats and real clipless.
    combo pedals do neither job well
    I agree with this. I should have specified that the combo pedals are for my GF, who is very new to biking, wants to try clipless, but wants to be able to switch to standard pedals if she finds that she is too scared during a ride. I much prefer my full SPD pedals, but I couldn't convince her to put a set on her bike.

~Disc~Golf~
    switching to the "normal" pedals during the ride would even be more sketchy since clipless shoes have little traction.
    you (she) can do what you want tho

keeping it dirty
    Actually the shoes she has (Shimano WM40) have decent grip on the flat side of the pedal.. If not better, then at least the same as the grip she would have with her normal "biking" shoes and her stock pedals. If/when she slips and falls from this combo I'll be sure to tell her "I told you so! And so did highdelll from the internets!"

~Disc~Golf~
    oh no!
    don't drag me into this!

T.W.O.

Shimano A530

It works for both, I'm using it on one of the bike works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipless Pedals with Flexibility to allow regular shoes-pedal_0020_shimano_0020_pd-a530.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I know it's a compromise, but here's the deal:

80% of the time, I'd be riding with bike shoes and clipped in.

The other 20% of the time is grabbing my 2 year old, throwing her in the trailer, and rolling down to the park (or running down to the store, etc.) It's those times that I'm worried about having eggbeaters. It's those times that I'm going to have on gym shoes, flipflops, boat shoes, or some other similarly inappropriate shoes for biking. Those trips tend to happen on the fly, on the spur of the moment, and I don't want to have to swap out pedals before we run to the park.

It's a compromise, I know. But it's a compromise that means I get more saddle time, and means that I can make one less trip in the car...so it's a compromise that I'm willing to make. Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm
    I know it's a compromise, but here's the deal:

80% of the time, I'd be riding with bike shoes and clipped in.

The other 20% of the time is grabbing my 2 year old, throwing her in the trailer, and rolling down to the park (or running down to the store, etc.) It's those times that I'm worried about having eggbeaters. It's those times that I'm going to have on gym shoes, flipflops, boat shoes, or some other similarly inappropriate shoes for biking. Those trips tend to happen on the fly, on the spur of the moment, and I don't want to have to swap out pedals before we run to the park.

It's a compromise, I know. But it's a compromise that means I get more saddle time, and means that I can make one less trip in the car...so it's a compromise that I'm willing to make. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I agree, do what works for you. I have the same situation. One bike and a two year old. I got a set of Wellgo pedals with SPD on one side and platforms on the other. I forget the model number though.

I ride trails pretty frequently and they've been awesome. One inconvenience is you have to know what side you're "attempting" to clip in to, but they always fall a certain way so it's rather easy once you're used to it.

For street riding and lugging the kids around, it doesn't even matter whether you're clipped in or not and the clips aren't intrusive enough to compromise your foot on the pedal.

~Disc~Golf~
    ok fine.
    I don't see what the big deal is to take literally less than two minutes to change out pedals is tho

you guys do what you want

White Knuckle Rider
    I don't have kids, but I would say having them running around for that 2 minutes... could seem a lot longer. Especially if Dad is solo at the time.

Is dang happy!

Agree, unless...

ok fine.
    I don't see what the big deal is to take literally less than two minutes to change out pedals is tho

you guys do what you want
    You ride regular shoes and clips every other day. That will wear out the threads on the cranks eventually.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crump582
    I don't have kids, but I would say having them running around for that 2 minutes... could seem a lot longer. Especially if Dad is solo at the time.

That's exactly it. A two year old can do a lot of damage in 2 minutes while you're sitting out there trying to swap out pedals on top of the 15 million other things you need to do to get him out of the house. They're freakin' crazy and there's no limit to what they can do.

If you don't have kids and have all the time in the world to tinker on your bike and swap this out for that everytime you go for a ride, then more power to you. But for us who do, trust me, it's a BIG advantage to not have to do that....even if it means you have to flip your pedal around to clip in.

