Clipless: Best "all-purpose" shoes?- Mtbr.com
    Bruh

Clipless: Best "all-purpose" shoes?

I'm looking for a pair of shoes that are SPD compatible, yet are versatile enough to allow me to use them as regular shoes if need be (hiking over a section of trail, walking into a convenience store without clicking and sliding everywhere, etc.).

I've been looking at the Lake MX101's, and I've gotten a few recommendations on them from a few friends, but I'm wondering if there's a cheaper yet still comparable shoe out there. As a college student, I'm not so eager to drop close to a hundred dollars on a pair of shoes.

So let's hear it... recommendations?

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of lower end Pearl Izumis for around $70 and they work well for scrambling over rocks etc. They fit a little narrow so if you have wide feet I'd keep shopping (kinda wish I did).

A buddy of mine has a pair of Lakes (not sure which model but they have a Vibram sole) and I'm a bit jealous.

Bruh
    Well, I just picked up a set of the MX101's on eBay in my size for 39 bucks.

I love closeout specials! Hopefully I'll have them soon.

mtbr member
    I dont know what you guys are using or am very knowledgeable about bikes and shoes, but i have found that clipless shoes are generally made with a raised heel and a stiff metal plate by the balls of your feet, just like track shoes.....some might offer heel support so try before you buy
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Get some casual mountain bike shoes. The higher end ones are stiffer and slipperier.

I have these http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1202355594096

And they are fine to walk around in. I wear them to play with the kids in the park and they don't slip and slide on flooring, minimal clacking of the cleat (I have Shimano) which can be eliminated with some creative steps. I wouldn't wear them for a hike but unless we bike to a destination for extensive time off the bike I stay in them. The 6 hr stay at the apple orchard warrants other shoes. An hour at the park does not.

Members who have read this thread: 0