Choosing a new helmet- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161

    Choosing a new helmet

    Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

    I was originally a roadie and xc racer. However, I have transitioned to a much more all mountain style of riding, and a recent crash prompted me to rethink my choice in protective gear.

    In particular, I am looking for a helmet to provide a great deal more coverage than my road helmet.

    I am between the 6d atb 1t evo, poc tectal race spin, and Smith Forefront 2 mips.

    My main concerns are coverage/safety (obviously) and comfort/ventilation. All of that said, I am leaning toward the poc because it appears to provide excellent coverage and ventilation.

    I am ordering from REI, so of it doesn't fit well or I don't like it for some reason I can exchange it. The 6d is the only one that I would not have too much wiggle room as far as returns.

    I just wondered if anyone had first hand experience with these helmets and could provide any insight.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: armii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    789
    The idea behind MIPS is to let the helmet to move or spin slightly around the head to lessen impact. With half helmets, especially bike helmets, they usually fit loose enough to allow for that with or without MIPS. I personally almost always wear a full face helmet for single track riding, and prefer the Bell Super R2/3 with the removable chin bar so it can be use as a open face helmet during easy trails and slow climbs. but there are several out there. https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweigh...elmets-review/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Legbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,564
    The only way to buy a helmet is to visit the local shops and try them on, then get the best fit/features from that shop.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

    Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161
    Unfortunately, the shops around here don't have the models I am interested in. But that is the upshot of REI, is that I can test them out and return if not a good fit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,036
    Too bad there aren't more local options for you.

    Free shipping and returns is good but I hate that we volunteer to waste the time of the shippers. Especially with helmets. Who knows how many times that thing has been jostled around or dropped by the potential buyer.

    Oops, I dropped this one so I'll send it back and buy another one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluegill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    156
    I'm still a fan of the Bell Super DH that I picked up a few months ago. Removable chin guard like the Super R2/3 mentioned above. Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Great protection/coverage even without chin guard.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161
    I agree, I always try to buy local when possible, more to support the local lbs than anything. As for dropping them, in motocross, we always dropped helmets before wearing them to "get the bad luck out" lol.

  8. #8
    Ride More - Suffer Less
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    2,291
    I cannot comment on the POC and although I tried the Smith it was not for long. I did really like slots for your eyewear.

    The 6D are very nice and I feel the ODS system provides superior safety over the alternatives, just my personal opinion.

    My head measures 58cm and the 6D ATB1 M/L (55-59cm) fits on its max open position with a Sweat buster installed. The XL/XXL was far massive for me.

    Overall very happy with this helmet and highly recommend.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    The idea behind MIPS is to let the helmet to move or spin slightly around the head to lessen impact. With half helmets, especially bike helmets, they usually fit loose enough to allow for that with or without MIPS. I personally almost always wear a full face helmet for single track riding, and prefer the Bell Super R2/3 with the removable chin bar so it can be use as a open face helmet during easy trails and slow climbs. but there are several out there. https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweigh...elmets-review/
    I defintely feel you on the desire for full face! I actually have a full face motocross helmet for when things get ultra rowdy, so I am not too concerned about the convertable option. Will definitely do a bit of research on the Bell though. Thanks!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I cannot comment on the POC and although I tried the Smith it was not for long. I did really like slots for your eyewear.

    The 6D are very nice and I feel the ODS system provides superior safety over the alternatives, just my personal opinion.

    My head measures 58cm and the 6D ATB1 M/L (55-59cm) fits on its max open position with a Sweat buster installed. The XL/XXL was far massive for me.

    Overall very happy with this helmet and highly recommend.
    Thanks for the reply! Do you find it to be unbearably hot? That is the main complaint that I tend to hear about that helmet. And as a total layman, I agree with your assesment that the ODS tech seems really solid. I like that both it and the spin are actually a part of the helmet, not just a third party insert tacked on after the fact.

  11. #11
    Ride More - Suffer Less
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    Do you find it to be unbearably hot?
    I really did not and I've gone thru 2 California summers now with the 6D.



    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,664
    +1 on the Bell Super 2... Very comfortable and great protection.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7

    Anyone try Lazersport Revolution?

    Retread here, back in the saddle after a few years...had to recover from black mold attack on my lungs, but love mtb too much to let it keep me down.
    Anyway, also been looking at helmets and noticed no one mentioned the Lazersport Revolution...anyone know anything? DidLgmoto356
    consider it at all? I like the ability to add chin guard as well, didn't know about the Bell.
    thanks, Dan

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RyeThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    50
    Good on you for looking for advice. I canít give any solid review but I ordered a Bell Super 3R today.
    I recently broke my clavicle going OTB at 23.6mph. Iím very lucky I didnít break my neck because I never noticed the accident coming. I have definitely re-evaluated safety and think an full face helmet even at the local single track (which I ride, I donít race) is a great idea.

    Best of luck whatever you decide. Lots of great options but more protection is better, JMO from getting broken.
    99 SJ Pro FSR XC
    15 SJFSR Comp EVO 650b
    18 YT Jeffsy 27 CF

    Former United States Marine.
    ďBoredom is self inflictedĒ

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazandan View Post
    Retread here, back in the saddle after a few years...had to recover from black mold attack on my lungs, but love mtb too much to let it keep me down.
    Anyway, also been looking at helmets and noticed no one mentioned the Lazersport Revolution...anyone know anything? DidLgmoto356
    consider it at all? I like the ability to add chin guard as well, didn't know about the Bell.
    thanks, Dan
    Wow, well glad that you seem to be doing better after what sounds like a serious problem! I am not familiar with Lazersport at all, but I will defintely look into it!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeThomas View Post
    Good on you for looking for advice. I canít give any solid review but I ordered a Bell Super 3R today.
    I recently broke my clavicle going OTB at 23.6mph. Iím very lucky I didnít break my neck because I never noticed the accident coming. I have definitely re-evaluated safety and think an full face helmet even at the local single track (which I ride, I donít race) is a great idea.

    Best of luck whatever you decide. Lots of great options but more protection is better, JMO from getting broken.
    I agree whole heartedly! I have very much been rethinking protection as well. I raced motocross for over a decade, covered in gear from head to toe. From there I went to roadbikes and xc racing wearking nothing but tights! I think it is time to reach a middle ground.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    55
    Helmet fit is such a tricky thing. Very difficult to predict what feels good. TLD A1 is the most comfortable helmet I have put on my head and I was excited for the release of the A2 which promised better air flow. I tried on the A2 and it was an immediately apparent that it would not fit my head correctly. Same thing with the Smith Forefront. Looks like a great helmet but fit me poorly. Point is that fit trumps all and you may have to try several to get a good fit.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-27-2017, 09:10 AM
  2. New to Forums and Choosing New Bike
    By Drummerguydw in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 05:49 PM
  3. Choosing a helmet
    By unemployedzombie in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
  4. Choosing a Helmet
    By MTBkitty in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
  5. Choosing a helmet?
    By kataclysm in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 11:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.