~Disc~Golf~
    how do you ever find the time to lube your chain, put on your clothes or take a shlt

besides, don't you have to 'tinker on your bike' to do something to take the two year-old with you? trailer, seat...etc?
    or does the toddler just hop on their own bike and take off?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    You ride regular shoes and clips every other day. That will wear out the threads on the cranks eventually.
    ok eventually
    if they're greased up nicely, it shouldn't really be a prob. IMO

Picture Unrelated
    Why is no one listening to Highdell (the funky homosapien)? He's right. there is nothing worse than trying to clip in on a section of trail and having to stab at the flat side of a pedal over and over again. There are heaps of better options than a two sided pedal, for instance:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...24+Pedals.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+1+Pedals.aspx

I've owned these, they're not light, but they're great:
    http://www.amazon.com/Time-Platform-.../dp/B000C15L4W

They're not perfect, you can feel the center of the pedal through your shoes, but they're a great way to just take a quick spin through the neighborhood or go to the store or something.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hell, just leave the eggbeaters on all the time. You CAN ride eggbeaters with regular shoes--it's just a bit uncomfortable. It's not like you're gonna go on the trail like that, you're just riding slowly down the street, sounds like. I used to ride my bike with eggbeaters to the store quite often, with just everyday shoes on.

Or, get something like the Candy's mentioned above--eggbeaters with a small platform around the clip.

mtbr member
    you do know what happens when you try to screw something a hurry right? Xthread

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    you do know what happens when you try to screw something a hurry right? Xthread
    pretty much impossible with fingers

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can't believe someone hasn't mentioned something like this:

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/S...uter+Shoe.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had , actually still have, just not on the bike, a pair of the forte campus pedals, I liked them but the problem was that they were always facing the wrong side, so it was a pain, so I switched to the crankBros Mallets. I ran them for about a month, but I could not get clipped in or out easily, jsut too much interferance from the platformand the tread on the shoe, so now I am with just a normal SPd for now, until I decide if I want to go back to just a flat pedal or not. I worry i will end up wrecking due to not getting unclipped fast enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Time Atac Z pedals. Clipless on both sides but has a large enough platform for when you want to just use flats and play with the kids. It's not the reason I own them but it certainly is an unexpected benefit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    That's exactly it. A two year old can do a lot of damage in 2 minutes while you're sitting out there trying to swap out pedals on top of the 15 million other things you need to do to get him out of the house. They're freakin' crazy and there's no limit to what they can do.

If you don't have kids and have all the time in the world to tinker on your bike and swap this out for that everytime you go for a ride, then more power to you. But for us who do, trust me, it's a BIG advantage to not have to do that....even if it means you have to flip your pedal around to clip in.
    Not true if you have well disciplined kid and their fav video on the tv I know first hand I have 2 kids ages 5 and 3. My son (3) who is is autistic and we no problems with him when we need to do things around the house.Never had any problems with this system of a video on the tv. I have changed tires in the garage and came they are still just sitting there. Takes longer to changes tires then pedals
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have these on my commuter http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/41414...tAds_330888058

I am not sure if they are too heavy for your liking. I have never noticed them adding wieght to my bike. I carried a M-240B in the military. So my feeling of heavy is a little off.
    __________________________________________________ _
    I don't like carbon bikes becasue you can't put them in the camp fire.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor666
    Not true if you have well disciplined kid and their fav video on the tv I know first hand I have 2 kids ages 5 and 3. My son (3) who is is autistic and we no problems with him when we need to do things around the house.Never had any problems with this system of a video on the tv. I have changed tires in the garage and came they are still just sitting there. Takes longer to changes tires then pedals
    Well aren't you the model ****ing parent.

mtbr member
    Not to make u feel bad but, some recent studies show that young childen without enough mental stimulation, i.e. watching tv, could become autistic. How could u leave a 3 y.o unattended? You'v been lucky so far. Please don't use the tv as a baby sitter.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    When I first started riding clipless I was scared to even think about trying that, but clipping in and out is not even a conscious process anymore. I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and they've been riding with me since before they could walk.

