Cheap shoes for flat pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Cheap shoes for flat pedals

I was wondering about which cheap shoes work the best for FR/DH on flat pedals. I looked at the sixsixone site and there are some great deals. What do you think?

And how do the SPD compatible ones work for flat?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The grip on those sixsixones looks worse than some skate shoes. If I were to recommend you some cheap shoes I'd recommend some vans with the waffle comb sole.

mtbr member
    addias work good for me. were $40 on sale.

ex BMXer with the Big Bike bug

Big Creek Racing
    Specialized Tires,Profile Racing,Von Zipper

rider
    Feb 2008
    661 rocks...

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    The grip on those sixsixones looks worse than some skate shoes. If I were to recommend you some cheap shoes I'd recommend some vans with the waffle comb sole.

Yeah, the Vans are ok. Got mine for $40 when I forgot my 5.10s on the way up to BC last month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So your recommending normal skate shoes? Isn't the grip on normal shoes not soft enough?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    NSS nice skate shoes, I picked some up at sears for 5 bucks

The Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemarine5
    So your recommending normal skate shoes? Isn't the grip on normal shoes not soft enough?

They will be fine... I have always used skate shoes, you can find them for $20 sometimes.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    The next best thing after five tens are vans. You could get them for $40.

Nov 2007
    Vans Wafflebottoms and nothing else... just find them on sale.

they've worked perfectly, at least mine, with Crankbros 5050's

mtbr member
    Etnies, Adio, Vans, Es, etc..., you can find good deals at ebay. I got my Adio mid height for $27 and my etnies for $40 at dick's sports.

Thunder Chunky
    Basketball shoes also work good cause the pins fit into allt e little grooves on the bottom. Tehy do however look kinda weird on a bike lol
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So all those marzocchi ones really do suck?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been running Vans on BMX and now DH and XC for the last 20 years, they work great. The "waffle" grip is great for "locking" into your pedals.

mtbr member
    So all those marzocchi ones really do suck?

They are the best you can buy. Its the same thing as five tens.

mtbr member
    I thought you wanted cheap shoes???

StraightOuttaCompton
    get some vans from a target or something. they arent real vans but they still have waffle grip
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    go to big 5 and find some skate shoes on sale with a waffle pattern, I got my vision shoes for under $20 with tax. and they work better than some vans I've had

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsman
    go to big 5 and find some skate shoes on sale with a waffle pattern, I got my vision shoes for under $20 with tax. and they work better than some vans I've had
    I second this notion.... Big 5 is where I get mine. I almost never pay more than $20. Just keep an eye on their sales, eventually they put decent enough shoes out for $15-$20. When you find some that work well, buy 2 or 3 pairs.

mtbr member
    Just got some Nike Air Zoom Oncores for $29 from Pacsun cause theyre not going to sell shoes any more. Sell for $80 next door at Zumiez.

5.10s arent cheap and they look like the shoes I got when I went to the hospital.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just picked up a pair of Mossimo Supply Co skate shoes at Target for 19.99. They work well so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2008

Shimano MP56 BMX Shoe

I ride with these and love them. Only $39 at Nashbar.com. They stick to the pedals, relatively light weight, and they keep your feet pretty dry and laces mud free.

I would highly recommend these, even though they are technically a BMX shoe. I would get some pull-tight laces at a running store though. It makes them way easier to tie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Gettin Started
    are those type of shoes good for riding DH? I have Nike "Shox" because well i'm kinda new to this and dont know any better :O

mtbr member
    I've never had luck with basketball shoes, the tread is just to smooth. Like everyone else is saying, check out a cheap pair of skate shoes with a waffleish pattern. If you want to spend a little more coin, go with Nike 6.0's or the classic 5.10's.
    im wearing clothes right now.

beautiful jackass
    I look for Vans with waffle treads at stores like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and whatever other closeout department stores are around. I bought a great pair of Vans for $14.99 last time I was there as a backup pair. Just buy them when they're cheap and hold on to them until needed.

Glad to Be Alive
    40 bucks Nike flights basketball high tops...gives extra ankle support plus protects the outer ankle bone from hitting stuff....just don't get the ones with plastic arch support in the middle
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPerm
    I ride with these and love them. Only $39 at Nashbar.com. They stick to the pedals, relatively light weight, and they keep your feet pretty dry and laces mud free.

I would highly recommend these, even though they are technically a BMX shoe. I would get some pull-tight laces at a running store though. It makes them way easier to tie.
    +1

When you ride DH you armor-up, put on a full face helmet, knee/elbow pads and you want to rock skate shoes that offer no protection for the top of your feet. I thought I was cool rocking vans dh-ing, then one day pedaling through a rock section hauling, my foot blows off and my toes get crushed. I had four purple piggys for two weeks. The shimano DX shoes are pure armor top to bottom.

Jun 2006
    go to walmart and buy the 9.95$ velcro shoes.

mtbr member
    I get my Vans from the outlet mall here. $20 for the ones I ride with. Waffle bottom. Love em.

TLL

Apr 2008
    I was wondering about which cheap shoes work the best for FR/DH on flat pedals. I looked at the sixsixone site and there are some great deals. What do you think?

And how do the SPD compatible ones work for flat?
    The Dually Takis work pretty well, I have a set. cheaper than Vans. Skip the SPD, the SPD on the 661s suck. If you need clipless buy a good set of clipless shoes instead.

Apr 2007
    Vans are the best, I remember watching the old school bmx races as a kid and most of the riders would be wearing vans.....Ah the memories......
    Last edited by mr.specialized; 05-23-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Bikes Rule
    Every pair of Vans waffle bottoms end up getting holes and worn out spots from the pedal pegs. My brand new pair of Half Cabs were ruined in like a month. The bottoms get worn and my foot ends up having movement that annoys the crap out of me.

They are the best feeling shoe as I hate the super thick tongue style Vans. But I think the bottoms are softer. I ride 5.10 Impacts for DH but I can't wear them for DJ/Park. They are just too huge. So I just ordered a pair of 5.10 BA51C. They are a Vans-esque looking shoe with the same rubber technology.

Last edited by Demo-9; 05-23-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1