Cheap Helmet Cam- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap Helmet Cam

Will this helmet cam work? $100 is pretty cheap. Any experience?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Orego...oductDetail.do
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    32mb memory is pretty small. Probably good for less than a couple of minutes. 1gig of memory for it? Another $75-$100. It's also at 15 frames per second, so you'll be missing half of the action. Doesn't look like it has a microphone, so no sound either. Probably OK for a toy, but not enough for even an entry level hobbyist. For a 139 bucks you can get a 320 line helmet cam to attach to your sub $300 digicam. A few more bucks, but if you already have a digital camcorder, a far better solution, and a far better value.

trail rat
    I have been looking at this as well. Not a professional camera, but it is available for $100.00 in a local sporting goods store.
    http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...cid=86&pid=560

Looking at the owners manual online, it states that you can record 20-25 minutes of video without an SD card. It does have a microphone.
    http://www2.oregonscientific.com/ass...nuals/HC18.pdf

Yes, it is inexpensive, but might just work for a simple, fun camera. It is rugged and simple.

I'll probably buy one and will report back here.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlyfi
    32mb memory is pretty small. Probably good for less than a couple of minutes. 1gig of memory for it? Another $75-$100. It's also at 15 frames per second, so you'll be missing half of the action. Doesn't look like it has a microphone, so no sound either. Probably OK for a toy, but not enough for even an entry level hobbyist. For a 139 bucks you can get a 320 line helmet cam to attach to your sub $300 digicam. A few more bucks, but if you already have a digital camcorder, a far better solution, and a far better value.
    I agree on the memory, but you can add a SD card. But I still don't know how good that camera is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I agree on the memory, but you can add a SD card. But I still don't know how good that camera is.
    Okay, I read thru the manual. Looks to be fairly durable. Kind of cool that it takes stills as well. The optics are going to be questionable. SD memory is very stable, but the built in memory at 32mb is very low. According to the manual, the 1gig SD memory card will hold "up to 1 hour of video". A 1 gig SD card is going to run you about $70 minimum. A 512mb might be a little more than half thatt, that would be the minimum I could see having. The editing software it comes with is probably really bad, but if you have XP, you already have Movie Maker, and Macs have iMovie so you're probably covered on the software. And you will need to edit. So for about $150 plus batteries, you'll have a nice little toy, and you won't cry too much when you smash it. On the plus side it records in .avi, so your other editing software will handle it no problem.
    The biggest drawback I see is the fact it records only 15 frames per second. Normal video is at 30 frames per second. So like I alluded to in the previous post, you will literally only be catching half the action. The original video will be slightly choppy due to the decreased frame rate. Overall, I would say if you don't already have a digi camcorder, this would probably be a pretty cool introduction to the helmet cam world. If you have a digi camcorder, don't waste your money, get a real helmet cam for less money.

Members who have read this thread: 0