I used the Wellgo hybrids for a few months, but once the clips became second nature, I just went with Time Atac, all the time. I use them with the trailer, the iBert seat, and WeeRide chair, and most recently the Adam's trail-a-bike, on and off road. I've never had a close call, and I don't have to worry about switching out pedals or using the crappy hybrid ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    Not to make u feel bad but, some recent studies show that young childen without enough mental stimulation, i.e. watching tv, could become autistic. How could u leave a 3 y.o unattended? You'v been lucky so far. Please don't use the tv as a baby sitter.
    The whole autism-TV hypothesis is quite ridiculous. And I agree, these studies do nothing more than divert attention from the real cause of autism and shift blame to mothers/fathers--which is a shame because this study just muddies up the waters even further, detracting attention away from trying to focus on other more realistic and plausible cause(s).. My kids watch 20 mins a day when we choose to let them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how do you ever find the time to lube your chain, put on your clothes or take a shlt

besides, don't you have to 'tinker on your bike' to do something to take the two year-old with you? trailer, seat...etc?
    or does the toddler just hop on their own bike and take off?
    I don't usually work on my bike when my kids need to be supervised. There's a lot of things you really can't do when you have kids. Just the way it is. I'm going to assume you don't have kids.

Yeah, I also have an 8 month old daughter and I'm not going to leave either one of them unattended. I'm sure you have perfect angels for children, but in my opinion I don't think mine are old enough to make rational decisions on their own just yet. I'll stick to keeping an eye on them at this age as opposed to trusting that he's a responsible toddler while I'm out in the garage working on my bike. Thanks for the advice though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    I don't usually work on my bike when my kids need to be supervised. There's a lot of things you really can't do when you have kids. Just the way it is. I'm going to assume you don't have kids.

Yeah, I also have an 8 month old daughter and I'm not going to leave either one of them unattended. I'm sure you have perfect angels for children, but in my opinion I don't think mine are old enough to make rational decisions on their own just yet. I'll stick to keeping an eye on them at this age as opposed to trusting that he's a responsible toddler while I'm out in the garage working on my bike. Thanks for the advice though.
    Oh yeah at that age I did nothing of the sort. If things needed to be worked on I made sure that my wife was at home . I dont use the video trick often but in a pinch it does work. Both of my kids like watching me tinker on the bike so sometimes I take them out there. Try pre greasing your pedals and then lay down a towels in the house and do it there where you can see them .With the pedals already greased up should only take about 3-4 mins tops

mtbr member
    Wow. It's crazy. A guy asks which pedal and look where it goes.
    BOT. I've used wellgo wam d10. Well built good sized but after some time found them a pain. Built up another bike over the winter so now my Daddy bike has platform pedals and new ride has candy clipless. Wellgo stopped makin them. New wam d10 can still b had on ebay pretty cheap.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah--didn't mean to start fights over good or bad parenting.

My only thought/point was that I'd like to do everything I can to eliminate impediments to riding. I want the bike to be sitting there, ready to go...so I can just throw (err...gently place) my daughter in the trailer and go riding. I don't want to have to change pedals or other equipment. So for right now, my MTB is being used for everything, and I want all purpose pedals. May change in the future, as my longer term goal is to get more of a hybrid/cross bike for road riding, and keep Fuelie for off-road adventures...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think the it's probably clear that there are some options available for combo-pedals that will do what you need. And if you plan to ride solo, you'll always have the option to take a few minutes and put on full-clipless.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...nd+Straps.aspx

Click through, browse what's out there, and read the reviews.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I'd say the idea that you'd change pedals every you wanted to ride in a particular way is kind of silly...yeah it might not take a long time to do it, but I know I wouldn't want to swap my pedals out to ride to work and then swap them out again to hit the trails and then back to grab a quick dinner down the street.

If you're crafty, how about this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582717

Seems like a good solution. I'm surprised that no manufacturer already makes these...

Members who have read this thread: 0