choosing goggles- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458

    choosing goggles

    hey there. I'm in a spot of choosing gogles for the first time, and as always with gear, I'm surfing around, reading about various goggles manufacturers and models, trying to get as much info as possible about them..

    I narrowed my choice to Thor's Hero goggles and Oakley Crowbar MX goggles.

    Thor
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...al/73962-1.jpg

    Thor's have cool looks which I like and will probably get that mirrored lens which will probably make me look like an alien have to find out what that lens actually do - are the just for bright sunlight or can work in wintertime as well, with not so much sun and with grey weather (anybody?). was reading about them and people say they may fog sometimes, but as soon as you start riding they clear (from what I gathered, most of the goggles have that 'feature').

    Oakley
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ll/16131-4.jpg

    on the other hand, Oakley's have cool looks as well, and they have great selection of aftermarket lenses which I like. will probably get couple of those to have a wide selection of lenses to put according to weather conditions..

    if you have any info/thoughts on these two, please, let me know.
    if you have some other goggles you think I should consider and look into, I'll take your advice and check them out.
    thanx!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    291
    I would try to find a mx shop and try them on. Every pair of goggles fits differently. When I was on the search for snowboard goggles i tried on at least 10 different pairs of goggles for fit then found a color scheme that i liked in that goggle. This is not to say you won't get lucky and have them fit perfectly its just that the odds are against you.

    Wish i could provide insight as to which will work better but only YOU can tell that as far as fit goes.

    As far as lenses any light colored lens will work in winter (the lenses on those thor's looks like they would work fine)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    yeah. I was thinking the same - very true what you're saying.
    was hoping someone would give me some info on those I mentioned above..

    thanx for the lenses tip as well...

  4. #4
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Well, for what it's worth I have the Oakley Crowbar MX (and a couple pair of snow Crowbars) and I really like them. But more to the point, even other Oakley goggles don't fit my face well and you never know how a goggle will interface with your helmet until you try. The try on is key to buying a goggle. With the MX goggles, they're mostly the same technology so what you should be looking for is fit and a lens color that you like.

    I've just got a light blue lens for my goggles and they're good in low light and good enough in bright light. I find the mirrored lenses vary wildly in quality and color. Some of the ones that appear totally opaque are very lightly tinted and some are so dark you can hardly see out of them. Oakley has a light transmission chart and simulated images for lens colors that can help give you an idea of how much light a lens lets in. I've now rode with clear and blue lenses and I don't think I'd go much darker than that unless I were riding exclusively in the unshaded sun which really doesn't happen, but that's just me.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    hey!
    thanx for the heads up...
    I saw that lenses simulation on Oakley's site, totally forgot about it.
    seems everybody likes Oakley's. there's gotta be a reason for that..

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,107
    I got thor enemies for $25 on ebay and extra mirror lenses for $10. they're comfy, look good and don't fog. Why pay $80 for oakley.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Oakley's on CRC from 35 to 50 - that's not THAT bad...

    pls tell how does the mirror lens work...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tornadom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    157
    Like others have said, try on as many goggles as you can to see how they fit your face and helmet.

    If I can add one to your list of goggles to look at, it's the Progrip 3400. I love the feel of my Progrip goggles, and especially like the light sensitive lenses. Mine don't fog up too bad, and the lens seems to change from light to dark and back to light pretty much instantly in relation to light conditions.
    Too many bicycles to list...

  9. #9
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Why pay $80 for oakley.
    Because they fit your face better. Same reason you should be picking any piece of gear, fit or function.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadom View Post
    Like others have said, try on as many goggles as you can to see how they fit your face and helmet.

    If I can add one to your list of goggles to look at, it's the Progrip 3400. I love the feel of my Progrip goggles, and especially like the light sensitive lenses. Mine don't fog up too bad, and the lens seems to change from light to dark and back to light pretty much instantly in relation to light conditions.
    thanx dude.. will give it a look, for sure!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Because they fit your face better. Same reason you should be picking any piece of gear, fit or function.
    have to say I'm picky as hell, so I totally agree with zebrahum - I'd rather pay more and be satisfied...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46
    i went for Oakley O Frame MX goggles in red and have been very happy, they have tear off towers and replaceable lens' should i feel the need or mark my current lens.

