Cheap Mountain Bike Shorts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap Mountain Bike Shorts?

I've always just used some North Face shorts that dry stupid fast. I've been looking at some cheap MTB shorts on eBay and Amazon. Anyone tried anything before and or have suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot on mountain bike shorts and don't want crazy colors either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigtinius View Post
    I've always just used some North Face shorts that dry stupid fast. I've been looking at some cheap MTB shorts on eBay and Amazon. Anyone tried anything before and or have suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot on mountain bike shorts and don't want crazy colors either.
    Don’t know about you but I need at least one zipper pocket for quick access items. I bought a used pair of Troy Lee designs off eBay for like 10 bucks and was super excited until I realized there was no pockets. Opposite end of the spectrum. I asked for a $60 pair of Fox shorts For Christmas and the inner liner, which I feel I paid extra for, was absolute garbage. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cheap? Ask me after a 6 hr ride? One could go with a basic padded liner and any kind of nylon short.

mtbr member
    I'm just wondering if something like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Cyclin...587tgGDqAn11kw

or these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baggy-Mens-....c100505.m3226

would be worth investing in for mountain biking. I have probably 2 or 3 decent shorts that aren't basketball shorts or cargo shorts that are long enough and comfortable enough to mountain bike in. The rest of mine are too long, too short, or have some other reason they don't work well biking in.

mtbr member
    I wear a padded liner and cargos.

mtbr member
    The synthetic material dries quicker than canvas (cotton) and breathes better which is why I want a pair like that if they're any good. How much does the padded liner help? I've never considered a liner before because my butt adjusts to the hard saddle after a couple rides at the start of each season anyways.

mtbr member
    The synthetic material dries quicker than canvas (cotton) and breathes better which is why I want a pair like that if they're any good. How much does the padded liner help? I've never considered a liner before because my butt adjusts to the hard saddle after a couple rides at the start of each season anyways.
    People in the know call them chamois, lol, I call em butt pads. I’ll occasionally got out MB without em but always wear them while road biking. I find they help the most with preventing chafing. I wear dedicated padded liner then shorts over top. The benefits of this imo far outweigh a combo short. Couple reasons are that it doesn’t look like your wearing a diaper if you hit the bar or restaurant after a ride and it also allows you to change up your outer layer without having to worry what has a liner and what doesn’t.

mtbr member
    I have used a few off Amazon and they are pretty good. Seem well made and durable. However, some of them use material that is just a little too stretchy for me and don't fit snuggly enough. So, they tend to get caught in the seat or move some. The ones I bought has a Velcro adjusted waistband which I don't like. I really like belt loops because you can really lock a set of shorts on. Much less movement with a belt on. If they put belt loops on it would be a far better set of shorts.

My favorite goto shorts have been some North Face mountain bike shorts. Super durable and fit really well. Plus belt loops. Haha. You can lock them on with an athletic belt. North Face used to make MTB specific shorts, but don't anymore because they couldn't sell enough. The Fox Ranger shorts are very good for the price.
    Last edited by aliikane; 01-20-2018 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Can you link which ones you specifically got? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wear cheap ones from Amazon with a simple padded chamois underneath.

https://www.amazon.com/Ally-Repellen...70_&dpSrc=srch

Hope that helps
    Last edited by dalehanover; 04-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    Dale

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Check aero tech designs occasionally for their sale items. I got several pairs of theirs cheap and love them.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Backcountry.com and Steepandcheap.com almost always have various Fox shorts for short money - usually $40-50.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dalehanover View Post

Hope that helps
    How are they holding up? I’ve heard mixed things about those shorts.

mtbr member
    If you hunt around in clearance sections you can find brand name high $$ shorts on sale for well below 50% off as long as you aren't fussy about design/colour.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Hope that helps
    I have a pair of those and they are pretty good. Comfy, light, and stretchy. I had to repair a bit of stitching, but I've had to do that with brand name shorts costing much more.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How are they holding up? I’ve heard mixed things about those shorts.

