Cheap Knee Pad and Size Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap Knee Pad and Size Recommendations

Sorry to make another knee pad thread - I know there are a lot of them. I did some searching but couldn't quite find the info I'm looking for. Basically, I'm a smaller guy 5'8 140lbs leg muscle is lean not bulky and I'm not sure what pads would fit me right. I'm thinking medium. I ride XC/AM and I want just a knee pad no shin and I want something light comfortable and wont slip when I ride. Cheaper the better. I was checking these out 661 H&H Veggie Knee Guard at Price Point
    Couldn't find any reviews and I don't really like the look but whatever they're just to keep me from messing up my knee's. Recommendations?

I've checked out a couple bike shops in town and they all carry the same generic stuff and it's all around $60-$80 If I wanted to buy something in that range I would go for the 661 evo's.
    Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!

mtbr member
    curious why cheap pads? knees and body parts aren't. veggies are ok for scrapes but not impacts. save up for better protection! you're probably worth it! 661 KStraits (better value than EVOs) are always on sale somewhere..winter sales and closeouts should be plenty.

mtbr member
    lizardskins

i am making a trip to Utah to get mine, well ok im hitting Zion, Moab and yellow stone too. But still for the price and how well they review i dont think you could do better for the price.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    artscyclery.com has free shipping both ways. They carry the 661,tld and some others. I bought different sizes and just returned the stuff that didnt fit.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the kyle straights from cambria for $50 shipped. I hope medium will fit me.
    Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got the same exact item at artcyclery for $46 shipped. I've used this same type of pads before, and they work great.

mtbr member
    For the guys who own the kyle straight knee pads, how do you avoid chafing on the back of your knee? I've tried adjusting them different ways, high lower, loose or tight, with long john pants on or just shorts it just really irritates and pinches the tendon on the back of my knee every time I pedal.
    Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!

Trail Ninja
    The skin there is simply sensitive and unaccustomed to that kind of contact. The skin will toughen up. That happens to almost everyone. They'll be comfy enough after a number of rides.

661 Kyle Straits are a good choice, BTW. I'm going back to them after trying the more expensive d30 pads. The more expensive pads are more breathable and are lighter, but the Kyle Straits are just more comfortable and less expensive. The d30 pads are falling apart at the holes in the neoprene, tearing like perforated paper. The other pads cost 2x more, but aren't anywhere close to being 2x better. Hard to justify the cost.