    I also use Oakley for my snowboarding Goggles.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmlarge View Post
    i went for Oakley O Frame MX goggles in red and have been very happy, they have tear off towers and replaceable lens' should i feel the need or mark my current lens.

    I also use Oakley for my snowboarding Goggles.
    thanx for the tip.. I think I'm gonna go with O Frame MX as well... what lens you use now? clear, I suppose..

    one more thing for all you guys here - are dual vented lenses that much better than normal? because they cost 3 times more....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46
    yeah clear ones, most of the riding i do is undercover

    i don't think dual vented can be replaced

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmlarge View Post
    yeah clear ones, most of the riding i do is undercover

    i don't think dual vented can be replaced
    what do you mean cannot be replaced?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46
    i think they are glued in.
    like the snow ones?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by ashas View Post
    one more thing for all you guys here - are dual vented lenses that much better than normal? because they cost 3 times more....
    yeas they are worlds better with fogging, thats why the dual layer lenses are used in snow sports.

    as for cost $20 vs $8 i would say its worth it. (check the llinks)

    Quote Originally Posted by nwmlarge
    i don't think dual vented can be replaced
    yes they can, same method as single layers

    dual vented
    single layer

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    thanx for the tip tyler...

  19. #19
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,101
    Check out Zeal Detonators, if you have the cash. Absolutely no fogging on my set. They're meant for winter mtn sports, but works better than goggles I've tried for mtn biking. Wish the photochromic one went from clear (~90% light transmission) to its usual 13% (currently 43% to 13%), so I would be more willing to keep it on in the dark.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Check out Zeal Detonators, if you have the cash. Absolutely no fogging on my set. They're meant for winter mtn sports, but works better than goggles I've tried for mtn biking. Wish the photochromic one went from clear (~90% light transmission) to its usual 13% (currently 43% to 13%), so I would be more willing to keep it on in the dark.
    Zeal's are mega expensive - that Detonator model is cabon, right?
    have to say I don't like those ski goggles, don't know why... and with that price tag, I'll skip those-like, at least for now.

    I can imagine these work better for MTB, though, cause they're made for extreme temperatures, sure... and totally agree on that 90-13% thingy, defo...

  21. #21
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,101
    Zeal Detonator SPX Goggle - Polarized from Departmentofgoods.com

    There's a cheaper model. You're prob looking at their top of the line model, with photochromic (transition) lenes, polarization, spherical shape, and carbon frame, which go for $150-200.

    I personally wouldn't touch cheap MX goggles. Fogging is super annoying. Anytime you stop, it fogs and you have to take it off. Polarized & photochromic models is super handy. Less glare and it transitions well for shady areas and deep forest canopy sections. The sphereical thing is supposed to improve field of view too. Maybe that's why I feel it improved my vision so much over my Oakley Half Jacket sunglasses, which has a fairly minimalist frame, so shouldn't have limited my field of view.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ashas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Zeal Detonator SPX Goggle - Polarized from Departmentofgoods.com

    There's a cheaper model. You're prob looking at their top of the line model, with photochromic (transition) lenes, polarization, spherical shape, and carbon frame, which go for $150-200.

    I personally wouldn't touch cheap MX goggles. Fogging is super annoying. Anytime you stop, it fogs and you have to take it off. Polarized & photochromic models is super handy. Less glare and it transitions well for shady areas and deep forest canopy sections. The sphereical thing is supposed to improve field of view too. Maybe that's why I feel it improved my vision so much over my Oakley Half Jacket sunglasses, which has a fairly minimalist frame, so shouldn't have limited my field of view.
    ok - thought there's only one model. thanx for the tip..
    they look really interesting, and that improved FOV is a great feature. have to look into these.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    372
    I like my Crowbars. For some reason my O-Frames fog up badly, but I have not had any issues with the Crowbars.

Similar Threads

  1. snowboard goggles, MX goggles...whats the difference?
    By musky in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM
  2. Help is choosing a forkHelp is choosing a fork
    By limoni in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
  3. goggles, what do you use?
    By slingerzz in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 10:03 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM
  5. goggles
    By Amazing Larry104 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.