Chest / Shoulder protection for everyday riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Chest / Shoulder protection for everyday riding?

I'm 58. I don't heal the way I used to.

In the past few years my injuries are primarily to my shoulders (2 AC and 1 SC separation) or to the chest (broken ribs and almost took a core sample when I went down on the bar end).
    None of these happened when I was hitting big lines or high speed DH trails. It was stupid accidents on easy sections when I wasn't expecting trouble.

I'm considering chest / shoulder protection that would be comfortable enough to wear all the time or could be put in a pack for long climbs and used on the descents. I'm considering the TLD 5850.
    Anyone routinely wear chest / shoulder protection? Is it comfortable to wear it on most rides?
    Will I regret my purchase because I just won't wear it because it's too hot or uncomfortable?

mtbr member
    I considered it after a few mishaps, one that resulted in a broken clavicle and a few broken ribs. I couldn't find anything I thought I could get along with though so I've kind of given up on it. So far so good.

The shoulder is an inherintly weak and vulnerable joint. After my accident I was prescribed some exercises that target that area and strengthen it and I've tried to keep up on them daily ever since. I don't know how much it helps but it sure doesn't hurt.

Anyway that's all I got, sorry. I'm about your age btw.
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    Being that I live in the southeast, I don't think there's anything I'd be able to wear day-to-day in the summertime, UNLESS I stowed it in my pack for the climb and put it on for the downhill. But that would only work for some trails. No way would I want to do that on more xc-oriented rides where the route has more frequent undulations.

And I see you live farther south than me (assuming you're in FL).

That'd be a great big nope from me. Any protection you put on is going to make you warmer. Is the risk of heat stroke a lesser risk for you than broken bones? For me, it's a higher risk. I run warm as a matter of course, so no way I'd want to wear that level of protection on day-to-day riding.

Maybe take some time to focus on skills and avoiding mental lapses to prevent these kinds of wrecks in the first place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm 10 weeks healed up @ 60 from broken shoulder blade-clavicle-ribs. Just bought the TLD 7850 and have worn it 1/2 dozen times the past two weeks snowbiking in Colorado. It's true to size and fits nicely but does run warm. I will continue to wear in winter with a light short sleeve wool underneath. Don't think I will be able to tolerate it in the summer but it is a nice for peace of mind this winter while I'm on the mend and need to ride.