I've got two pairs, black and blue. For 25 bucks they are great. Fox shorts are not 60 bucks better!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Scour the net man. Clearance is your friend. I have two pair of super nice fox ranger cargo shorts with liners. Paid $30-$40 each including shipping. No need to go cheap if you have some extra free time.

mtbr member
    The fox ranger shorts I have with a liner are... not good; they don't stretch, the Velcro waist tightener scratches, and the liner is like a cheap seat cushion for a chair. I prefer some kuhl hiking shorts I got long ago, but there are probably cheaper viable options.
    I can't see buying fox clothing again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggs1993 View Post
    The fox ranger shorts I have with a liner are... not good; they don't stretch, the Velcro waist tightener scratches, and the liner is like a cheap seat cushion for a chair. I prefer some kuhl hiking shorts I got long ago, but there are probably cheaper viable options.
    I can't see buying fox clothing again.
    I'm always surprised when I hear people say that. I always feel like the fox stuff is super nice. For me and my riding style at least.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've done six hour rides using a pair of bib bike shorts under some $15 baggy swim trunks. As long as the outer shell doesn't have a massive seam, it is all about the liner, not the shorts.

Avoid MTB shorts that have the inner chamois/liner permanently attached to the outer shell.

BTW, Carhartt makes better quarter zip lightweight jerseys than any bike manufacturer, and they are less than half the cost. I usually wait until one of the local farm supply stores has a Carhartt sale (they have them every few months) and buy then.

mtbr member
    Check out Nashbar.com they have inexpensive shorts

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Try these:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-...hort/48568103?
    Lightweight material that dries quick, belt loops, and 3 zippered pockets. The only thing I dont like is the elastic sides of the wasteband, but with a belt it does not matter. I have been using these for a year and they hold up good. 16.95 is about as cheap as you can get. Also no liner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by awilli View Post
    Try these:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-...hort/48568103?
    Lightweight material that dries quick, belt loops, and 3 zippered pockets. The only thing I dont like is the elastic sides of the wasteband, but with a belt it does not matter. I have been using these for a year and they hold up good. 16.95 is about as cheap as you can get. Also no liner.
    +1 on these Wrangler shorts. Light weight and a good fit for biking. And like a awilli said, the price is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hybrid shorts at costco, prob similar to the Wranglers... when used with liners, can't tell the diff between them and MTB specific shorts. But my fav shorts are the Zoic Black Market, both for riding and for casual wear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I get quality pearl izumi road bike shorts and some quick dry stretchy hiking shorts over. Seems to work just fine, plenty of pockets.

mtbr member
    i have the Fox Ranger shorts, comes with a chamois too. i moded the shorts, added belt loops. the velcro to tighten the shorts wouldnt hold for me

love em now

Always in the wrong gear

Hope that helps

I’ve had a black pair of these for like 2 years. I made the mistake of ‘sizing up’ because they were asian, I ordered a large, should have stuck with medium, possibly a small.. I have the waist cinch tabs all the way tight (32”waist) and the hem is at the bottom of my kneecap when I stand. Total ‘EnduroBro’ d-bag style.
    I will admit- They’re really comfy, and breathe well enough. The crotch is cut high enough it doesn’t get hung up on the saddle nose.
    I wear a pair of mesh liners made by Canari under them.
    I think I paid $20 for mine. Would 100% buy again, but in a smaller size.,
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I wear Magellan nylon fishing shorts I found at Academy. And they look amazingly like the Kuhl brand of shorts... without the ridiculous price.

mtbr member
    Quality bibs and whatever shorts you fancy to wear over them.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Anyone else use these:

https://www.dickies.com/cargo/tough-...r=RCB#start=10

At $25, I have had good luck with them after 3 weeks of moderate use for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

The other option, clearance items in the fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Endura Humvee and Humvee Lite, cheap and come with a clip in liner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here is what I do: get Gerry shorts from Costco and wear them over my 15 year old Pearl Izumi shorts. It works - I don't get too hot, the shorts are stretchy and comfortable.

https://www.costco.com/Gerry-Men%27s...100378411.html

I never liked the feel of riding shorts that are integrated with chamois, and will likely never get used to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Dickies flex hybrid shorts with a padded liner. on sale now, just google it there 20 bucks on sale.