Chest Protection is the topic...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Chest Protection is the topic...

So I saw the O'neal Matrix's and some Fox ones that I didnt read very good reviews on. I'm looking to spend about a bill and a half on a good chest plate. Any recommended ones that you guys have used and really liked comfort ability wise. Like I said i'd like to stay somewhere in the $150.00 range. Just looking for something that fits nice and doesn't ride up like a bad wedgie.

Thanks
    -Evan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
    So I saw the O'neal Matrix's and some Fox ones that I didnt read very good reviews on. I'm looking to spend about a bill and a half on a good chest plate. Any recommended ones that you guys have used and really liked comfort ability wise. Like I said i'd like to stay somewhere in the $150.00 range. Just looking for something that fits nice and doesn't ride up like a bad wedgie.

Thanks
    -Evan
    Those are roost deflectors for MX and really not that good for crash protection, better than nothing but thats not what their designed for. I have a Fox I bought for my bike and I think it be tough pedaling in.

ZEN RIDER!
    Troy Lee DesignsŪ*|*UPS 7850-HW Shirt

this has a few really great reviews, thinking about picking one up for the next time i
    go to HIghland
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i bought this troy lee shirt but returned it right away - it's practically a tight shirt with pads that i think will be very difficult and annoying to take off (i had a hard time taking it off without riding and sweating) and doesnt provide much protection either. i think the ones with zipper in the front and plastic guards give you a lot more protection.

Texan
    Not a Troy Lee fan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Check out knox and dianese. knox makes add on chest plates.

THe roost guards may help disperse impact.

my conundrum is finding something good for protecting ribs. football style pads seem to flexible for sharp objects and most protectors don't cover your side well. Last week I fell down sideways onto my vertical pedal and it poked me right between the sides of my roost style protector. OMG owch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just went over my bighit last weekend TRYING to descend a real steep downhill. The first thing to hit rock were my ribs. I REALLY need to find a upper body protector that really covers everything.

mtbr member
    the new Rockgardn Flak Jacket is awesome. i have just the chest and back slider portion of it and i wear it all the time. i also have one of the original trailstars which i modified slightly for use for both all mountain and dh. both provide awesome chest protection and they are super easy to get in and out of.

mtbr member
    Are you going to use a Leatt? I ask because I am now in a situation where my 661 evo pressure suit wont work with my new Leatt.

Just thought i would throw this out because it will effect you choices out there for upper protection.

mtbr member

Light wieght Flak Jacket

I have on older 661 pressure suit which is great for lift service riding, but it gets to hot when I have to ride or push to the top. Can anyone suggest a light weight flak jacket for my local rides?

I gotta pee
    The new Rockgardn flack jacket works great with a leatt..